staticdump

Already killed my PI

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 am

Hello all,
I just wanted to inform everyone that I think I may be the first one to officially kill my Raspberry PI :(

Everything has been going fine with it. I have created most of the enclosure for my portable game system. It has all been assembled. The 4.5" RCA screen had been working beautifully. After a day of playing with it, nothing but a flashing red light. There is now a solid red light and a very faint green light. I have tested TP1 and TP2 and is reading perfectly at ~4.9. I have flashed and tried several SD cards (which of course were constantly having the root file system corrupted randomly. What went wrong? Any Ideas?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Already killed my PI

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:36 am

Can you try the very latest firmware - rpi-update should get it - there has been a fix to some SD card pullups that may help.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

bbb

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 am

I had a issue like that too this too - Pi would just sit there with LEDs on and not (continue) boot :( The only I could get it to boot, was to unplug the HDMI cable, disconnect, reconnect power, let the Pi power up. Then reconnect the HDMI and do ctrl-atl-del to restart the system and get the video back. In a nutshell, it would only boot up with HDMI on a 'warm' boot.

Latest firmware as a of about a week ago (has the emmc clock fixes) does not have this problem ..

The other thing that you might want to check is having over-clocked or emmc clocks set in /boot/config.txt, just try commenting them out. Note that /boot is just a FAT32 partition and visible on on a desktop PC (Linux, windows ETC ... ) and also contains the kernel and firmware ...

staticdump

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 am

I cannot update; the system will not boot, there is no activity, only a red light (and very dim green OK light).

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 am

jamesh wrote:Can you try the very latest firmware - rpi-update should get it - there has been a fix to some SD card pullups that may help.
He won't be able to use rpi-update with a dead Pi, surely? :D
[Edit: I see the OP beat me to it]
Last edited by alexeames on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

staticdump

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 am

Hi,

I have tried all basic troubleshooting steps: all cables removed, power cycled, cables re-added, voltage tested, different SD cards (and different manufacturers, all on the approved list), different distributions, etc.
There is only one red LED, and that very dim green OK light.There are no indications that the SD card is being read from, so whatever attempts I make to change config.txt is moot. I have been running wheezy beta since 6-18. I have also tried numerous power cables (all 5.0v .7a).

There is an ozone smell coming from the board now <- that now has me concerned, I do not want to wait til September for a new board :/

jamesh

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 am

If it's smelling, it's probably dead.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

staticdump

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am

Well, that bites... Roadkill PI...

It's had a rough ride, and I did do a lot of experimenting, so perhaps I can send it in for an 'autopsy' so they may further improve upon the design. The alternative would be to just throw it away.

SN

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

a moments silence everyone.... for the deceased pi.... :(
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

AndrewS

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 am

alexeames wrote:He won't be able to use rpi-update with a dead Pi, surely? :D
I added an "offline mode" to rpi-update for exactly that purpose :P (can be run from any Linux box)
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Sympathies for the ex-Pi :(

Lob0426

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 pm

RiP..........RPi :(
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

daveg

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Heart felt condolences.
I'm going to be extra careful with mine now.
So much so that its in a case to offer it more protection from my ham fistedness!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 am

It's dead ...

Jim

Sorry, I just could not resist that ... :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

designingweborg

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 am

Without a casing and exposed, RPi has a naked danger of shorting to RiP. I'd to be more careful with mine. Luckily, the ESD here in Singapore is not much of a concern.

Jock in a Frock

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 am

designingweborg wrote:Without a casing and exposed, RPi has a naked danger of shorting to RiP. I'd to be more careful with mine. Luckily, the ESD here in Singapore is not much of a concern.
Now that's a post that requires explanation! :lol:

zardoz99

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 am

Humidity...

Return to “General discussion”