Narf03

Still have SD card corruption issue?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi all, I am an old member, and i has not been following with raspbian improvement/changes for a while.

Few years ago(2012-2013), SD corruption was a big issue, when there is a sudden power lose, there is a nice chance of the pi will not be able to boot up anymore because of corruption. I did a basic search of the forum and cant notice anybody complains about that anymore.

I want to know if that has been solved ? And if that has been solved, i need to know if the problem is with the Pi(hardware, older version of pi) or Raspbian(older version), cause i still have quite a number of model B rev 1, i want to know if I am supposed to use them.

* let me be clear on the corruption, if power is lost, and if the pi was writing a file, its perfectly ok if that file is corrupted, or lost, or missing inode, but the OS(raspbian) should not just die. Thanks.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Still have SD card corruption issue?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:55 pm

All the known issues have been fixed. We can't do anything about the wear levelling algorithm in the card, so if that drops data on power loss, there's nothing that can be done. Although rare, we did manage to find a card which works fine elsewhere but doesn't work with the pi and we're currently looking into why that is.

Short answer is that you'll be fine, unless you're very unlucky with your card choice.

whatelse

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:24 am

You can find the compatibility list here http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

jdb

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 am

whatelse wrote:You can find the compatibility list here http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
That list is years out of date and should be considered deprecated.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

sglanger

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 pm

I would say it has not been fixed. Today, after 2 weeks, my Pi-B lost the SD card again. I refer you to this thread.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90906

I'm on my 3'rd PS by the way. Apparently, no iPad or Belkin PS is good enough

jamesh

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 pm

iPad supplies don;t have a great rep. I've not had problems with Kindle or decent quality PS's, but ensure you have a decent cable. That can make a big difference.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:06 pm

I've used a few sub-standard supplies in the past but that hasn't resulted in sd card corruption. Of course the power supply is the first thing to look at, but there are other things to consider before blaming the pi. Once everything has been ruled out, it's worth pursuing it further.

sglanger

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I've used a few sub-standard supplies in the past but that hasn't resulted in sd card corruption. Of course the power supply is the first thing to look at, but there are other things to consider before blaming the pi. Once everything has been ruled out, it's worth pursuing it further.
At this thread you can see that I'm on my: 3'rd PS, 3'rd Chip, most up to date OS rev, and second cable

Basically, I have to consider this Pi a Dev box, not Production capable

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:08 pm

you have other issues - are you creating lots of files ? writing lots to the Sd card ?
what is the power as measuered on the testpoints ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:40 pm

sglanger wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:I've used a few sub-standard supplies in the past but that hasn't resulted in sd card corruption. Of course the power supply is the first thing to look at, but there are other things to consider before blaming the pi. Once everything has been ruled out, it's worth pursuing it further.
At this thread you can see that I'm on my: 3'rd PS, 3'rd Chip, most up to date OS rev, and second cable

Basically, I have to consider this Pi a Dev box, not Production capable
It does sound like a faulty device, or something being done to set of the corruption that the usual user is not doing. As stated above, the Foundation are not aware of any remaining SD card issues. Anything like you describe, if it happened a lot to others, would certainly have come up on the radar. So there appears to be something unexplained going going on.

How do you use the device?

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:42 pm

jamesh wrote:As stated above, the Foundation are not aware of any remaining SD card issues.
There is one. These don't work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147234

jamesh

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:46 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
jamesh wrote:As stated above, the Foundation are not aware of any remaining SD card issues.
There is one. These don't work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147234
Ah, thanks Shift. Now that you mention it I do remember you posting about it a couple of days ago.

sglanger

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:57 pm

RaTTuS wrote:you have other issues - are you creating lots of files ? writing lots to the Sd card ?
what is the power as measuered on the testpoints ?
Disk writes: Minimal. DF has been flat for over a month

Voltage: have to check when a have a DVM handy

Jessie

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Anything else plugged in? Like a Wi-Fi adapter, or a hdd (anything that could cause a dip in voltage)?

I have never personally had issues with iPad chargers even with extreme overclocks. I do use nice thick cables, and power where I live is good. A number of years back I lived out in the country and the power out there would kill PC PSUs all the time.

cyrano

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 pm

SD cards are just plain weird.

A while ago, I took some pics. Took card from camera to computer, copied pics. Returned card to camera. Took another set of pics. Dropped SD card, stepped on it. Card was dead for the computer. Tried several readers, several computers. Returned card to camera and in the camera, it was OK. Pics were on it, I could shoot new pics. Computers still saw no card. Formatted card in the camera and it was OK in the computers.

That kind of behaviour has happened several times before, also with SD cards used in the Pi. There seems to be no logic behind it. Or at least, none I understand...

I've never had problems with SD card corruption, other than caused by power drops, caused by me.

But I've had some weird stuff with the Pi too. About six months ago, doing apt-get update/upgrade, I had a couple of SD cards that were dead after the update and a reboot. Until I tried the old 256 MB B. It would boot these cards allright and after booting in the old Pi, they booted the newer ones too. Happened only with raspbian, not with kali.

pluggy

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Judging my the way this issue coming up on the forum has died down about 95% in the lifetime of the Pi, I'd say someone has put a lot of time into it. Personally I never had any problems. I always stuck with boring old class 4 8GB Sandisk, bought from reputable suppliers.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

johnspackman

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:35 am

We have around 60 Pis in production now - the only corruption is down to power loss but that can be fatal to the OS; that's just a fact of life with SD cards and other flash memory, not a problem wth the Pi itself. We use quality PSU and Wifi dongles (without powered hubs, just plugged in direct) and the SD card is the official NOOBS card reformated. Power loss corruptions are helped massively by using a read only filing system and then syncing the editable data from ram disk onto the SD card every hour - there's been no corruptions since we started using read only roots.

My development Pi boots from the SD but everything else comes off an external mechanical hard drive and is 100% reliable despite all my mistreatment of it.

Richard-TX

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:47 am

I now have 6 Pis that I routinely remove the power from while it is running. All of them are equipped with Toshiba Exceria cards. Two of the Pis have been in place for over a year and one gets it's power pulled without a shutdown at least once a day.

I had a couple of cheap cards that failed before I got the Toshiba cards. Since I started using Toshiba, no card corruption issues at all.

When it comes to SD cards, you get exactly what you pay for.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

jdb

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:00 pm

We have isolated a particular set of SD cards that have an issue when used with the Raspberry Pi.

Certain modern-brand Samsung cards (EVO line and possibly other class 10 / UHS cards) have a tendency to lock up and become unresponsive when certain operations are done when using them with the Pi. Typically this is encountered with a maximal incidence rate when doing an rpi-update or apt-get upgrade operation.

We are currently investigating - from initial analysis it looks like the card enters a permanently "busy" state from which it is impossible to recover.

Troubleshooting this issue will take time - literally millions of commands are processed without a problem, but a certain timing sequence or sequence of commands cause the SD card to disappear and subsequent accesses to fail.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “General discussion”