niranjan

Raspberrypi performance issue

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 am

Dear Raspberry pi team,

First I will introduce my self ,I am a social worker and I am working under adult literacy project in india. so to educate adults I bought your Raspberrypi and I am using Raspbian operating system. I designed some flash files(.swf) using Adobe Flash professional cs5.5 development tool and to run this files in Raspberry pi I am using Gnash Flash player .

problem Definition : when I am playing those flash files(.swf extension files) using Gnash SWF player the audio and video synchronization is not in proper way and sometimes the files were struck.

conclusion: give me any idea whether the problem is with player or Raspberry pi?????. suggest me how to avoid this problem. if I get any solution I will buy 100's of Raspberry pi's for my project

Raspberry pi model : model B (512 RAM)
flash player :Gnash Flash/SWF player
development tool :Adobe flash professional cs 5.5

note: these flash files are playing well in Computer with Adobe Flash Player

ghans

Re: Raspberrypi performance issue

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:29 am

Flash is dead on Linux and Android. There was never
a "Desktop Linux" version for ARM computers either.
The gnash project has always been lagging behind. It will
not get anywhere without copious amount of
money to fund additional software developers (donations !).

A practical solution would be buying used Wintel machines ,
which can be quite cheap. Forget all ARM GNU/Linux machines
(including the Pi) if you need to use Flash content.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Heater

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:48 am

niranjan,

I designed some flash files(.swf) using Adobe Flash professional cs5.5 development tool
Sad to say but that was a bit of a mistake.

FLASH is a dead technology. It is not available for mobile devices (or even Macs I think, any one know?)

Adobe itself has been saying that FLASH is a dead end since 2011.

I have never used Gnash but I can imagine that it is incomplete and slow. I can also imagine that nobody is interested in developing it further because, well, FLASH is dead.

I like ghans, I don't think acquiring Intel machines is the solution to your problem. That just means you will just be desperately perpetuating a dead technology and creating more swf content that is forever stuck on legacy PCs.

No, the solution is to do your work in a technology that has a future. That will be usable on many platforms, including the Pi, for many years to come.

Basically pretty much anything one does in FLASH can be done with modern web standards in the browser so that is the route I would take. HTML5, CSS, JavaScript.

Perhaps others have suggestions...
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

niranjan

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am

Heater wrote:niranjan,

I designed some flash files(.swf) using Adobe Flash professional cs5.5 development tool
Sad to say but that was a bit of a mistake.

FLASH is a dead technology. It is not available for mobile devices (or even Macs I think, any one know?)

Adobe itself has been saying that FLASH is a dead end since 2011.

I have never used Gnash but I can imagine that it is incomplete and slow. I can also imagine that nobody is interested in developing it further because, well, FLASH is dead.

I like ghans, I don't think acquiring Intel machines is the solution to your problem. That just means you will just be desperately perpetuating a dead technology and creating more swf content that is forever stuck on legacy PCs.

No, the solution is to do your work in a technology that has a future. That will be usable on many platforms, including the Pi, for many years to come.

Basically pretty much anything one does in FLASH can be done with modern web standards in the browser so that is the route I would take. HTML5, CSS, JavaScript.

Perhaps others have suggestions...

Dear Heater & ghans,

First I would like to express my sincere thanks for your response . Mr heater in your last post you mentioned that "we can do flash content with modern web standards like HTML ,JavaScript,CSS in browser "
could you give me some clear information about that development . what I mean that , Is there any development tools and tutorials for developing flash content using HTML,JavaScript & CSS or we have to write the entire code

your information will useful for so many adult illiterates

ghans

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:01 am

Sorry , you either have to buy new Adobe development software (expensive) which supports HTML5 technologies
or rewrite everything , perhaps in a completely different way (with a game engine which uses Broadcom OpenGL ES instead of GLX-with-Mesa) ,which
is even more expensive.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ktb

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:11 am

I was going to suggest looking for something canvas based like KinteticJS, but it looks like that project died :cry: . The last time I looked around, there were at least a few impressive HTML5 canvas and JavaScript based drawing and animation libraries.

Maybe this is a new fork https://github.com/konvajs/konva (http://lavrton.github.io/KineticJS/) ?

ghans

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:15 am

Note that browser-based systems are IMHO only viable on the new RPi2 or when Collabora WebKit3 actually becomes stable and supports WebGL properly on RPi1.

Otherwise web technologies have lackluster performance on RPi1 , and you should use any language which can actually use OpenGL ES directly without a browser (node.js *might* count here).

I have no idea how well software rendering works inside browsers on the RPi2.

ghans

niranjan

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:58 am

Dear All,

Thank you for your support messages , I am in doubt that "In Raspberry pi 2 specifications they mentioned that it support windows 10 customised version "

My doubt is "if it supports windows 10 whether it support Adobe Flash player or not :?: :?: :?: why I am asking is if it support
Adobe Flash player than there is a possibility

note: my flash files are playing well on my windows computer
Any suggestions will be appreciated. :roll: :roll: :roll:

ghans

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:22 am

It's very unlikely. Windows 10 "IoT" on the Pi is not comparable
to Windows on a desktop - it won't be compatible with
any "standard" Windows software compiled for PCs like
Flash.

ghans

rpdom

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:29 am

Simple answer: No. Adobe Flash Player does not run on any Pi (or other ARM based hardware), Windows or otherwise.

Heater

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 am

niranjan,

Sorry I may not have been clear. I was not meaning that HTML5 technologies could be used to present actual content of .swf files. But rather that similar text, graphics, animations can be made in HTML5/CSS/JavaScript as used to be made in FLASH.

I would not recommend using Adobe tools, I'm sure the output will be bloated and slow and not Pi friendly. Probably expensive as well.

Forget about the Windows 10 thing. At least for now it has no graphics at all.

So what to do?

I think at this point perhaps you should tell us the nature of your flash content. As it's concerned with literacy I could guess it's fairly simple "slide shows" of pictures and words, maybe with some multiple choice questions and such.

If we knew a bit about the content and it complexity perhaps we could come up with suitable solutions. Is there an example we could see on the net?

Is it really necessary that this be used with a browser at all? Could an application on the Pi do the job? There seem to be lot's of graphical programs available that might be useful.

Whatever solution it will take work on your part to create it for the Pi. But if you have all the text, pictures and other assets already it may not be such a big job.

Edit: In terms of HTML5 technology there are libraries available that make using HTML5 canvas and such things much easier. For example this looks nice: http://fabricjs.com/ and is exactly designed to do a lot of what FLASH does. I have no idea how well it might perform on a Pi. You only have to visit that page from a Pi to find out I guess.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

niranjan

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:02 am

Heater wrote:niranjan,

Sorry I may not have been clear. I was not meaning that HTML5 technologies could be used to present actual content of .swf files. But rather that similar text, graphics, animations can be made in HTML5/CSS/JavaScript as used to be made in FLASH.

I would not recommend using Adobe tools, I'm sure the output will be bloated and slow and not Pi friendly. Probably expensive as well.

Forget about the Windows 10 thing. At least for now it has no graphics at all.

So what to do?

I think at this point perhaps you should tell us the nature of your flash content. As it's concerned with literacy I could guess it's fairly simple "slide shows" of pictures and words, maybe with some multiple choice questions and such.

If we knew a bit about the content and it complexity perhaps we could come up with suitable solutions. Is there an example we could see on the net?

Is it really necessary that this be used with a browser at all? Could an application on the Pi do the job? There seem to be lot's of graphical programs available that might be useful.

Whatever solution it will take work on your part to create it for the Pi. But if you have all the text, pictures and other assets already it may not be such a big job.

Edit: In terms of HTML5 technology there are libraries available that make using HTML5 canvas and such things much easier. For example this looks nice: http://fabricjs.com/ and is exactly designed to do a lot of what FLASH does. I have no idea how well it might perform on a Pi. You only have to visit that page from a Pi to find out I guess.

Heater,

Thank you for your support . To give you clarity I am sending the link which indicate my requirement.

The process of literacy program contains 3 sections
1.reading
2.writing the letters [ here I have to show some animation which shows writing letter with graphical hand&pen]
3. arithmetic [in this section learner has to drag some letters into answer boxes to do exercise]

apart from this there is need of character animation [to motivate the learner with some character as a teacher ]

here the link is http://www.tcsion.com/dotcom/ALP/Hindidemo.html

http://www.tcsion.com/dotcom/ALP/demo.html

please do needful

ghans

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:47 pm

What Heater is proposing is nothing short of a complete rewrite for which you would need a professional software developer. Or you
could learn programming yourself. The first approach costs money , the second approach lots and lots of time.

I will be blunt : This is not a viable project. Forget the Pi and use PCs instead.

ghans

ghans

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 pm

It seems that i spoke too soon :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=99202
But i does not seem to work well for full HD video.

ghans

pluggy

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Flash is dead like VGA is dead, obsolete but still very widely used. Rescue old PC's from the skip and put Ubuntu on them, Flash still works fine on X86 linux. You can even have a shiny new version if you run Chrome. Its version 11 otherwise but it still works and its still regularly updated.

Can't live without BBC iPlayer....

Gnash is right up there with chocolate fireguards.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

niranjan

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:03 am

Dear All,

finally I got some output by trying with new version of raspbian and Gnash swf player

with this changes the functionality of my files working well for some time from restart . But after some time delay is comming between audio and video of animation and the files playing very slow

I tried with turbo mode which boost the raspberry pi performance , with this I got some improvement in playing that files.

can Anyone guide me to improve some more performance

my system environment :
configuration of raspberry pi

raspberry pi model : b
Processor : 700Mhz ARM6
RAM : 512MB
external memory card which acts like hard disk : 8GB

software environment:

operating system : Raspbian (version : february 2015)
swf player : Gnash 0.8.10
flash files format : .SWF

ghans

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 am

Neither your existing Pi nor gnash are going to get magically faster. This is a dead-end.

I still think your efforts are futile , but if you have enough time and money
you could try using the Pi2 with Chromium and the Pepper Flash plugin instead (Check the link in my previous post).

ghans

jdunson

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:01 pm

As several others have noted, Flash is a dead end. You will eventually need to find a new way of doing things. However, there are some things you could consider in the short run:

* In places like the US and UK, the newer Pi B Model 2 is available; it has 1024M (1G) RAM and four cores, for the same cost as the old Pi B or B+. For running gnash, it is likely that this would improve things considerably; many SWF files are memory intensive, and having more than one core may help with things getting out of synch. (It will certainly do a better job of running Epiphany if you convert to HTML5, see below.)

On a brief check, it looks like the Pi B Model 2 is still somewhat more expensive in India; this will hopefully change, as the official price is the same. If you are serious about ordering 100 of them you can probably save money by ordering them as a bulk lot from a better supplier.

* Google has a project called Swiffy which you really should look at. It converts existing SWF files to HTML5, and also has a plug-in for Adobe Flash Pro that lets you output HTML5 directly. You should convert one of your projects and see if it works better as HTML5, especially in Epiphany browser on the Pi.

niranjan

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 am

Dear All,

After this conversation I designed animation using HTML 5 but the problem is the animation is not happening in any browser , like I tested in Midori , Iceweasel, netsurfer , Dilo, epiphany
anyone can guide me to run that HTML 5 animation file

Thanks&Regards
Niranjan

ghans

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 am

Do you have a Raspberry Pi 2 now ? By the way , did you manually write the animation yourself or did you use an export function of the Adobe software you have ? Or did you use a conversion tool like Swiffy ?

If you have a Pi2 , i urge you to try the animation in the kweb3 browser instead :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=40860

If you have a Pi1 , i will say that i disagree with the other posters and don't think a JavaScript-based solution is fast enough (at least not inside Browsers).

ghans

niranjan

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am

Hi ghans,

thank you for your response . I have raspberry pi 1 and we designed HTML5 animation files manually. If I try with raspberry pi 2 , is it possible to run files which includes HTML5+Javascript+CSS ?

suggest me with best option

Thanks&Regards
K.Niranjan

gkreidl

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

niranjan wrote: .... I have raspberry pi 1 and we designed HTML5 animation files manually. If I try with raspberry pi 2 , is it possible to run files which includes HTML5+Javascript+CSS ?

suggest me with best option

Thanks&Regards
K.Niranjan
Send me an example (HTML file + Javscript + CSS) and I'll test it for you.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Forrrge

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 am

This also might be of interest, its a free tool to Create HTML5 games and Flash Style Animations easily

http://booty5.com/

Return to “General discussion”