andrew700andrew

Interupted connection hostapd

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi, I'm working on a project which involves using the raspberry pi as a 5GHz wifi access point and then using the Pi camera and raspivid to pipe using netcat a live-stream to my Ubuntu PC, where is is received and played using mplayer. The problem I think I'm facing is that aproximatley once a minute the stream will be interupted (e.g. freezing then jumping forwards and quickly playing all the buffered frames) for 10 seconds, then it goes back to normal. At the same time as the stuttering, I get repeated warnings from mplayer that " cache is empty, consider increasing -cache or -cache-min " which show that it's simply not revieving data continuously. However, when I connect the Pi via ethernet to the PC, it works completely uninterrupted, so I assume there is a problem with the access point on the raspberry pi rather than the way I'm streaming the video.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Ps. This isn't a problem of lack of power to the wifi dongle as it also does this when connected via a powered USB hub.

hunternet93

Re: Interupted connection hostapd

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 am

Check your Pi's logs (/var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages) for wireless-related errors or warnings, some wireless chipsets don't handle access point mode very well. Also, try disabling WMM (wmm_enabled=0 if I remember correctly) in your hostapd.conf, that fixed some dropped connections on a certain wireless card I had.

Return to “General discussion”