gordon77

Re: The Raspberry Pi 2 Q&A thread

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 am

What kind of speed increase will we see in everyday stuff like python? I'm afraid Sunspider and NEON etc mean nothing to me :roll:

abarnes1

Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:50 am

So someone else mentioned that windows 10 may be a cut down version or have no GUI? Is it not possible to just install a regular copy of windows 10 on this thing onto a usb or the Micro SD?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:35 am

Nightwing2012 wrote:Cannot find this item...

Will the RPI 2 handled above 32GB SDHC style cards.

Tnks for any information!
Considering that people have used cards larger than that with the Model B/B+, one would expect so.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:57 am

ktb wrote:
Efcis wrote:According to other posts, Win10 for Pi2 won't have any GUI. Can you confirm ?

And what about the Ubuntu distro for the Pi2 ?

Thanks !
Everything I've seen about Win10 IoT suggests that it is all CLI. Maybe the Pi2 can run (limited?) GUI apps that have been deployed to it though? I haven't found any certain information.

I've seen a couple seemingly relevant Ubuntu Snappy Core demo videos on YouTube. Those seemed to only demonstrate using it as a cloud server with remote web GUIs.

I'd like to know more too.
Ubuntu and Windows NT are for "Internet of Things" developers, they are not standard Operating Systems

At present according to what I can glean Raspbian is still the recommended Operating System

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/ ... pi2support

http://www.ubuntu.com/things
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Nightwing2012

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:59 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:

Considering that people have used cards larger than that with the Model B/B+, one would expect so.
Thank you!

Have a project that 32GB is a bit tight in size for it.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 am

Hi !

I'm very excited right now because i receive my rpi2 tomorrow :)

I'm wondering what are the recommended cflags for compiling on the new Broadcom processor. Does it have neon ? I don't know if neon can be used with vfp or if it totally replaces it ?

joan

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:04 am

The PI 2 has broken all the existing software which directly access the Broadcom peripherals.

This doesn't reconcile with
Nonetheless, there comes a point when there’s no substitute for more memory and CPU performance. Our challenge was to figure out how to get this without throwing away our investment in the platform or spoiling all those projects and tutorials which rely on the precise details of the Raspberry Pi hardware.
Any software which modifies the gpios (other than through the sysfs interface) and any software which directly accesses the peripherals will need to be changed.

Is this change limited to the peripheral base address change and the mapping from physical to bus addresses?

Fidelius

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:19 am

rpiswag wrote:Can I over clock the new Raspberry Pi 2 model B? Can I overclock it to 1.2ghz or higher? I was wondering this because windows 10 is quite intensive especially on a Raspberry Pi and overclocking would make windows run smoother.
I don't have a Pi2 yet, unfortunately. However on the Pi1 after a "sudo apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade" the program raspi-config (which I use to overclock the Pi1 to perfectly stable 1,000 MHz aka "Turbo" mode), shows this new entry at the bottom :

Code: Select all

Chose overclock preset                                   

None    700MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt 
Modest  800MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt 
Medium  900MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 2 overvolt 
High    950MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt 
Turbo  1000MHz ARM, 500MHz core, 600MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt
Pi2    1000MHz ARM, 500MHz core, 500MHz SDRAM, 2 overvolt

rpdom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:28 am

Is 1GB the limit of the BCM2836, or can it support larger chips? If so, are such chips available?

I'm just wondering, as I'm sure someone else will ask for "moar memorrrrry - neeed 16TB minimum!111!11.1" at some point (256MB is plenty for me).

ktb

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:41 am

rpdom wrote:Is 1GB the limit of the BCM2836, or can it support larger chips? If so, are such chips available?

I'm just wondering, as I'm sure someone else will ask for "moar memorrrrry - neeed 16TB minimum!111!11.1" at some point (256MB is plenty for me).
This was answered in the blog post comments:

SergeantFTC says: 2nd Feb 2015 at 4:33 pm
What is the 2836’s RAM limit? Is there a possibility of the foundation releasing a model with more RAM but the same processor, as was done with the original Pi?

James Hughes says: 2nd Feb 2015 at 4:37 pm
1GB, so at max already.

Heater

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:53 am

I'm may have missed some discussion of this but...

Isn't Raspbian on the Pi 2 redundant?

My understanding is the Raspbian exists solely to provide Debian packages compiled with optimizations for the Pi that were not available from Debian itself.

Further, that the Pi 2 can run Debian ARM efficiently without the Raspbian optimizations.

Would it not be better to simply be able to use regular upstream Debian packages for ARM on the Pi 2 now ?

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 am

The current Raspberry Pi1s can use SDXC. The only requirement is that NOOBS must run from a FAT16/FAT32 partition starting at the low numbered cylinders/tracks/sectors on the card.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:57 am

Heater wrote:I'm may have missed some discussion of this but...

My understanding is the Raspbian exists solely to provide Debian packages compiled with optimizations for the Pi that were not available from Debian itself.

Further, that the Pi 2 can run Debian ARM efficiently without the Raspbian optimizations.

Would it not be better to simply be able to use regular upstream Debian packages for ARM on the Pi 2 now ?
There's quite a large collection of packages that are Raspberry Pi specific.

Also Raspbian isn't going away for the 4,500,000 Pi1 users.

For Pi2 using vanilla DebIan does make sense with a special repo for the Raspberry Pi specifics.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 am

Heater wrote:I'm may have missed some discussion of this but...

Raspbian is still relevant you just need to fully update prior to booting up a RPi2 B

The BCM2835 / 36 SoC used in the Pi's is different to the type of SoC's used in the majority of ARM devices, therefore the optimizations relevant to the GPU are still relevant afaiaa.

Likely in time Debian ARMHF Jessie may have full support but as stated Raspbian is still the de-facto OS
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

rafaelSorel

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:12 am

Hello,

Any one knows if the new pi2 will run the omxplayer as for the pi1 without any changes. Or omxplayer needs to be changed in order to suit the new shipset ?

Thanks

simpex

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 am

If Raspberry Pi 2 can run Windows 10, will it work with all USB camera accepted by Windows 10 full PC version?

SynonZelra

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 am

some for concerns as follows:

1.we see win10 is on the way, is there any plan on android yet?
2.any further information on DSI TFT?
3.power consumption between the model b+ and pi2?

Thanks

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:00 am

rafaelSorel wrote:Hello,

Any one knows if the new pi2 will run the omxplayer as for the pi1 without any changes. Or omxplayer needs to be changed in order to suit the new shipset ?

Thanks
Everything that runs on PI1 today should run on PI2. (There will be some edge cases that make assumptions on the memory layout and break, but most regular software will "just work".)

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:02 am

Applicable_Robotics wrote:Does the foundation have a time frame for the release of the Compute Module 2?
Also, have you considered making a version of the compute module that uses a microSD card instead of a fixed size eMMC chip? That also might eliminate the eMMC disable circuit?
Maybe another solution is using a header similar to the one on the Intel Edison as a storage connector.
I think a lot of applications would benefit from allowing the user to increase the size of the storage as needed.
Nicholas
CM2 is in the works, but no fixed release date yet. We may look at microSD/eMMC options during the CM2 design process.
psergiu wrote:Will MPEG2 and VC-1 licences still be needed for hardware-decoding ?
Or is the new quad-core CPU fast enough that it would not matter anymore ?

Thanks.
To use the hardware decoding for VC1/MPEG2, licence keys are still required. Software decode, while much improved, won't be as fast as the hardware for quite some time - we will be looking at optimising software decode for multithreaded/NEON performance enhancements.
rpiswag wrote:Can I over clock the new Raspberry Pi 2 model B? Can I overclock it to 1.2ghz or higher? I was wondering this because windows 10 is quite intensive especially on a Raspberry Pi and overclocking would make windows run smoother.
Overclockability between Pi1 and Pi2 should be similar.

Windows 10 isn't the windows 10 you are thinking of.
Efcis wrote:According to other posts, Win10 for Pi2 won't have any GUI. Can you confirm ?

And what about the Ubuntu distro for the Pi2 ?

Thanks !
http://windowsondevices.com

SDXC cards >32GB are already supported - as long as they have been formatted to FAT32/imaged properly before use.
gordon77 wrote:What kind of speed increase will we see in everyday stuff like python? I'm afraid Sunspider and NEON etc mean nothing to me :roll:
Single-threaded compute performance for tight loops (i.e. C or assembly routines) would be 1.8-2x faster. Compute performance for stuff with a larger memory footprint (interpreted languages like Java, Javascript, Ruby/Python) will benefit proportionally more due to the L2 cache.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

rafaelSorel

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:05 am

DougieLawson wrote:
rafaelSorel wrote:Hello,

Thanks
Everything that runs on PI1 today should run on PI2. (There will be some edge cases that make assumptions on the memory layout and break, but most regular software will "just work".)
Ok, Thats what I have understand since they have put the same videoCore IV so no changes on hardware acceleration for video decoding neither on 3D applications that uses EGL .

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am

simpex wrote:If Raspberry Pi 2 can run Windows 10, will it work with all USB camera accepted by Windows 10 full PC version?
The Windows 10 for IoT on Raspberry PI 2 appears to be some degree of vapour-ware at this point in time.
Microsoft wrote: Q: What APIs are supported in this release?
A: In this initial preview release, we’re supporting the standard Arduino Wiring API set, and a subset of Win32.

Q: What UI stacks do you support?
A: For this release, we’ve targeted Galileo, which is a headless device, without any built-in support for standard displays. For that reason, we do not include any UI stack in the device, beyond the command line interface (via Telnet). However, being a dev kit, you can do all kinds of projects communicating which wire in small display devices such as, ePaper, liquid crystal, etc.
-- http://ms-iot.github.io/content/WelcomeAndFAQ.htm

Microsoft are committed to supporting the RaspPi 2 and I expect that when they do, they will support screens. (All I know is the publicly available info; I don't have any inside knowledge.)

Also bear in mind that most drivers are provided by the device manufacturers, not Microsoft. The desktop Windows drivers are written for x86 processors and will not work with ARM, even the Raspberry Pi 2 ARMv7. If Windows 10 for IoT gains a foothold, then the manufacturers may find it worthwhile to port their drivers to it. I would not expect them all to, certainly not on release day.

Therefore, the answer to your question is, almost certainly, no.

Elnef

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

I have a Raspi model B like NAS. And I have a usb Harddisk write speed about 7 MB/s. The harddisk is EXT4.

Is the RASPI 2 faster?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:35 am

gordon77 wrote:What kind of speed increase will we see in everyday stuff like python? I'm afraid Sunspider and NEON etc mean nothing to me :roll:
Basic data crunching in python using all four cores in four threads gave me 13.6 times faster (than B+) performance on the Pi2...

http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

ktb

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 am

alexeames wrote:
Basic data crunching in python using all four cores in four threads gave me 13.6 times faster (than B+) performance on the Pi2...

http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement
Neat. Thanks for sharing the info and putting the code on GitHub. I think the python threading example could help a lot of people.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:55 am

abarnes1 wrote:So someone else mentioned that windows 10 may be a cut down version or have no GUI? Is it not possible to just install a regular copy of windows 10 on this thing onto a usb or the Micro SD?
Good question. Given that this "Windows 10" thing is turning out to be just a bad joke (for a variety of reasons), the relevant question is: Is the new Pi powerful enough (CPU, RAM) to run real (x86) Windows (not any version of this "10" abomination) effectively under some emulator (e.g., QEMU, etc) ?

That's the real question.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “General discussion”