User avatar
spamurai
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 am
Location: Suffolk, UK

Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm seeing lots of stuff about cases on here.
Its cool that there are so many to choose from.

Anyway, just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

This is the case i've brought. I got it off ebay for £8 including postage & packaging.
Here's some pictures of my RPi in it.

Image
Image
Image

If you ask me, i'd say this is the best one. Its cheap and allows for lots of ventilation, very sturdy and strong and even has additional holes over the headers and GPIO incase you expand any features...
The case isn't ugly either and probably the best part about it is how still it holds the board which allows cables to be plugged in and pulled out with ease and without the risk of breaking anything :D

I'm just curious to if people agree or if they've found a better one.

Got to love "General Discussion" ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10884
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:01 am

I don't know if this qualifies as "better"...it's pretty close to the same price and doesn't require tools (so far as I can tell...

https://www.adafruit.com/products/859

I'm not sure there is a "best" case, anyway. It's likely to come down to individual tastes. I will say that I like the one you posted, and not just because it's transparent (though I suspect that clear cases will be pretty popular for the time being).

The biggest issue I see coming is that some company *ought* to be able to produce a reasonable case and sell them at a very low cost--say, no more than $5 each. After all...pay 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the *computer* for a case is a bit odd...

pjc123
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:20 am

Stay away from the Adafruit case. Mine broke in the first week of use. It has detailed instructions and warnings about being very careful about assembly and unassembly because it is so fragile; instructions that I followed to the "T". I put it together without a problem using a ribbon cable installed to the GPIO pins, then I decided I would use individual wires to the GPIO pins so I took it apart, removed the cable and during assembly one of the plastic tabs broke off. It is make of very brittle plastic. I am so disgusted that it is my last Adafruit purchase.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

User avatar
spamurai
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 am
Location: Suffolk, UK

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:53 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I don't know if this qualifies as "better"...it's pretty close to the same price and doesn't require tools (so far as I can tell...

https://www.adafruit.com/products/859

I'm not sure there is a "best" case, anyway. It's likely to come down to individual tastes. I will say that I like the one you posted, and not just because it's transparent (though I suspect that clear cases will be pretty popular for the time being).

The biggest issue I see coming is that some company *ought* to be able to produce a reasonable case and sell them at a very low cost--say, no more than $5 each. After all...pay 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the *computer* for a case is a bit odd...
Yeh, everyones opinion will be different. I do like this case though. Looks very smart. The only thing that puts me off is not having access to the GPIO/headers.
I would agree though that the clear cases will be wanted more. They just look cooler :D
And you can't really complain at the prices. You pay for what you get, although thinking about it the way you described, i guess they are slightly over prices :lol:
pjc123 wrote:Stay away from the Adafruit case. Mine broke in the first week of use. It has detailed instructions and warnings about being very careful about assembly and unassembly because it is so fragile; instructions that I followed to the "T". I put it together without a problem using a ribbon cable installed to the GPIO pins, then I decided I would use individual wires to the GPIO pins so I took it apart, removed the cable and during assembly one of the plastic tabs broke off. It is make of very brittle plastic. I am so disgusted that it is my last Adafruit purchase.
That sucks :cry: Is there no grounds for a refund/return? Or have they covered themselves by literally saying "be careful"?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

pjc123
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 pm

[/quote]

That sucks :cry: Is there no grounds for a refund/return? Or have they covered themselves by literally saying "be careful"?[/quote]

Being that it is the weekend, I have not contacted them. I certainly would want a refund and not another unit, because it would just happen again. With one of the tabs broken off it is still usable, but I don't dare disassemble it again. I am going to start building circuits to wire up the GPIO pins this week, so it is at least better than leaving the circuit board on a table, so I might not bother returning it. I also have concerns about ESD problems with the case, although I do not know what type of plastic they are using; although the circuit board pins of the pi do not touch the plastic, the circuit board itself and parts of the cable connectors do contact the plastic, and there is always the problem of rubbing something against the plastic and generating a charge. To the person who asked about the fit, yes there is quite a bit amount of play in the case due to the snap together design.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

adi518
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Not sure you guys seen this but RS is now selling cases for invited customers. They made something quite nice! Better than any I've seen elsewhere on the web, that includes ebay.

I made my order for a Pi few days ago and picked a black case to go with it. You basically have one case in 3 available colors - black/white/clear. It costs 4$. :lol:

Here's a picture of it, I think it can only be seen on the closed store:

Image
Download to view a large version. Btw, the forums lacks a bit in this regard.

Case has a nice Raspberry Pi strawberry logo on it. ^_^
Also, they slightly revised the board. Looks like the RCA jack is now white and the audio jack is now blue.

pjc123
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:55 pm

I would suggest that whatever case you get, make sure that it has either very open sides, plenty of vent holes on the top (even better the top and bottom), or an easily removable top. There are quite a few posts on these forums of multiple chips getting very hot, especially when the unit is stressed.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

adi518
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm guessing you can install a small fan in there.

mcbain
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:08 pm

someone has the RS part number from their case? couldn't find it directly on the page/shop.

adi518
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm

mcbain wrote:someone has the RS part number from their case? couldn't find it directly on the page/shop.
In my invoice it says "CASE-BLK".

If you got access to the store you should clearly see it under accessories.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10884
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:45 pm

I think what I'd like to see in a "best" case would be the inclusion of a power supply (or at least a connector that permits disconnecting power without stressing the RPi's own power connector) and a power *switch*. Clear is a definite plus. Including a built-in powered USB hub would be a BIG plus. Keeping the case as small as can be reasonably managed is good (the only ones I can find on the RS/Allied site are rather...large.

Anyone else want to add to the list of desired case features? At least a window to see the status LEDs? Option for PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors? Option for an included active VGA adaptor?

adlambert

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 pm

pjc123 wrote:I would suggest that whatever case you get, make sure that it has either very open sides, plenty of vent holes on the top (even better the top and bottom), or an easily removable top. There are quite a few posts on these forums of multiple chips getting very hot, especially when the unit is stressed.
I can't get my PIs to heat up much at all, regardless of what I make them do. A device that only consumes 2W of power is never going to produce much heat.

adlambert

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926

adi518
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:07 pm

adlambert wrote:Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
Looks kinda ugly IMO.

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Not as uggly as my leggo case :mrgreen:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

danh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Two of my favourites are the

http://singlelensreflections.blogspot.c ... r-and.html

and

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/raspber ... on6mavs4k4

but why the protruding screws I dont know. Much cleaner to countersink the heads in my opinion.

pjc123
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:12 pm

My favorite so far is the modmypi case:

https://www.modmypi.com/shop/

What I like.

1) Nice clean design
2) All the connectors on the pi appear to be well supported by the case.
3) It looks like it is made of thick durable plastic.

However, minor things that concern me:

1) It is not quite available yet (Very soon).
2) I would like to have seen more cooling holes, especially on top.
3) I would have liked to see a snap in removable latch to access the GPIO pins. I actually emailed their design team and they are considering this for their next version.
4) There is no access to the other pins on the board and it will not accommodate a daughter board like the Gertboard. But that holds true for pretty much any enclosed box so I am really asking too much.
5) I wonder how durable the snap-in attachment method is. Also, will it separate too easily when unintended.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

secretreeve
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:39 am

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:33 pm

on the adafruit issue.

you can get a refund by simply telling the company

"sales of goods act 1979 states that a product must be fit for purpose and with this case being under 6 months of age and breaking with such ease accidental damage of this kind is unavoidable the case is NOT fit for purpose and i am entitled to a full refund including delivery costs."

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10884
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 am

danh wrote:Two of my favourites are the

http://singlelensreflections.blogspot.c ... r-and.html

and

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/raspber ... on6mavs4k4

but why the protruding screws I dont know. Much cleaner to countersink the heads in my opinion.
Have to say I like the second one much better than the first...now if I could get on in the US (without paying off the National Debt in shipping costs)....

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10884
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 am

pjc123 wrote:My favorite so far is the modmypi case:

https://www.modmypi.com/shop/

What I like.

1) Nice clean design
2) All the connectors on the pi appear to be well supported by the case.
3) It looks like it is made of thick durable plastic.

However, minor things that concern me:

1) It is not quite available yet (Very soon).
2) I would like to have seen more cooling holes, especially on top.
3) I would have liked to see a snap in removable latch to access the GPIO pins. I actually emailed their design team and they are considering this for their next version.
4) There is no access to the other pins on the board and it will not accommodate a daughter board like the Gertboard. But that holds true for pretty much any enclosed box so I am really asking too much.
5) I wonder how durable the snap-in attachment method is. Also, will it separate too easily when unintended.
That's also a nice case. I've seen at least no rather similar (check the thread on the fellow trying to do a kickstarter fund. I don't think more cooling holes are actually needed...after all, total power is 3.5W and idle is 2W. My RPi is probably dealing with more heat from the PC (Shuttle sff system) that it's sitting on top of than it generates on its own.

I am not personally concerned about header access, since all my planned uses are focused around software. (I have an "alpha" version of one--an "alarm clock"--and a working version of another--data entry station for convention registration (PuTTY is available for ARM, and it has the features I want...).

baldboffin
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:03 am

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:56 am

Heres mine
They come in a pack of 5 from the local supermarket, very handy if you screw it up the first time.
I really just wanted to see the pretty flashing lights and have a visual reminder of just how
incredibly simple my new toy is.
Attachments
IMG_1757-small.JPG
Look Ma, A real computer.
IMG_1757-small.JPG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

rplantz
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:28 am

adlambert wrote:Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
Has anyone tried the Pi Plate? http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... U=70231925

I just learned about the Raspberry Pi today, so this is very new to me, although I have 50 years of programming experience. I'm retired, and this looks like a very fun way to spend my time.

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm

secretreeve wrote:on the adafruit issue.

you can get a refund by simply telling the company

"sales of goods act 1979 states that a product must be fit for purpose and with this case being under 6 months of age and breaking with such ease accidental damage of this kind is unavoidable the case is NOT fit for purpose and i am entitled to a full refund including delivery costs."
Does the sale of goods act apply to American companies? I thought Adafruit was US based or do they have a UK branch?
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

User avatar
spamurai
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 am
Location: Suffolk, UK

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:26 pm

alexeames wrote:
secretreeve wrote: you can get a refund by simply telling the company
"sales of goods act 1979..."
Does the sale of goods act apply to American companies? I thought Adafruit was US based or do they have a UK branch?
I believe it does in most States, but definitely should be covered by " Uniform Commercial Code Article" - Article 2. Which suggests by making a contract (sale) the item has to be fit for purpose and conform to what is expected, but I could be wrong.
baldboffin wrote:Heres mine
Thats very clever :D
pjc123 wrote:My favorite so far is the modmypi case:
https://www.modmypi.com/shop/
I would agree with what makes it a good case.

The things i look for are:
1)Strong/secure (keeps RPi in place steadily)
2)Vented (no sides to allow air flow)
3)Additional holes (access to GPIO and headers)
4)Transparent (so you can see all the coolness)
First one is really really cool and looks the part, but again, no access to the GPIO :(
Also, even though its not a major issue, i do worry about the heat, but still looks awesome.

Second is similar to the one i have. It has the same support for the board as mine does but without the 4 corner supports. Still practical and provides the support needed though 8-)
adi518 wrote:
adlambert wrote:Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
Looks kinda ugly IMO.
Worst... Case... Ever... :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10884
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

spamurai wrote: I would agree with what makes it a good case.

The things i look for are:
1)Strong/secure (keeps RPi in place steadily)
2)Vented (no sides to allow air flow)
3)Additional holes (access to GPIO and headers)
4)Transparent (so you can see all the coolness)
#1 Agreed. This covers the prime requirements.
#2 Maybe...but not really *needed*. A case closed on all sides has some advantages outside a carefully controlled environment...like added protection from spilled liquids (common around children) and generally improved protection from curious fingers.
#3 This depends on your planned use. For someone doing hardware applications, certainly. For someone only doing software applications of the RPi...not needed and goes to my points concerning item #2.
#4 A "Nice to have" feature, even it its only the top. I'd love to see a transparent case like the modmypi case done. But the, I'd also like to have an option to get one of the "cases" that are just two slabs of plexiglass (==perspex?) *without* the slots cut in the top for header access to add even a little "spill proofing".

Let me explain my concerns about loose liquids around RPis a bit more...

One area I'm planning to use an RPi is at home as an instructional device for my (currently) 4-year-old grandson. I don't think he's quite ready to start doing anything with an RPi just yet (though I may try some things and may get a surprise...). The other major application is to use RPis as data entry workstation at an annual gaming convention (I'm head of Reg for DunDraCon, see www.dundracon.com). Spilled water (and other liquids, while not overly common *do* happen. Protecting 3 to 6 RPis from damage is high on my list of desireable case characteristics.

The third (though likely first in time) application I'm looking at is an RPi as an alarm clock. Ultimate plan is to stream the "wake up" music off the internet, but I have to find an audio source for classical music that gives me what I'm looking for. At present, I'm just using tracts extracted from CDs (currently using the overture to Handel's _Messiah_). Again, having the RPi at least somewhat protected from stray spills.

Return to “General discussion”