ric96

The Raspbian new UI thread

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:17 pm

but why the new ui
was it necessary?
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

DirkS

Re: the new ui?

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Why not?

PeterO

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:29 pm

DirkS wrote:Why not?
THat's not a reason. Why not.. Because at a stroke it makes a whole lot of work for authors who have screen shots in their books and articles that are now wrong.

Is there any benefit to the new layout ? (Just downloading it now to have a look see).

PeterO

PS: Download seems really slow... I doubt it will arrive before DrWho starts !

PeterO
Last edited by PeterO on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ric96

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:31 pm

I mean it's still lxde and not something new like Maynard
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

ric96

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:31 pm

PeterO wrote:
THat's not a reason. Why not.. Because at a stroke it makes a whole lot of work for authors who have screen shots in their books and articles that are now wrong.

Is there any benefits to the new layout ? (Just downloading it now to have a look see).

PeterO
+1
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

BillStephenson

Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:58 pm

I think the UI was due for an update. When I made my Raspberry Office Kit I spent a lot of time making changes to the UI. One of the things I did was change the icons for the File Manager and the Web Browser. Those just didn't seem intuitive to me at all. The new graphics they're using are much better. I also like the toned down colour on the CPU Usage Monitor. That old green was pretty bright.

I think they did a great job on this. It's much more polished and clean looking.

Thanks again!!!!

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:10 pm

PeterO wrote:

Is there any benefit to the new layout ? (Just downloading it now to have a look see).

PeterO

PeterO
Downloads are "slow" at the moment probably because there are several tens of thousands of people plugging freshly-unwrapped Pis into their home networks and hammering the OS image mirrors.

The UI was due for a substantial overhaul (note that this is *not* the same as the window manager - two distinct and separate concepts) due to a large number of idiosyncracies or non-intuitive interfaces that negatively impact the "out-of-box experience". Simon has been keeping a list (checking it twice) and it's currently running to several pages.

Most of the items on the list are mild annoyances but there are some big ones that got fixed. WiFi configuration in particular should be a much smoother user experience.

This work has also resulted in quite a few bugfixes for upstream LXDE.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Heater

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:03 pm

I have no idea what new UI you may be talking about but a few thoughts spring to mind:

1) Who cares? Aren't you guys typing into consoles and ssh sessions to commune with your Pi's?

2) GUIs are supposed to be user friendly and helpful. If you need books and blogs full of screen shots to get you going they have failed. Might as well use the command line.

I guess I should install the latest Raspbian to see what you mean. Probably I can't tell the difference though.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:07 pm

One of the reasons I don't use the desktop (aside from limited number of desktop applications which don't have better, faster, command-line alternatives) is that default LXDE is incredibly ugly, wpa_gui is terrible, and there's junk all over the place. Judging by the screenshots (I haven't tried the new image yet), a lot of that has been resolved with the new UI, so yay. I'd prefer the panel at the bottom, but meh, that's just personal preference.

PeterO

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Heater wrote: 2) GUIs are supposed to be user friendly and helpful. If you need books and blogs full of screen shots to get you going they have failed. Might as well use the command line.
Indeed , but how many manuals have you seen for GUI applications that have page after page of screen shots showing you which menu item you have to select in order to perform the most basic of tasks ? ;)

Petero
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

andrum99

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:12 pm

I personally think the new GUI is a definite improvement. It is really good to see that PCManFM has been updated to the latest version, and the bug in the "size on disk" that it reports for files has been fixed. The font change makes things look a bit more appealing as well.

One loss is the "other" folder in the main menu that was useful for seeing what other stuff is available on the system: I would like to see this return. I prefer the panel at the bottom of the screen, but putting it at the top is more consistent with other Linux distributions.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:42 pm

ric96 wrote:but why the new ui
was it necessary?
which "new UI"? Do you mean GUI?

It is a bit strange to start a thread without explaining which "UI" you are talking About ! Raspbians UI, XBMCs UI, riscOS. UI?, the command-line interface?
They are all User interfaces!

[P.S. never mind, that is what you get when you go straight to the forum to moderate, instead of visiting the start page first!]

PeterO

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:11 am

andrum99 wrote: I prefer the panel at the bottom of the screen, but putting it at the top is more consistent with other Linux distributions.
Really ? Which ones ? (So I know to avoid them)

PeterO

simplesi

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:55 am

One thing about it- I found a Task Manager - I don't know if it was there before but if it was - I never noticed so its made at least one positive point with me :)
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

gkreidl

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:09 am

simplesi wrote:One thing about it- I found a Task Manager - I don't know if it was there before but if it was - I never noticed so its made at least one positive point with me :)
Simon
... has always been there.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mad-hatter

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:55 am

Hello,
andrum99 wrote:One loss is the "other" folder in the main menu that was useful for seeing what other stuff is available on the system: I would like to see this return. I prefer the panel at the bottom of the screen, but putting it at the top is more consistent with other Linux distributions.
I miss the other folder! Would like to see its return.
If you right click the panel and select Panel Settings you can put it where you like.

Regards

jamesh

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:22 pm

jdb wrote:
PeterO wrote:

PeterO

PeterO
Downloads are "slow" at the moment probably because there are several tens of thousands of people plugging freshly-unwrapped Pis into their home networks and hammering the OS image mirrors.

The UI was due for a substantial overhaul (note that this is *not* the same as the window manager - two distinct and separate concepts) due to a large number of idiosyncracies or non-intuitive interfaces that negatively impact the "out-of-box experience". Simon has been keeping a list (checking it twice) and it's currently running to several pages.

Most of the items on the list are mild annoyances but there are some big ones that got fixed. WiFi configuration in particular should be a much smoother user experience.

This work has also resulted in quite a few bugfixes for upstream LXDE.
This. Spoke to Simon quite a bit when he was doing the work - there are a lot of inconsistencies that are now fixed, LXDE bugs that are fixed (for everyone, not just Pi people), and the Wifi stuff is leagues better. I understand it is faster as well.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 pm

jamesh wrote: I understand it is faster as well.
It feels faster over VNC

simplesi

Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:01 pm

It feels faster over VNC
I thought that but thought it was some sort of placebo effect :)

I'll try and do a bit more comparisioin between two running setups

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

marked

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:57 pm

PeterO wrote:Really ? Which ones ? (So I know to avoid them)
Ubuntu did at one point with the default interface.

PeterO

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:12 pm

marked wrote:
PeterO wrote:Really ? Which ones ? (So I know to avoid them)
Ubuntu did at one point with the default interface.
I already avoid Ubnubnub for more significant reasons !
PeterO

Heater

Re: The Raspbian new UI thread

Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:39 pm

I just did an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade on my B+ and I did not notice any UI changes on reboot.

Mind you I normally commune with my Pis over SSH so I'm not familiar with the desktop.

What should I be looking for?

And yes, Ubuntu is to be avoided if at all possible. They just take Debian and break it in many and interesting ways.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DirkS

Re: The Raspbian new UI thread

Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Heater wrote:I just did an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade on my B+ and I did not notice any UI changes on reboot.

Mind you I normally commune with my Pis over SSH so I'm not familiar with the desktop.

What should I be looking for?
dist-upgrade + install raspberrypi-ui-mods (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/merry-christ ... -a-new-pi/, end of the article)

Gr.
Dirk.

BillStephenson

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:12 pm

andrum99 wrote: One loss is the "other" folder in the main menu that was useful for seeing what other stuff is available on the system: I would like to see this return. I prefer the panel at the bottom of the screen, but putting it at the top is more consistent with other Linux distributions.
To add the "Other" directory to your LXDE Start Menu you just need to edit one file. In the LXTerminal type:

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-pi-applications.menu
Copy and paste these lines into the file somewhere (I pasted them below "<!-- End System Tools -->"), save the file, and it will appear in your menu without a reboot:

Code: Select all

<!-- Other -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Other</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-other.directory</Directory>
		<OnlyUnallocated/>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Not><Category>Core</Category></Not>
				<Not><Category>Settings</Category></Not>
				<Not><Category>Screensaver</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
		</Menu> 
		<!-- End Other -->

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Heater wrote:I have no idea what new UI you may be talking about but a few thoughts spring to mind:

1) Who cares? Aren't you guys typing into consoles and ssh sessions to commune with your Pi's?

2) GUIs are supposed to be user friendly and helpful. If you need books and blogs full of screen shots to get you going they have failed. Might as well use the command line.

I guess I should install the latest Raspbian to see what you mean. Probably I can't tell the difference though.
+100
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”