allfox

Re: The Raspberry Pi 2 Q&A thread

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:08 am

Does anyone know when could I get a Pi 2 in China? The official local distributor told me that currently they don't have a production plan yet. So would there ever be a red Raspberry Pi 2?

PS: I see some shops are already taking order for a green Pi 2 (world wide version). Most of them will start to deliver after Feb 10th. So I guess they import those Pi 2 from some where.

Nightwing2012

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 am

Got it up and running! Wooo! its cool! ^_^

Was wondering which Distro is the fastest for the RPI2?

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:42 am

Nightwing2012 wrote:Got it up and running! Wooo! its cool! ^_^

Was wondering which Distro is the fastest for the RPI2?
From what I understand the only one that will work best is Raspbian and 2nd the new Ubuntu one but the Ubuntu one is not in Noobs yet.

Nightwing2012

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:55 am

Thank you! And just tried it with out needing the && sudo get stuff!

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 am

Nightwing2012 wrote:Thank you! And just tried it with out needing the && sudo get stuff!
basic commands to always stay up to date even with new Pi:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
That single command will keep you up to date even when the make changes over the next few weeks and pretty much forever with a few exceptions.

cjan

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:00 am

does new Pi2 still fit with lapdock like 1st model B?

tesla01

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 am

Anyone have seen that kernel only see 778240K on PI 2 on raspbian?

Jan 31 21:23:33 raspberrypi kernel: [ 0.000000] Memory: 753796K/778240K available (5785K kernel code, 377K rwdata, 1760K rodata, 396K init, 771K bss, 24444K reserved)

The GPU mem shared has been set to 16 mo so it's very strange.
On QNAP there was a similary bug https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/ ... 00069.html Correct with kernel config CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

I will try to cross compil a toochain and and a new kernel with this option to see...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:46 am

tesla01 wrote:Anyone have seen that kernel only see 778240K on PI 2 on raspbian?

Jan 31 21:23:33 raspberrypi kernel: [ 0.000000] Memory: 753796K/778240K available (5785K kernel code, 377K rwdata, 1760K rodata, 396K init, 771K bss, 24444K reserved)

On QNAP there was a similary bug https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/ ... 00069.html Correct with kernel config CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

I will try to cross compil a toochain and and a new kernel with this option to see...
This has been covered in another thread that I cannot find right now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

tesla01

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:49 am

jamesh wrote:
tesla01 wrote:Anyone have seen that kernel only see 778240K on PI 2 on raspbian?

Can't find this thread too..

rpdom

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 am

jamesh wrote:
It was something to do with an incompatibility with SonicPi (and some others), I believe. Ah, yes...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 04#p683804

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:What's the Performance comparisions of a Raspberry Pi 1 B+ in turbo mode vs a Raspberry Pi 2 B on default clock? That would be a interesting piece of info! :geek:
http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

garethcamp

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Guys,

Can someone please recommend (preferably) a 64GB card that works with Pi 2 that I can order in the UK. I've ordered 2 cards now, a 32GB Sandisk which doesn't seem to work with RetroPie and a 64GB Samsung Evo which I was told works but doesn't even work with NOOBS.

Much appreciated,

Gareth

klricks

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm

garethcamp wrote:Guys,

Can someone please recommend (preferably) a 64GB card that works with Pi 2 that I can order in the UK. I've ordered 2 cards now, a 32GB Sandisk which doesn't seem to work with RetroPie and a 64GB Samsung Evo which I was told works but doesn't even work with NOOBS.

Much appreciated,

Gareth
Are you formatting them correctly? See #18 here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83372
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm curious as to *why* people want to run a large SD card with the Pi.

It seems pretty clear to me that if you are doing "big data" things on a Pi, the right way to do it is to boot from the SD (keeping it in the 8G range) and put your data on a HDD.

And, of course, if you're taking this to the next level, then you can put the rootfs on the HDD as well (on a separate partition from the one on which you put your big data). Still booting from the SD, of course.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 pm

I just peeked at that link (thanks)

Seriously? For the few people that have SonicPi, everyone loses 240MB of ram from the 1GB?

The proper way to handle this is to default to non-sonic pi, and add an option to raspi-config for sonic pi.
rpdom wrote:
jamesh wrote:
It was something to do with an incompatibility with SonicPi (and some others), I believe. Ah, yes...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 04#p683804
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

garethcamp

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:27 pm

klricks wrote:
garethcamp wrote:Guys,

Much appreciated,

Gareth
Are you formatting them correctly? See #18 here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83372
I wasn't :roll:

Many thanks, I'm up and running now.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:28 pm

It's not a permanent state of affairs - we expect to get a fix in for that in the next couple of weeks.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tesla01

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:38 pm

liz wrote:It's not a permanent state of affairs - we expect to get a fix in for that in the next couple of weeks.
This is quite understandable. An update should not affect in a certain category of person and it was the wisest solution, but a precompiled kernel for expert could have also worked :)

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:47 pm

I am glad to hear that... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? Ideally, it could be as simple as:

sudo apt-get install nonsonic-kernel

as I am sure such a kernel exists internally, this should take little time to implement (just add to raspbian repo) - and make many people happy :)
liz wrote:It's not a permanent state of affairs - we expect to get a fix in for that in the next couple of weeks.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

gkreidl

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:57 pm

mikronauts wrote:... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? ..
One week ago you didn't even know about the existence of a RPi with 1 GB of memory and now you need all of it? Rather ridiculous, IMHO.

Lots of people are working hard to fix and finalize the software and none of them should spend time just to make a few people happy who can't wait to get something they didn't even know about a week ago.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamesh

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:00 pm

mikronauts wrote:I am glad to hear that... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? Ideally, it could be as simple as:

sudo apt-get install nonsonic-kernel

as I am sure such a kernel exists internally, this should take little time to implement (just add to raspbian repo) - and make many people happy :)
Last week you were happy with 512KB, why has it suddenly become so urgent that you need 1GB right now? Rather than in a couple of weeks?

My Pi2 runs fine with whatever memory it currently has allocated (I've never checked).

With regard to a new kernel build, so far SonicPi doesn't work but it scurrently unknown what other apps don't work, so releasing a kernel with that level of unknown would be foolish.

If you really want to you can compile your own of course.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:05 pm

1) that kernel obviously already exists

2) I was too nice to say it before, but it was not a great decision to take away 1/4 of the Pi2's memory from everyone for the tiny fraction of people who will initially use SonicPi on a Pi 2 B

3) as they clearly have a kernel without this limitation, all that is needed is to add to the raspbian repo a "fullgig" kernel that can be installed with "sudo apt-get install fullgig"

4) arguably Raspbian should have shipped with the full gig kernel, and just tell sonic pi users to "sudo apt-get install sonickernel"

5) If you had bothered to check my site before flaming me, you would have figured out why I need the full memory size as quickly as possible

6) for the Pi 2 B to perform its best, it needs the full amount of memory
gkreidl wrote:
mikronauts wrote:... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? ..
One week ago you didn't even know about the existence of a RPi with 1 GB of memory and now you need all of it? Rather ridiculous, IMHO.

Lots of people are working hard to fix and finalize the software and none of them should spend time just to make a few people happy who can't wait to get something they didn't even know about a week ago.

mikronauts

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Simple.

I wanted to get the best results for the review I will be posting soon, so Pi 2 B will be performing at its best.

And I never said that last week I was happy with 512MB (I am certain you did not mean 512KB)

Having the limited kernel as "stock" for a couple of weeks is undertandable, but really, having a 1gb capable kernel, even if it has to be post installed, is the right choice - have the buyers find for you what else does not work, RPF cannot possibly test all potential hardware/software in one to two weeks.
jamesh wrote: Last week you were happy with 512KB, why has it suddenly become so urgent that you need 1GB right now? Rather than in a couple of weeks?

My Pi2 runs fine with whatever memory it currently has allocated (I've never checked).

With regard to a new kernel build, so far SonicPi doesn't work but it scurrently unknown what other apps don't work, so releasing a kernel with that level of unknown would be foolish.

If you really want to you can compile your own of course.

liz

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:17 pm

allfox wrote:Does anyone know when could I get a Pi 2 in China?
Farnell is making some green Pis in China for the far-eastern market - they're mechanically identical to the Welsh ones. You can buy from them in China; RS is selling the Welsh ones worldwide, and have an established presence in China.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

dom

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:18 pm

mikronauts wrote:I am glad to hear that... but until then, for those of us who need all the memory, could we ask for a pre-built kernel that recovers that 240MB? Ideally, it could be as simple as:
The current rpi-update kernel does have the full 1G supported (but breaks sonic pi). That will become the "stable" kernel in the future when we have a solution for the sonic pi problem.

So, the full 1G of sdram will be available in the future when we believe it's stable for use uses.
If you want it now, then run rpi-update, but be aware that sonic pi (and possibly other apps) may break.

Return to “General discussion”