tesla01

Re: The Raspberry Pi 2 Q&A thread

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:28 pm

mikronauts> I'm currently compiled one so when it's ready i can send you the img if you want

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Thank you dom!

That is great news, I'll rpi-update one of the Pi 2 B's that are supposed to be arriving tomorrow.

I'll report any issues I run into with it, to help y'all find any potential multi-legged creatures, and I can help re-test any fixes (should I run into any trouble).
dom wrote:
mikronauts wrote:I am glad to hear that... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? Ideally, it could be as simple as:
The current rpi-update kernel does have the full 1G supported (but breaks sonic pi). That will become the "stable" kernel in the future when we have a solution for the sonic pi problem.

So, the full 1G of sdram will be available in the future when we believe it's stable for use uses.
If you want it now, then run rpi-update, but be aware that sonic pi (and possibly other apps) may break.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Thank you tesla01!

dom posted that rpi-update will install the 1gig capable kernel, but I will definitely take you up on it if that does not work for me.
tesla01 wrote:mikronauts> I'm currently compiled one so when it's ready i can send you the img if you want
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

Codge

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:47 pm

raspberry_user wrote:Anybody knows the exact size and weight of this new product?
41.67 g with an 8 Gig card plugged in, 41.42 g bare.
Obviously, a higher capacity card would weigh more!
;o)

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:03 pm

mikronauts wrote:I am glad to hear that... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? Ideally, it could be as simple as:

sudo apt-get install nonsonic-kernel

as I am sure such a kernel exists internally, this should take little time to implement (just add to raspbian repo) - and make many people happy :)
liz wrote:It's not a permanent state of affairs - we expect to get a fix in for that in the next couple of weeks.
Build your own. The kernel compile with make -j 6 (to use all four cpus) should fly.
It's not difficult.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:49 pm

I know it is not difficult, but it does take time to set up for it, and it is not something I can expect regular users to do.

Fortunately dom said rpi-update will install the 1gig capable kernel

Now I won't have to write in the review "I had to rebuild the kernel to be able to use 1GB of ram instead of 768MB", and instead can write that RPF support came through again, and very quickly.

For my reviews, in order to be fair, I try to report on the out of box experience, and try to avoid having to build kernels, drivers, etc., or having to do significant performance tuning. This is also why I don't include overclocked results.
DougieLawson wrote:

as I am sure such a kernel exists internally, this should take little time to implement (just add to raspbian repo) - and make many people happy :)
liz wrote:It's not a permanent state of affairs - we expect to get a fix in for that in the next couple of weeks.
Build your own. The kernel compile with make -j 6 (to use all four cpus) should fly.
It's not difficult.

Mequa

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Katch wrote:
pico wrote:So I was interested in trying out RaspBMC on the RPi 2 (just received it today.) I haven't had any luck getting the RaspBMC sd card that I had running on a B+ to boot, even after the apt-get upgrade steps described above. So I went back to NOOBS, (got the latest revision 1.3.12), but NOOBS said it wouldn't install RaspBMC on the RPi 2. Actually, trying a few of the others, it looks like the only OS it will install from the NOOBS menu is Raspbian. Is this correct?

Anyway, anyone got XBMC running on Raspbian on the RPi2 so far? If so, what's the recommended installation path?
RaspBMC is not supported on the RPi2 - you'll need to move on to Sam's OSMC project as he has stated he will not be updating RaspBMC again.
How about OpenELEC on RPi2?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Removed see next post
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

DirkS

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Mequa wrote:How about OpenELEC on RPi2?
http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/154 ... 1-released

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:17 pm

mikronauts wrote:I know it is not difficult, but it does take time to set up for it, and it is not something I can expect regular users to do.

Fortunately dom said rpi-update will install the 1gig capable kernel

Now I won't have to write in the review "I had to rebuild the kernel to be able to use 1GB of ram instead of 768MB", and instead can write that RPF support came through again, and very quickly.

For my reviews, in order to be fair, I try to report on the out of box experience, and try to avoid having to build kernels, drivers, etc., or having to do significant performance tuning. This is also why I don't include overclocked results.
DougieLawson wrote:

It's not difficult.
The initial problem was that the issue with SOnic Pi was discovered very late. I don't know why. Which meant quick decisions, which may, or may not, have been right. I think they were right, because Sonic Pi is used a lot for education, and that is the main purpose of the Raspi (If you have never tried it, try it - it's great)

But I would expect performance tests to run at similar speeds on either memory split - and I have found that the speed improvement is massive even with the low memory version.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 pm

jamesh wrote: The initial problem was that the issue with SOnic Pi was discovered very late. I don't know why. Which meant quick decisions, which may, or may not, have been right. I think they were right, because Sonic Pi is used a lot for education, and that is the main purpose of the Raspi (If you have never tried it, try it - it's great)

But I would expect performance tests to run at similar speeds on either memory split - and I have found that the speed improvement is massive even with the low memory version.
I have not tried SonicPi so far, but now I will :) it might hook some of my nephew's on Pi's.

I agree, most small benchmarks would run the same, though UnixBench and 'dd' may show a difference, and it would help when running multiple applications or keeping a ridiculous number of browser windows open.

I've been considering adding recompiling gcc as an additional benchmark, and there I think we would see quite a difference.

Last time I recompiled gcc on the Pi (propgcc) it was something to do overnight, while I slept...

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
PuppetHoundZ wrote:What's the Performance comparisions of a Raspberry Pi 1 B+ in turbo mode vs a Raspberry Pi 2 B on default clock? That would be a interesting piece of info! :geek:
http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement
I'll read that again. I skimmed through it but, I guess you're implying that I try it out for myself huh? ;) I mean I could try it but I only own a PiB+.

Anyone willing to try it before me?

allfox

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 am

liz wrote:
allfox wrote:Does anyone know when could I get a Pi 2 in China?
Farnell is making some green Pis in China for the far-eastern market - they're mechanically identical to the Welsh ones. You can buy from them in China; RS is selling the Welsh ones worldwide, and have an established presence in China.
Thank you. I'm checking element14's website.

tesla01

Re: The Raspberry Pi 2 Q&A threadt

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:00 am

Mikronauts> sucessfull compile and boot custom kernel with 1go ram avalaible (minus gpu share mem)
Do you want the binary? I will upload it on github :)

EtonMess

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:00 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:I'm curious as to *why* people want to run a large SD card with the Pi.

It seems pretty clear to me that if you are doing "big data" things on a Pi, the right way to do it is to boot from the SD (keeping it in the 8G range) and put your data on a HDD.
Depends on what you are doing with the Pi.
If you use a HDD with a spinning platter then you might be concerned about power consumption, one of the great things about a Pi is the ultra low power user.

You could use SSD, but then a MicroSD card is a bit cheaper than 8GB µSD + SSD

And then there's packaging, compact size. And weight.

I'm sure there are other reasons too.
.G6FIR

joan

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:32 am

Apologies if this has been answered. I had a cursory search.

Will the old revision numbering scheme in /proc/cpuinfo (numbers in the range 0-17) continue to apply for ARMv6 kernels?

hjimbens

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am

gadgetoid wrote:I'm also seeing timing issues on the Pi 2, I've boiled them down to this example which takes 20sec! on a Pi 2

This affects usleep, and subsequently Python's sleep command, which makes code like our Display-o-Tron 3000 examples run in sloooow moootion.

Code: Select all

#include  <unistd.h>

int main()
{
 int x = 0;
 for(x = 0; x < 1000; x++){
   usleep(1000);
 }
}
And when timed:

[email protected] ~ $ time ./a.out

real    0m20.094s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.020s
Same SD card placed in a +B:

[email protected] ~ $ time ./a.out

real    0m1.095s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.020s
Has this been fixed by this: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... db186d6979 ?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 am

hjimbens wrote:Has this been fixed by this: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... db186d6979 ?
Yes

bantammenace2012

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:14 am

"This module can only be run on a raspberry Pi"
What have I done wrong here? I've run update, upgrade and dist-upgrade on my Micro SD whilst in my B+. I've then put that card in my Pi 2. Should that work ?
Google tells me that ..."the board is detected from the text in /proc/cpuinfo which is generated by the kernel"

DirkS

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:21 am

bantammenace2012 wrote:"This module can only be run on a raspberry Pi"
What have I done wrong here? I've run update, upgrade and dist-upgrade on my Micro SD whilst in my B+. I've then put that card in my Pi 2. Should that work ?
Google tells me that ..."the board is detected from the text in /proc/cpuinfo which is generated by the kernel"
What module? If it's RPi.GPIO then see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 00#p683480

bantammenace2012

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 am

DirkS wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:"This module can only be run on a raspberry Pi"
What module? If it's RPi.GPIO then see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 00#p683480
Thanks for the link it was RPi.GPIO.

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:27 am

joan wrote:Apologies if this has been answered. I had a cursory search.

Will the old revision numbering scheme in /proc/cpuinfo (numbers in the range 0-17) continue to apply for ARMv6 kernels?
Yes. It's a function of the firmware to pass the revision number when it loads the Linux kernel.
cat /proc/cmdline and you'll see

A+: bcm2708.boardrev=0x12
B:  bcm2708.boardrev=0xf 
2B:  bcm2709.boardrev=0xa01041
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

joan

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 am

DougieLawson wrote:
joan wrote:Apologies if this has been answered. I had a cursory search.

Yes. It's a function of the firmware to pass the revision number when it loads the Linux kernel.
cat /proc/cmdline and you'll see

A+: bcm2708.boardrev=0x12
B:  bcm2708.boardrev=0xf 
2B:  bcm2709.boardrev=0xa01041
Thanks. I hadn't noticed /proc/cmdline before.

rahlquist

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:56 am

Finally managed to find a Pi locally yesterday (thanks to Microcenter) and I am enjoying it so far but have come across a bit of an issue. The LED's seem to be much brighter. Typically my B was sitting in my front window with the camera module so I could monitor for anything coming into my yard (so my killer Corgi's dont get them). During the evening I am getting a lot of LED flare off the LED's on the pi mainboard. Is there any way in software to disable them much like you can the one on the camera board?

mikerr

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Had a little trouble with my Pi 2 at first trying with a NOOBS image, and it wouldn't boot, just solid red/green

I thought my noobs files were fairly recent ( NOOBS_v1_3_9 ) but downloaded the newest NOOBS_v1_3_12 and then all was fine.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”