TBGRocks

First Real Project - Online Bird Box!

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53 pm

New to the forum. Please go easy on me!! :-)

I have had a Pi for a year or more and hadn't done anything much more than use it for XMBC. I was stuck for ideas for what family should buy me for Christmas and decided upon a NoIR Camera and I had been playing around with the motion library. I then came across MotionPie (https://github.com/ccrisan/motionPie) and have been very impressed. I was using it connect to my Pi over the internet and view my back garden while away. (Not that anything very exciting happened in my back garden).
I then bought the CamJam EduKit 2 and my daughter (9 years old) and I have been enjoying doing the tutorials in it.

Next I bought some InfraRed LEDs off eBay and a mini breadboard with the idea of creating a Bird Box with a camera in it.
Yesterday I found a plank of wood in the garage and made the bird box. I made a space at the top for the Pi and the camera and wired up a simple circuit with 2 of the IR LED's and a resistor. The LEDs will be always on, but I don't mind that.

I put the whole thing out in the garage earlier today to check the home WiFi will reach out there. I'm fairly sure my wife won't let me put the box on our house the garage wall will likely be it's home. It's all looking good so far. All that's left is for me to mount it in the right position and wait to see if any birds are interested in it. I'm not 100% sure but it might be too late in the year now.

MotionPie is very easy to setup and is a very powerful tool. You can configure it to take photos or videos when motion is detected and of course you can stream your camera across the web.

The CamJam EduKit 2 is an excellent starter pack for people like me who want to get into simple electronics and projects.

I have since bought another Raspberry Pi and imagine that won't be my last either.

Hopefully people find this interesting!
See you around!

Return to “General discussion”