iinnovations

Newark/Farnell DOES NOT Discontinue Model B

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:23 pm

What the heck? Why would they do this before even determining whether demand still exists? And why would the Foundation not know about it ahead of time?

C
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Newark/Farnell DOES NOT Discontinue Model B

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:30 pm

The licencees can be a law unto themselves, and don't necessarrily tell the Foundation anything (this may come back and haunt them). I've asked Eben when any new batches will be made.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mikronauts

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:23 pm

This is not good.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jdb

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:37 pm

iinnovations wrote:What the heck? Why would they do this before even determining whether demand still exists? And why would the Foundation not know about it ahead of time?

C
What source of information do you base this determination on?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

pluggy

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:58 pm

I wonder how many outfits there are out there who have nailed their colours to the mast with the B ? The B+ is a far better machine, but if your kit was made to fit round a B and you have a couple of thousand in stock........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 pm

mikronauts wrote:This is not good.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=94138
Re: Buying original Model B Mk2
Postby jamesh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 am

From the mouth of the horse, Farnell are still manufacturing B's at Sony and will continue to do so while there is still demand
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

PeterO

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Maybe the OP can tell us where he heard this from ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Prompted by this thread, I just checked the Farnell site and it says "no longer stocked" against the B.
That is probably the source of the OP's information.
Of course, it could well be a mistake by the people who administer the web site.

http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi-accessories

Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

DirkS

Re: Newark/Farnell Discontinues Model B

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm

I think it started here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=94138
(see top post)

jamesh

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 pm

alexeames wrote:Prompted by this thread, I just checked the Farnell site and it says "no longer stocked" against the B.
That is probably the source of the OP's information.
Of course, it could well be a mistake by the people who administer the web site.

http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi-accessories

I beleive the website is incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time. Farnell are still manufacturing. In fact I was in the Sony factory a few weeks agao, and I seem to recall seeing a big pile of B's ready for shipping. My memory, like my opionions, may be incorrect.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

andrum99

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:23 pm

CPC's UK website is still showing the model B for sale, although it lists it as "awaiting delivery":

http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/ras ... dp/SC12590

iinnovations

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 am

As I posted elsewhere, you cannot buy them. They are no longer stocked. I have been told by reps on chat (now twice) that they will no longer stock it, and to have people buy the B+.

If this is disinformation, they need to figure out who is the source and get the line straight. I assume they are doing this to, you know, make money, which is hard to do if your customers can't find your product.

C
cupidcontrols.com

jamesh

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 am

iinnovations wrote:As I posted elsewhere, you cannot buy them. They are no longer stocked. I have been told by reps on chat (now twice) that they will no longer stock it, and to have people buy the B+.

If this is disinformation, they need to figure out who is the source and get the line straight. I assume they are doing this to, you know, make money, which is hard to do if your customers can't find your product.

C
I'll talk to Eben - he said they are still being manufactured, so I believe Farnell have got their data wrong.

jdb

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 am

iinnovations wrote:As I posted elsewhere, you cannot buy them. They are no longer stocked. I have been told by reps on chat (now twice) that they will no longer stock it, and to have people buy the B+.

C
It's likely that the online reps are just quoting what it says on the website.

Have you tried calling Farnell's sales department? If you hear it from a manager then raise the issue with the Foundation.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 pm

They are NOT discontinued, and Farnell are still making them (RS are not, but Farnell have committed to make them for as long as there's demand). There were a few VERY large industrial orders for Model Bs over the last month or so which caught Farnell by surprise, and unfortunately all the line capacity is dedicated to B+ and A+ for the Christmas market for now, so they're out of stock - but Farnell are making more, and they'll be back soon.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

liz

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Update email from Claire:

"I'm on it, IT just told me it will be fixed by tomorrow."
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mikronauts

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 pm

That is good news for all of us still needing B's due to connector/mounting hole positions :)
liz wrote:They are NOT discontinued, and Farnell are still making them (RS are not, but Farnell have committed to make them for as long as there's demand). There were a few VERY large industrial orders for Model Bs over the last month or so which caught Farnell by surprise, and unfortunately all the line capacity is dedicated to B+ and A+ for the Christmas market for now, so they're out of stock - but Farnell are making more, and they'll be back soon.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

jamesh

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

mikronauts wrote:That is good news for all of us still needing B's due to connector/mounting hole positions :)
liz wrote:They are NOT discontinued, and Farnell are still making them (RS are not, but Farnell have committed to make them for as long as there's demand). There were a few VERY large industrial orders for Model Bs over the last month or so which caught Farnell by surprise, and unfortunately all the line capacity is dedicated to B+ and A+ for the Christmas market for now, so they're out of stock - but Farnell are making more, and they'll be back soon.
Just a quick question which I hope you don't mind me asking. Do you intend to move to the B+ form factor, or does the availability of the B mean there is no pressure to change, despite the improvements to the B+. And is there a reason you are not using the A+ or the CM?

mikronauts

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi James,

I don't mind the question at all.

I am working on moving to the B+ form factor, but the continued availability of B form factor is important to me until my stocks of B style products are exhausted. I will be starting to release '+' form factor products 2015Q1.

I love the improvements of the A+/B+ (as can probably be seen from my published reviews) but I am sure I am not the only add-on manufacturer who has existing stock of A/B format boards in inventory that will need to be sold.

Granted, all of my products work fine on A+/B+, but the board footprints don't match exactly due to the change in the relative position of the header, and the mounting holes do not match at all. Mind you, I far prefer the 40 pin header, and square mounting hole pattern :)

I am starting to use the A+, I think it is brilliant. At its price point, it is very suitable for embedded use. I just used one for a one-off EEPROM gang programmer!

I just wish there was a 512MB $25 variant.

I recently purchased a Compute Module development kit for evaluation, but at first blush, I am unlikely to embed the CM into products due to high cost, inconvenient connector (just try to find a vertical DIMM socket at a reasonable price). I may change my mind after I have a chance to thoroughly evaluate it.
jamesh wrote:
mikronauts wrote:That is good news for all of us still needing B's due to connector/mounting hole positions :)
Just a quick question which I hope you don't mind me asking. Do you intend to move to the B+ form factor, or does the availability of the B mean there is no pressure to change, despite the improvements to the B+. And is there a reason you are not using the A+ or the CM?

jamesh

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks!

iinnovations

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks for the update.

C
cupidcontrols.com

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 pm

liz wrote:Update email from Claire:

"I'm on it, IT just told me it will be fixed by tomorrow."
Unfortunately it seems while farnell have fixed it newark haven't :(

jamesh

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:40 am

No-one has ever accused the distributors of startling efficacy.

Return to “General discussion”