vinntec

RS up to their tricks again...

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:00 am

I have an awful feeling of deja vu from ordering my first RPi a few of years ago... RS accepted my order for RPI 2 yesterday saying all items in my order were in stock so would be despatched for next day delivery, ie today. No despatch note came and I cannot find any information about my order on My Account, so I queried it this morning - now it is on backlog due to high demand and personal orders are backlogged in favour of business accounts. So who knows when it will be sent as there was no information about this. What a waste of time. :(
Annoyed of Basingstoke

Mennims

Re: RS up to their tricks again...

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:02 am

I ordered my new Pi from RS in South Africa yesterday, at 3pm. I was also worrying because I got no dispatch notice, but today I got it at 9am. So don't worry probably gonna take time.

vinntec

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 am

Hi M - In my case I spoke to RS directly as my order has disappeared from my personal account's list of orders so I can't even see what status it has. They told me it was put on back-order. I checked everything in my basket was showing as in stock seconds before pressing the purchase button, so at that moment everything was ready to be sent and I got an order confirmation saying it would be sent. Without telling me, just like the first time around, I got bounced to an unknown delivery date and the order has vanished off my order list.

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:14 am

vinntec wrote:Annoyed of Basingstoke
RS did the same to me with my first model B it took 12 weeks from order to delivery. I buy my Raspberry Pis from CPC/Farnell now.

Not Quite So Annoyed, Also from Basingstoke.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 57&t=87328
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

vinntec

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Dougie - yes I got stung by them too, but a lot longer than you as I pre-ordered and somehow ended up at the back of the queue of about 6 months. I ordered a Mk1 and got a Mk3 Model B! Hence why I am sceptical about getting the RPi2 anytime soon.

Spoke to RS again and they now say they are "working through the orders" and incidentally can't cancel it as the order is not on the system. All very familiar - how stupid of me to trust RS again (who I use for loads of other things).

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:53 am

vinntec wrote:Spoke to RS again and they now say they are "working through the orders" and incidentally can't cancel it as the order is not on the system. All very familiar - how stupid of me to trust RS again (who I use for loads of other things).
That smells like the usual RS bovine excrement.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 am

The resellers like Pimoroni have some levels of stock, and Sony are upping production to 80k per week....there should be plenty to go round in a few days.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

barrybarryk

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Yep, it certainly looks like it.

I ordered yesterday morning and got my standard order confirmation through with:
Date of order: Mon, 2 Feb 2015, 13:02
Delivery type: Next working day (despatch Mon,2 Feb 2015) – applies to stocked products only
Then about twenty minutes ago I got another one a shiny new one with a different order date but the same order number with:
Date of order: : 03/02/2015
and
Delivery/Collection Date: 06/02/2015
Sigh, I guess that's another 20 mins on the phone to try figure out what's going on.

Massi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:10 pm

i ordered my p2 yesterday from italian RS.
Pi2 in stock
order accepted.

Today, order canceled and Pi2 available starting 20 february.
i hate this.
any idea about getting a Pi2 in italy?

vinntec

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Update on my order - got a second order acknowledgement saying that I placed the order today! Check stock on RS site and it says it has over 100,000 RPI 2 in stock... Still says it has 22,000+ now but after that next shipment in MAY!

But I have now received the dreaded "We're really sorry... Yesterday we launched the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B to the world. Due to the high demand for this exciting product you may experience a delay to your delivery. We are working hard to resolve the issue and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. You will receive an email confirming when your order is ready to be despatched. Thank you for your patience." which will be very familiar to the early adopters of the original Pi.

So look like they are taking orders on stock they don't have - just like the first time around. If it doesn't ship tonight, I will cancel it tomorrow and use one of my existing Pi instead for a project I had in mind. No doubt I will need the mind of Alan Turing to make sense of their cancellation process...

Not impressed. Enthusiasm waning...

blachanc

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:49 pm

From a Canadian perspective:

Newark/element14:
I pre ordered 2 PI2/NOOBS bundle, and knew about the fact that it was not in stock.
But the shipping went from $8CAD to $20CAD flat rate which is awful...

RASPBERRY PI 2 MODEL B 8GB NOOBS (38Y6469)

I guess nothing is perfect. You need to choose your evil.
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

mad-hatter

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Hello,

I hate to say this, but:-
Ordered from RS(UK) Monday - 9:30 am.
By 10:30 am. Tuesday, was set up and working.
Praise to RS.

Regards

macbreak

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 pm

RS were the ones who filled my ears with lots of positive niceties about how they'd "love to help you with your review..." for the B+, and came across all charming and helpful, but didn't once bother to get back to me after all the corporate marketing lip service. It was actually Farnell who took a no delay, no nonsense approach - the very nice man said he liked the sound of my voice and really wanted to help me, and that he'd already shipped me a kit to review. Yesterday, he was kind enough to do the same thing yet again for the Pi 2, no fluffy cuddly corporate lip service, just an honest bloke who is capable of making snap decisions in order to get things moving, instead of keeping me hanging on hot air and empty promises (RS).

Farnell: 2, RS: Nil.

lastof

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Also regretting going with RS for my 3. Same story as the rest of you. I tried their web chat at about 2pm (GMT) to see if I could get any more information, was just told "yes, it will be delivered Friday like the new email claims", and then asked for my order number when I wanted more details (which show that they didn't even bother checking information before making assurances.

Looking back at past emails it looks like I always used Farnell previously, can't remember having issues with them apart from in the original wave back in the day (and to be fair, no one really expected the demand back then). Will have to try to remember in the future, just hope they actually arrive Friday.

vinntec

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Hey - I have a despatch notice from RS UK... For everything except the RPI2...

So I look on the RS UK website and it stills says that the RPI2 is "In stock for delivery next working day".

Now the REALLY annoying bit, Check stock level for 100,000 units and what is the answer: "22998 In stock - 2 Locations 22998 Next working day (UK stock) 77002 Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 07/05/2015, delivery next working day" WTF? So why can't I have one of the 22,998 they have?

Well I can use the new power supplies and the microSD cards with my existing collection of RPIs, all of which are put to good use. So the RPI2 will be cancelled tomorrow. What an absolute shower. :x

paulie

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:04 pm

I tried to order yesterday from RS on my phone. Tried to add card details, but website just went back & wouldn't accept payment.
Phoned them & they took payment. No confirming email. Phoned lunchtime today & they said they had no access to the ordering system.
No idea if I will receive a pi2 next week, or next month, or at all.
Not a happy bunny
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

robwriter

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Same here. The email I got yesterday stated delivery today but at 17.30 today I got an email saying there was a delay.

Given it's not the first time you think they'd have figured out this could happen.

I don't buy a lot of the stuff RS sell, but I'll definitely take my business elsewhere next time.

morcar

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Saw the pi 2 was out yesterday bought it from RS and had it today. I cant fault them

blachanc

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 pm

FYI...
extracted from twitter:

https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi
Raspberry Pi ‏@Raspberry_Pi 10m10 minutes ago

We have sufficient infrastructure to meet demand - Sony are making 20,000 units a day currently! We've come a long way since 2012...
Raspberry Pi ‏@Raspberry_Pi 11m11 minutes ago
To those of you receiving emails from suppliers stating a delay in your Pi 2 deliveries - don't worry, it'll be more like days than months!
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:15 pm

RS delivered my RPi 2 B this afternoon, ordered at 8:15 yesterday

..any offers ? ROFL :lol:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

macbreak

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:RS delivered my RPi 2 B this afternoon, ordered at 8:15 yesterday

..any offers ? ROFL :lol:
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse; keep it and enjoy it... :P

rahlquist

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 am

blachanc wrote:From a Canadian perspective:

Newark/element14:
From a US perspective, MCMElectronics, placed my order yesterday, showed as in stock with an expected ship date of 2/3/15. Order is still pending and no movement and new orders show them as backordered... I hope they don't jerk me around too much I have been doing business with them since 1981 or so. I wish Amazon would be a primary distributor...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:24 am

jamesh wrote:The resellers like Pimoroni have some levels of stock, and Sony are upping production to 80k per week....there should be plenty to go round in a few days.
Heard about that...but I'm just a trifle dubious.

1. *When* will the production hit that level?
2. Does that cover all models of Pi?
3. Does that--perhaps--include the upcoming display?
4. Eben said that sales are running at 200K per month. At 80K per week, that's about 320K per month (or a bit more). With this surge in demand on top of normal sales...how long will it take for suppliers to keep stock on hand?

ktb

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30 am

Ordered from http://www.newark.com / Element14 @ 2/2/15 3.18 AM

Merchandise Total $35.00
Shipping $8.66
Additional Charges $0.00
Tax $3.24
Total $46.90

Spartanburg, SC -> Chicago, IL

Scheduled Delivery:
Wednesday, 02/04/2015, By End of Day

exartemarte

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:10 am

I learned my lesson with RS at the time of the original launch. It wasn't the interminable delays so much as the fact that they took my money on day one. I've bought a number of Pis since then, and lots of other stuff, but nothing from RS.

Return to “General discussion”