fruit-uk

Re: The Raspberry Pi 2 Q&A thread

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks for taking the time and effort on this even if we don't have an answer.

I am aware of it so will know if it happens again here - and if it does I'll try and grab a screenshot.
At least there is something here for those searching in future if it bites them.

Guess I can update the last of those Pi's with small cards - just the Wolfson one to go after that once Wolfson/Cirrus actually get their act together.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:19 pm

rurwin wrote:I can't find it now, but there was a question about running with USB drives and the answer mentioned that the boot SD needed the files to be in the first few blocks of the device. It seems to me that having two partitions is the only way to ensure that on a large device. However on a 128MB device it's a given.
A link would be useful, as that is not something I'm aware of. Sure, the boot files need to be on the first partition of the sdcard, but I don't believe they have to be at the start of the partition.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:05 pm

I wish I had one, dom. I'm beginning to think I dreamed it.

But just off the top of my head, is the SoC ROM loader SCXD-aware?

fruit-uk

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 pm

rpdom wrote:
fruit-uk wrote:A difference in that last line with p1 but no p2 but where is it coming from?
The messages at that point are from the kernel when it detects the card. It has read the partition table and found those partitions. It doesn't check the contents of the partitions at that point. If you see p1 and p2 then you have two partitions on the card.
Thought I'd should comment on this in case it's relevant at some point in the future if someone else comes across this issue..

When I first updated the B+ (this would have been last weekend with the 3.18.5) one of the last messages on the screen indicated that it was looking for p2. I can't remember whether it said mmcblkp2 or mmcblk: p2 but certainly something like that.

It was that line that suggested to me that it was looking for a second partition - so eventually I added one and I was sorted.

Of course what caused it in 3.18.5 may no longer be relevant for 3.18.7 :/

rpdom

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm

fruit-uk wrote:Of course what caused it in 3.18.5 may no longer be relevant for 3.18.7 :/
This is very true.

I don't believe I had a 3.18.5 kernel at any point, so I could have just been lucky and missed that issue.

mimi123

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:49 pm

rurwin wrote:I wish I had one, dom. I'm beginning to think I dreamed it.

But just off the top of my head, is the SoC ROM loader SCXD-aware?
no. You need a FAT32 partition. :/
(tested with a 128GB uSD)

leggazoid

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 am

What does the BCM2836 in the RPi2 have, 28nm, 40nm or something else?

Just curious!

Thanks

esbeeb

How does the Gajim XMPP IM app work?

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:52 am

How does Gajim perform and feel on the Raspberry Pi 2? Has anyone played with Gajim yet on the Raspberry Pi 2 yet? The encryption capabilities of Gajim interest me, and Gajim does seem like a more lightweight app that the Pi2 might just be able to handle well. I think Gajim is the only realistic possibility at some sort of rough Skype or Facetime equivalent on the Pi 2.

Is Gajim a viably performing XMPP IM client for text, audio, and video chatting?

Does sound work (meaning a USB headset with microphone) in gajim? Is Raspbian effectively still ALSA-only, and if so, does Gajim automatically utilize the ALSA? Or would Gajim find pulseaudio working (like on a PC), and just use it successfully as expected?

Does video work, to the camera module, or to a USB webcam? Does the hardware accelleration of the video chipset magically get used, such that the video graphics perform well in a video call? What resolutions worked well in a real, live XMPP video chat? How hard did a CPU core have to work?

n.marek

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:25 am

Hi, I've just received my RPi 2 (bought from Element14 - Australia).

Is it normal, that it says 'made in PRC' and not 'made in the UK'??

Also, I've been using RPi B until now with a USB hub that also powered the Pi via backfeed. Is it normal, that it no longer works with the Pi2?

Thanks

AndyD

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:36 am

n.marek wrote:Hi, I've just received my RPi 2 (bought from Element14 - Australia).

Is it normal, that it says 'made in PRC' and not 'made in the UK'??
yes
n.marek wrote:Also, I've been using RPi B until now with a USB hub that also powered the Pi via backfeed. Is it normal, that it no longer works with the Pi2?

Thanks
Probably, I think the Pi2 needs more power ...

klricks

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:42 am

n.marek wrote:...
Also, I've been using RPi B until now with a USB hub that also powered the Pi via backfeed. Is it normal, that it no longer works with the Pi2?

Thanks
Beginning with the B+ model, and now 2(B), power to the USB ports are controlled. Power will be blocked until boot is or near completed. It has been reported that back-feeding works after boot, but there is no point.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

vsiles

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi,
I just ported my small bare-metal kernel to Pi 2 (changing base periphs address and gcc flags) and it runs !
However it seems I am booting in "non secure" SVC mode: if I try to read the SCR register (only accessible from the secure world), my code crashes.

Can someone confirm or infirm the fact that the Pi2 does not let us play with the secure TrustZone anymore ?

Best,
V.

PS: on a related note, does anyone tried to access the hypervisor mode ?

dom

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 pm

vsiles wrote:Hi,
I just ported my small bare-metal kernel to Pi 2 (changing base periphs address and gcc flags) and it runs !
However it seems I am booting in "non secure" SVC mode: if I try to read the SCR register (only accessible from the secure world), my code crashes.

Can someone confirm or infirm the fact that the Pi2 does not let us play with the secure TrustZone anymore ?
Are you using any config.txt options (like kernel_old=1?)
By default we insert some startup code at address 0x0 - 0xff, which comes from here.
This does switch to non-secure monitor mode, which is required to write to CNTVOFF.

For bare metal I'd have thought you'd want to avoid our startup code (with kernel_old=1) and start your kernel from 0x0.

dom

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:39 pm

leggazoid wrote:What does the BCM2836 in the RPi2 have, 28nm, 40nm or something else?
40nm - same as BCM2835.

vsiles

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 pm

dom wrote:

By default we insert some startup code at address 0x0 - 0xff, which comes from here.
This does switch to non-secure monitor mode, which is required to write to CNTVOFF.

For bare metal I'd have thought you'd want to avoid our startup code (with kernel_old=1) and start your kernel from 0x0.
No I didn't knew about this option. I'll try your suggestion with kernel_old=1 then, thank you.

leggazoid

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:34 am

With the RPi 2 there are a lot of distros supporting the ARMv7, how do we know which distros have all the hardware acceleration enabled for videos and gaming? What about the neat software that comes with raspbian like minecraft, sonic Pi and mathematica, will this be supported on other distros as well?

vsiles

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am

dom wrote:

I did a few attempt with kernel_old=1 but was unsuccessful:
- first I tried to change my linker script and link my code to 0x0 (instead of the former 0x8000)
- on my second attempt, my code was still at 0x8000 but I added a "b 0x8000" at address 0x0

both failed to boot, and I noticed that the green led doesn't blink as usual (only one blink then it's permanently off) while the red one next to it stays red.

For the record, my code only initialize a bss section to 0, then initialize the uart and tries to print an helloworld after reading CPSR.
Any idea what I did wrong ?

EDIT: I added the code you pasted in my kernel, at 0x0, and left mine at 0x8000 and I can boot with kernel_old=1, so I must do something wrong in my secure_monitor. I'll figure this out. Thanks !

jamesh

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 am

leggazoid wrote:With the RPi 2 there are a lot of distros supporting the ARMv7, how do we know which distros have all the hardware acceleration enabled for videos and gaming? What about the neat software that comes with raspbian like minecraft, sonic Pi and mathematica, will this be supported on other distros as well?
Raspbian is the Foundation supported distro, and all Foundation supplied software will work correctly.

Other distro's will need to be tested and fixed up by whoever is maintaining those distro. So you will need to ask them what is supported.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

findx

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 pm

jdb wrote:The USB timer/counter was actually something that I requested - there's some Gert magic in there that means you can route the ARMCTRL FIQ to an arbitrary core and multiplex it with a very basic timer (19.2MHz/24-bit compare-counter) to get around some of the limitations in the OTG core.
Will specifics of the FIQ implementation be released? I currently use GPIO FIQ code on the Raspberry Pi 1 model B for somewhat fast data acquisition, and it'd be great to have some documentation on what needs to change to move it to the new multi-core architecture.

jdb

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 pm

findx wrote:
jdb wrote:The USB timer/counter was actually something that I requested - there's some Gert magic in there that means you can route the ARMCTRL FIQ to an arbitrary core and multiplex it with a very basic timer (19.2MHz/24-bit compare-counter) to get around some of the limitations in the OTG core.
Will specifics of the FIQ implementation be released? I currently use GPIO FIQ code on the Raspberry Pi 1 model B for somewhat fast data acquisition, and it'd be great to have some documentation on what needs to change to move it to the new multi-core architecture.
I believe the document detailing the ARM-local peripherals (i.e. implemented at the boundary of the Cortex-A7 block) is still confidential to licensees. I'll see if that's going to change anytime soon.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

mikronauts

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Can you ask specifically for the secondary memory interface? I understand A+/B+/2B/CM have enough pins exposed... it is definitely something I'd like to play with.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

esbeeb

Re: How does the Gajim XMPP IM app work?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 am

esbeeb wrote:How does Gajim perform and feel on the Raspberry Pi 2? Has anyone played with Gajim yet on the Raspberry Pi 2 yet?
If anyone is interested, I've posted a Gajim Tutorial, walking users of all skill levels through an XMPP account setup, including tweaking several of Gajim's highly useful, advanced features:

"Setting up an XMPP account (with BOSH on port 443) HOWTO":
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 42#p697931

mimi123

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:42 am

mikronauts wrote:Can you ask specifically for the secondary memory interface? I understand A+/B+/2B/CM have enough pins exposed... it is definitely something I'd like to play with.
You have the headers from the BCM source release

thradtke

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Just got mine and realized power input has moved. Inside my A500 box there's no way to connect it anymore, so I wonder if I can power it through pins 1 and 3.
Rocket Scientist.

jamesh

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:47 pm

thradtke wrote:Just got mine and realized power input has moved. Inside my A500 box there's no way to connect it anymore, so I wonder if I can power it through pins 1 and 3.
The USB power should be in the same place as the B+...the cases all fit both.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”