BlueShadow<3

Teamspeak DDOS Protection...

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Quick question:

If I make a Teamspeak server on my Pi is there a way to protect it from DDOS?
Shadow<3

DougieLawson

Re: Teamspeak DDOS Protection...

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 pm

How do you plan to run Teamspeak when there isn't a Raspberry Pi version and it's closed source?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Seems Teamspeak has been run on the Pi using qemu http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 41&t=29806

I could not work out if the performance was usable. Seems unlikely. Also nobody else seemed to be able to reproduce the set up.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

QEMU is not a viable option for anything. Taking a weedy 700MHz ARMv6 and make it 100 times weedier by running an x86 emulator on it isn't going to be usable for any definition of usable.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Heater

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Dougie,

So basically it won't run in a usable way. That probably the best DDOS attack protection you can get. Be pre-DOSed from the start :)

BlueShadow<3

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:00 pm

I have been previously told on the forum that it is possible.
Shadow<3

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:29 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:I have been previously told on the forum that it is possible.
Best of luck trying to get it going. You'll probably have more success trying to get your kettle to make a piece of toast.

BlueShadow<3

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Well.....

Shadow<3

blc

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:28 pm

You can probably use Mumble/Murmur on the Pi. Not tried it myself though.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:47 pm

BlueShadow<3 wrote:Well.....

which one?

I'm currently thinking of ways to get a kettle to make toast....

(are we allowed to break the kettle in the process? If not I think we might have a problem. I don't think it will still be able to boil water afterwards.)
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

davidcoton

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:55 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I'm currently thinking of ways to get a kettle to make toast....
It might be easier to make a toaster boil water. Maybe not too efficient, but could be done without destroying the toaster functionality. Could still be interesting when the toaster pops up....
Signature retired

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:06 pm

BMS Doug wrote: (are we allowed to break the kettle in the process? If not I think we might have a problem. I don't think it will still be able to boil water afterwards.)
I was thinking of circular rounds of bread in the bottom of a dry jug kettle. It would be a two part operation to toast one side then the other.

Even destroying the kettle as part of that process would be easier than getting QEMU and Teamspeak to run on an alien processor architecture.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 pm

davidcoton wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: I'm currently thinking of ways to get a kettle to make toast....
It might be easier to make a toaster boil water. Maybe not too efficient, but could be done without destroying the toaster functionality. Could still be interesting when the toaster pops up....
I would love to see that. How do you plan to contain the water? Would it be less dangerous than making a pickled gherkin glow with 230V AC?

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm

That's the easy one, you make an attachment that sits on top of the toaster with heating plates filling the toast slots.
Doug.

davidcoton

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:45 pm

READER ALERT: WAY off topic!
DougieLawson wrote:
davidcoton wrote:
I would love to see that. How do you plan to contain the water? Would it be less dangerous than making a pickled gherkin glow with 230V AC?
I thought of running small bore copper pipes from a tank through the slots, back to the tank. Convection does the rest.

I reckon I could make a gherkin "glow" at 230V quite safely -- or even the 240V actual UK mains. I would not be in the same room! Beats eating the gherkin. Of course there is a large gherkin in London that glows, and I bet that (most of) its lights are powered at 240V.
Signature retired

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm

There was a change a few years ago to bring the United Kingdom into line with our near neighbours in continental Europe. The nominal voltage for the mains was reduced to 230V (within -6% & +10%) [which gives us 408V across any two balanced phases]. The thing that's rigidly fixed is averaging 50Hz across any 24hr period (for the small group of folks who still use mains frequency to sync their clocks, because they don't know how to use MSF, DCF77 or GPS for that).

I wonder if that voltage will get changed back 240V if Farage and his army of Kippers make anything of the May election.

BlueShadow<3

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 pm

BMS Doug wrote:That's the easy one, you make an attachment that sits on top of the toaster with heating plates filling the toast slots.
The toaster shorted out....
Shadow<3

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:26 pm

It's still easier to short out a toaster than to get QEMU & Teamspeak running.

iinnovations

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm

I heart this thread.
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

davidcoton

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:There was a change a few years ago to bring the United Kingdom into line with our near neighbours in continental Europe. The nominal voltage for the mains was reduced to 230V (within -6% & +10%) [which gives us 408V across any two balanced phases]. The thing that's rigidly fixed is averaging 50Hz across any 24hr period (for the small group of folks who still use mains frequency to sync their clocks, because they don't know how to use MSF, DCF77 or GPS for that).

I wonder if that voltage will get changed back 240V if Farage and his army of Kippers make anything of the May election.
Correct, there was a change to the NOMINAL voltage, so equipment can be built to a common standard across Europe.
But the ACTUAL target supply voltage has not changed, certainly not in the UK and I believe not in Europe. The nominal voltage tolerance was carefully chosen to include the whole range of European (220V) and UK (240V) systems and their normal tolerances. In other words, it was purely a paperwork exercise. (I do know, I spend my working life as an Electrician and have to measure voltage quite often using equipment with checked accuracy.)

You are also correct that long-term frequency stability is much better maintained than voltage.
Signature retired

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 pm

DougieLawson wrote:There was a change a few years ago to bring the United Kingdom into line with our near neighbours in continental Europe. The nominal voltage for the mains was reduced to 230V.

It's very unlikely, if anything the voltage is likely to be reduced further.

One of the current energy saving trend is "voltage optimisation" in which the supply voltage is reduced in the belief that it will reduce energy consumption.
Which is true when the load is of a fixed resistance but often untrue within the buildings I work in.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: I wonder if that voltage will get changed back 240V if Farage and his army of Kippers make anything of the May election.
It's very unlikely, if anything the voltage is likely to be reduced further.
I was thinking the another way, because the silly Kippers won't want to use that nasty foreign European voltage when they can have a Great British voltage. We'll be back to buying apples in pounds and petrol by the gallon if the Kipper loonies win an outright majority.

Although judging by the discussion on BBC's Newsnight the psephologists aren't going to be able to predict anything before 8th May.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm

My biggest regret in life has been that I was too young to vote monster raving loonie.
Doug.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 pm

BMS Doug wrote:My biggest regret in life has been that I was too young to vote monster raving loonie.
If I could get the Maria Miller haters to nominate me (and stump up the deposit) I'll happily stand as a MRL candidate against our "lovely" £90K stealing MP. I've spoiled papers in the past but I've never had a chance to vote for the monster raving loonies either.

Return to “General discussion”