blc

Re: Raspberry Pi 2

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 am

Heater wrote:Basically: Windows Bad, Linux Good
Can we try and keep this thread vaguely on-topic and relevant? It's very quickly going to get derailed and turn into the same old ideological arguments we've had over and over and over again. Every time Windows or Windows 10 comes up on this forum it's the same old crap from both sides - no one wins and all that happens is threads get locked and people get told off by mods.

Linux will remain the primary OS for the Raspberry Pi. Don't like Windows? Don't use it - it's as simple as that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 am

I'm in bed with the lurgy today, so therefore in a bad mood, and will delete all Linux vs Windows type posts. Not relevant here. First and final warning. Post stuff like that and it will be deleted with extreme prejudice.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

markvr

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 am

rpdom wrote:
markvr wrote:Anyone know what likely speed of the Pi2 running a NAS using Samba and a USB hard drive? I have that setup with a B+ and get about 2mb/s, which is too slow. I've been debating getting a "proper" NAS box, but I can get decent speed from a Pi2, I'll do that instead. It currently gets CPU bound with the ntfs driver and Samba, will they be able to take advantage of the quad cores on this?
Why on earth are you using NTFS? Reformat the drive to ext4 and get a more reasonable speed.
So I can also plug it into my laptop when I need to transfer a lot of files, because doing it over the network is too slow. If I can get ~10mb/s over the network I'll reformat it to ext4.

ghans

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:44 am

Sounds like catch-22. The whole reason i myself formatted my disks from NTFS to ext4 was to speedup Samba. It did work ,
but i doubt the speedup was that big like you hope (haven't really measured it).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

blc

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:48 am

markvr wrote:So I can also plug it into my laptop when I need to transfer a lot of files, because doing it over the network is too slow. If I can get ~10mb/s over the network I'll reformat it to ext4.
I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I did manage to find some fairly reliable tools for accessing and writing to EXT-formatted drives under Windows. It plays havoc with permissions though, so don't do this with a boot drive and make sure that the files are properly chown'ed in Linux once you've transferred them.

pluggy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 pm

jamesh wrote:I'm in bed with the lurgy today, so therefore in a bad mood, and will delete all Linux vs Windows type posts. Not relevant here. First and final warning. Post stuff like that and it will be deleted with extreme prejudice.
Didn't happen to ermm *cough* remove *cough* one of my posts yesterday James ? It wasn't Windows vs Linux per se, but I may have been a touch scathing about The new Pi having access to a crippled Windows 10 and all the guff we'll get on the forum about it not being able to run *insert name of any windows application here*.

Tad slow off the mark on Monday , I went to Farnell to order one, it said there were 28 left in stock, but by the time I'd got it ordered they'd gone and I got a receipt saying it will be despatched next month. Que sera sera....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

pluggy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Maybe not next month, Farnell just emailed they've despatched it....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

ktb

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 pm

ktb wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
ktb wrote: I'm not sure, but I believe it means it can run recent versions of chromium. Wouldn't that help with the netflix situation?
Chromium for ARM is no longer developed ;)
I believe that is because it doesn't build/work on ARMv6 anymore.

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... a/chromium
Chromium works well. Music videos on YouTube work. Now you just need a Silverlight plugin :(

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:44 pm

AFAIK what is needed is chrome, not chromium. Chrome has the DRM stuff that is needed for netflix. On the other hand someone has made a plugin that enables Amazon movies on the Pi using kodi. That could be a starting point.

ktb

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Tzarls wrote:AFAIK what is needed is chrome, not chromium. Chrome has the DRM stuff that is needed for netflix. On the other hand someone has made a plugin that enables Amazon movies on the Pi using kodi. That could be a starting point.
You're correct. I haven't looked into its availability on any Pi platforms.

BTW, I do have Flash working on Arch Linux in Chromium.

BMS Doug

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

ktb wrote: BTW, I do have Flash working on Arch Linux in Chromium.
there's a chap on this thread who would appreciate instructions on how to implement that.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:06 am

I'm curious too. Are you doing it under Arch because of some technical impossibility in Raspbian or just because you use Arch?

Return to “General discussion”