MargaritaD

QTCreator 5 for raspberry pi?

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm new to the PI, linux, etc, so please excuse what may be basic questions..

I used the command: sudo apt-get install qtcreator, on my raspberry pi, assuming it would install the latest version of QT Creator (which I believe is 5?)

Instead it installed a suite of QT4 apps.

Is there a way to install QT5 - which does NOT involve needing to download sources, then compiling those on the pi... Brief searches suggest this may be do-able, but we're hoping to avoid that..

Thanks in advance for any help,
Margarita

Heater

Re: QTCreator 5 for raspberry pi?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 am

I have a package of Qt5.2 libraries that allow running of Qt apps in X Windows or directly to the frame buffer, no X in the way. Supports accelerated OpenGl graphics as well.

You can download the package from here http://the.linuxd.org/qt-5-2-for-raspberry-pi/ where there are also instructions for installation and use. Ignore the stuff about building it yourself.

I don't use QtCreator on the Pi. I do all development on a PC and then copy the sources over to the Pi and build them with a simple "qmake; make".
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Heater

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:52 am

I'm sure this is mentioned here many times but there are "backports" packages of Qt5 you can install.

Edit the file: /etc/apt/sources.list and add:

Code: Select all

deb http://twolife.be/raspbian/ wheezy main backports
deb-src http://twolife.be/raspbian/ wheezy main backports
Install the required key:

$sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 2578B775
Then get Qt5 and esoteric requirements installed:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install qt5-default qt5-qmake libegl1-mesa libgles2-mesa
This will take some time, and install a plethora of packages.

I'm guessing a very recent version of QtCreator is also available as a package there.
Last edited by Heater on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MargaritaD

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks for your responses Heater.

But don't those final lines that you provide ($ sudo apt-get install qt5-default qt5-qmake libegl1-mesa libgles2-mesa) result in the building of source files from scratch?

What I've been asked to avoid, if possible, is actually building QT5 on the PI.

Heater

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:18 am

No they don't . They are just normal commands to install normal pre-built binary packages.

happycat36

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 am

Your procedure is simple enough and apparently works. However, I have a problem with the last step. I have a Pi B+ with Rasbian OS installed. I have been a Linux User since before Fedora and didn't see any obvious problems while processing any of the previous commands you listed. The symptom is the message list below.

E: Unable to locate package qt5-default
E: Unable to locate package qt5-qmake
E: Unable to locate package libegl1-mesa
E: Unable to locate package libgles2-mesa

Would appreciate your help.

happycat36

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 pm

:oops: Forget my last posting. I found a problem in the "sources.list", The keyboard I am using has two keys that require special attention and I missed a drped key, "O" and "C".

jrbe

Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Sorry for sort of hijacking this a bit but I've been trying to get QT5 creator on a raspberry pi for about 2 weeks. All of the info I have found previously has been scattered, outdated, broken links, and or assumes you know linux. This is the closest I have found to something that you dont need to compile and it seems to work. Only extra thing I had to do was sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list to be able to save changes to the sources list, otherwise I couldnt save changes there. I dont know if people are keeping quiet about how to do Qt on pi for a reason or if a lot is assumed.

I got through the instructions in this post but I dont see qt5 creator in any of the installed files. I couldnt find Qt5 creator on twolife's site either.

I had Qt4 creator from the short instructions margarita posted here but wiped it trying to get Qt5 stuff. I can get Qt4 creator again but learning Qt i'd rather start with 5. I know I'm missing something, i just dont know enough about this yet to know what it is. If anyone can point me to a semi-noobish way of getting Qt5 creator going on the pi or what i have to add to the sudo apt-get install qt5-____ I'd greatly appreciate it!

I am starting looking into compiling it on a linux box but i'd rather not reinvent the wheel if i can find one already.

I was hoping to get to doing live coding like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-Wakm5B84 to see my noob mistakes as i make them but I havent gotten close to that yet.

Return to “General discussion”