jules2689

Charged extra for shipping?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

I ordered my raspberry pi from RS a while ago. They told me they expected a 3 week dispatch time. More than 5 weeks later, I finally get an email saying it shipped. I had been charged for shipping in the order. Now I am more than surprised to find a COD at my door, and the idiots at DHL apparently didn't have credit card payment, cash only. Didn't have cash on me. Now not only did I get charged TWICE for shipping, but now I have to wait another day for my extremely late package.

Has anyone else had a horrible experience like this with RS? I wouldn't have minded the COD if I had been made aware of it on order, but I wasn't. RS seems to be very unprofessional, has anyone else found this?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Charged extra for shipping?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm

In what country are you?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

macxcool

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm

My RPi just arrived, so my wife tells me, and we we're charged a COD charge as well. We're in Canada. I'm still really looking forward to using it but that's now about double the original cost of the device.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm

In my experiance it's normal to be ripped off by couriors on brokerage charges when ordering stuff from outside your country/trading block. It's why I (as a UK resident) generally regard buying from outside the EU as a last resort.

Mikeyl

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm

If you order from overseas you will be charged extra- happens in this country (UK) for orders from the USA and Canada.

You are responsible for all taxes incurred in your country - they are nothing to do with RS.

I found the process of ordering from RS pretty straight-forward and professional.

Mike

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:50 pm

What gets me isn't the taxes themselves it's the fees for collecting those taxes and the way by the time you find out what those fees are it's too late to do anything much about them.

fishy0689

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah. It's always a joy receiving orders from DHL or UPS. They seem to love tacking on an extra $40-80 for brokerage on international orders. I once had a collection agency call me on behalf of UPS for $40 I didn't know I owed them for some car audio stuff I bought. :roll: I MUCH prefer receiving stuff from usps if it's coming from the states.

jules2689

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm in Canada. I find it ridiculous that I'm being charged for shipping and then getting anther 20 bucks or so tacked onto the final price. My RPi board is advertised at $35, not $70. This is becoming quite an expensive buy. I'm still excited to use it, but I don't appreciate being charged a "processing" fee. Taxes I understand, but a fee for you to process a prepaid shipment? Come on.

jamesh

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:51 pm

jules2689 wrote:I'm in Canada. I find it ridiculous that I'm being charged for shipping and then getting anther 20 bucks or so tacked onto the final price. My RPi board is advertised at $35, not $70. This is becoming quite an expensive buy. I'm still excited to use it, but I don't appreciate being charged a "processing" fee. Taxes I understand, but a fee for you to process a prepaid shipment? Come on.
Please remember that these fees are nothing to do with the Foundation and are charged by DHL or whoever for all products imported in to your respective areas. We have no influence over the tax regimes of your governments or courier charges from your couriers. So please do not adjust the Raspi price to add those charges on - they are nothing to do with us. The Raspi is $35 PLUS local tax and shipping. If we advertised it at $70, it would then be plus tax and shipping as well, making it $100! And so on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jules2689

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:03 pm

I place no blame on RPi Foundation. I'm annoyed with RS for choosing DHL, a monster of a courier.

jphphotography

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am

Who did you order from? I had placed my order through Newark.ca the late in the release day (couldn't get on at 12am due to the crashed websites).

I had no extra charges at my door, here is what my invoice totals looked like:
Your Merchandise Total $35.00
Your Freight Total $12.00
Your Tax Total $4.70
Your Invoice Total $51.70
Sale in CAD
Your invoice was paid by credit card. No balance is due.

Newark has some $12 flat rate shipping fee that should include all brokerage etc, well actually there shouldn't be brokerage because its shipping from their Canadian warehouse.

Just thought I'd share my "Canadian Pi" experience.

I just wish I could order another 4 and save on shipping :)

ceps

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

jamesh wrote:
Please remember that these fees are nothing to do with the Foundation and are charged by DHL or whoever for all products imported in to your respective areas. We have no influence over the tax regimes of your governments or courier charges from your couriers. So please do not adjust the Raspi price to add those charges on - they are nothing to do with us. The Raspi is $35 PLUS local tax and shipping. If we advertised it at $70, it would then be plus tax and shipping as well, making it $100! And so on.
The foundation is not the one responsible for these fees but they could do more to keep them from happening.
Why should the only 2 distributors ship only with expensive courier services when there are cheaper alternatives?

The Pi costs 35$ excluding shipping and tax. When you order one you have to add a certain shipping fee, be it 5$ or 10$ or whatever. Why on earth should you have to add to that arbitrary handling fees? What's the shipping cost for then?
If it will cost 5$ shipping + 35$ handling for country X and 5$ shipping + 20$ handling for country Y, then they MUST advertise these prices BEFORE completing the order.
I'm not referring to country specific taxes. Only courier fees that can be made known before ordering.
If RS usually work with DHL, then they surely can get from them their handling fees for various countries and add them to the cost of the order.

I can't speak for any other country, but in Israel the import and tax laws state that anything that has a total value(including shipping) of under 75$ is tax free. No VAT, not import tax, no nothing.
Any under 75$ international order received by regular airmail will not be charged a cent extra. You also have to sign for anything that's to big to fit in your postbox(if no one is home then you have to collect it at the post office) even if it was sent by the cheapest possible postal service. So little chance of anything being lost or taken by others.
If however you receive something internationally via courier service(UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS...), they have the right to add on what ever fees they see fit, even if they amount to more then the value or the package!

The only way around stupid greedy handling fees is to allow us to choose our shipping method. I don't want to pay massive, totally avoidable fees just so I can have it delivered in 3 days when I can pay only the 5$ flat rate and get it after a week or so with regular air mail and no hiding fees.

Not allowing us to pick our shipping method(courier / regular airmail), forcing very high and unnecessary handling fees(AFTER already paying for the shipping), kind of defeats the purpose of a cheap educational computer for the masses.....

Phil Spiegel

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Have those who are complaining so vociferously about shippping fees and the regreable addons charged at the far end - about which I tend to agree - but CAVEAT EMPTOR - it applies to all of us according to the laws and practices of the county we live in: CONSIDER THE INCREASED processing and shipping costs at the SENDING end if 1 oe 2 items (comparatively few cpmared to the norm) would save a few pounds at the FAR end but NOT RECEIVE the benefots of the BULK DISCOUNT received 'up front' by having large deals with a few established networks - AND THE COST of the ADMINISRATION involved!!!

Have you looked up th ecost to send an INDIVIDUAL parcel by courier and compared it to the lower cost incurred through the bulk contract? - don't forget to add in the cost pf packing and handling - and don't compoare it against subsidised 'free' or nominal charge deliveries where the cost was built into the product: The Pi is Openly costed at 35US$ PLUS all the costs to send it to you INCURRED BY THE SENDER.

If you don't want to pay these costs - its simple - don't buy internationally. There is NO compulsion to buy, there is no legal requirement to SUPPLY - in fact the opposite applies with some goods affecting shipping routes (via Israel being one of them). WAIT until they are stocked locally, and the handling cost of shipping has been shared across the bulk supply.

The initial batches were all shipped to the UK - because that is where they were primarily intended to end up.
It costs a lot more to then re-ship them in small quantities arround the world, instead of waiting until a batch could be allocated and sent direct: but although that would have been environmentally and economically logical, it was not the requirement of the Foundation which was to dispatch in order of order-date... or the impatience of 'overseas purchasers' after a 'cheap computer'.

jules2689

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm

I do not like your statement. I am not after a cheap computer. I am after an opportunity to develop. I am a Software Engineer and Computer Scientist. I am a developer. The RPi gives an amazing opportunity to build various applications.

What I am complaining about is the fact that RS chose such a horrible courier. I have had international shipments come from various places around the world and incurred no COD charges. This is what I am ticked off about.

I understand there are rising costs, but a fee to simply pass a package is ridiculous. That is what the shipping cost is for. DHL should not be charging a processing fee, as that is what their business is.

I place no blame on the RPi foundation, and am excited to develop with the RPi. I have no resentment toward any company, except for DHL (and annoyance with RS).

jules2689

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 pm

jphphotography wrote:Who did you order from? I had placed my order through Newark.ca the late in the release day (couldn't get on at 12am due to the crashed websites).

Your Tax Total $4.70
Sale in CAD

Newark has some $12 flat rate shipping fee that should include all brokerage etc, well actually there shouldn't be brokerage because its shipping from their Canadian warehouse.

I purchased from RS components about 5 weeks ago. Their contact is ridiculous and sent me an email simply stating their customer service is the wrong department to contact and to contact someone else ... instead of forwarding my email. When I emailed the email they provided, it was an automated response. Looks like any future RPi purchases will be Newark :P You know in like a year when they become available again!

rasbeer

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm

jules2689 wrote:What I am complaining about is the fact that RS chose such a horrible courier. I have had international shipments come from various places around the world and incurred no COD charges. This is what I am ticked off about.

I understand there are rising costs, but a fee to simply pass a package is ridiculous. That is what the shipping cost is for. DHL should not be charging a processing fee, as that is what their business is.
I think it's reasonable for DHL (or other couriers) to charge fees when the Customs setup in their country requires them to pay the duty up front and then recover it from the final recipient. But why can't Customs can't trust couriers to recover the duty (& pass it on) or return the item to sender? And why should these fees be so high?

This is a basically problem for national governments. Moderators will correctly point out that only RS can mitigate this by offering more choice of delivery methods.

But I've raised the issue twice here with no sign of a response from RS. Presumably the Foundation has meetings with RS & Farnell now and then - perhaps this issue, which is having a huge impact on the end-user prices to arbitrary purchasers outside the UK - could be addressed via this channel?

bwoodbury

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm

jphphotography wrote:Who did you order from? I had placed my order through Newark.ca the late in the release day (couldn't get on at 12am due to the crashed websites).

Your Tax Total $4.70
Sale in CAD

I just received my Pi from Newark in Canada (WOOT!!) from my expression of interest on March 4. My costs in Canadian dollars was the same the above. Shipping and handling $12.00. Total cost (my Provinces tax is higher) delivered to my door $52.54CAD about 33GBP

Return to “General discussion”