lassebanana
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:50 pm

minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:03 pm

i wonder if minecraft comes with the raspberry pi b+ my friend with a model b says it does.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26655
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I belevie the latest NOOBS install of Raspbian comes with Minecraft pre-installed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm

lassebanana wrote:i wonder if minecraft comes with the raspberry pi b+ my friend with a model b says it does.
Nothing to do with the B+ or B, which are hardware. It comes with Raspbian, which is an Operating System. No mystery - it's easy to check:

From http://www.raspberrypi.org/new-raspbian ... -releases/
If you head over to the downloads page, you’ll find new versions of our Raspbian image and NOOBS installer. Alongside the usual firmware and kernel improvements, major changes to the Raspbian image include:

Java updated to JDK 8
Mathematica updated to version 10
Sonic Pi updated to version 2
Minecraft Pi pre-installed

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23334
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm

lassebanana wrote:i wonder if minecraft comes with the raspberry pi b+ my friend with a model b says it does.
The Raspberry Pi is that actual hardware and you need an Operating System on a miniSD Card for functionality ;)

The Raspbian Wheezy Operating System which includes MineCraft Pi Edition, it can be installed Standalone or via NOOBS

Please note MineCraft Pi Edition is not the same as the PC Edition
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

lassebanana
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
lassebanana wrote:i wonder if minecraft comes with the raspberry pi b+ my friend with a model b says it does.
The Raspberry Pi is that actual hardware and you need an Operating System on a miniSD Card for functionality ;)

The Raspbian Wheezy Operating System which includes MineCraft Pi Edition, it can be installed Standalone or via NOOBS

Please note MineCraft Pi Edition is not the same as the PC Edition
ah thanks :P minecraft is the modified version of the mobile version right :?:

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Take a look at issue #27 of the MagPi Magazine. There's an article in there about Minecraft on Raspbian.
http://www.themagpi.com/issue/issue-27/
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23334
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:35 pm

lassebanana wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
lassebanana wrote:i wonder if minecraft comes with the raspberry pi b+ my friend with a model b says it does.
The Raspberry Pi is that actual hardware and you need an Operating System on a miniSD Card for functionality ;)

The Raspbian Wheezy Operating System which includes MineCraft Pi Edition, it can be installed Standalone or via NOOBS

Please note MineCraft Pi Edition is not the same as the PC Edition
ah thanks :P minecraft is the modified version of the mobile version right :?:
Yes, it is based of MineCraft Pocket Edition......
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes, it is based of MineCraft Pocket Edition......
It's also a version that's so old it's wearing sandals and has a grey beard. It hasn't been updated since it was first released, the PC version has lots of shiny new things that are missing in the Raspberry Pi version.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
Mandrewpi
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am

Re: minecraft

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:46 am

Wasn't it made like that so you could code it to how you want it?
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

ghans
Posts: 7882
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: minecraft

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:43 am

Yes , you can control and modify the ingame world by
writing your own programs. The Google keywords are
"Minecraft Pi API" , alternatively check out the already
linked MagPi magazine (including old issues) , there were
some articles on this topic in it AFAIK.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 am

ghans wrote: there were
some articles on this topic in it AFAIK.
There's an article I wrote in issue #27
http://www.themagpi.com/issue/issue-27/
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
Mandrewpi
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 am

I want to play Minecraft with the new Feed the Beast modpack
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:I want to play Minecraft with the new Feed the Beast modpack
You can't.

The Minecraft client on the Raspberry Pi is an ancient old version of the 0.6.1 mobile pocket edition client and lacks all of the changes to that version and has none of the changes to the full-fat game since December 2012.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
Mandrewpi
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Yes I know but I want to download it on a PC I have
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:Yes I know but I want to download it on a PC I have
Then why are you asking on the Raspberry Pi forum?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
Mandrewpi
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 am

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:45 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mandrewpi wrote:Yes I know but I want to download it on a PC I have
Then why are you asking on the Raspberry Pi forum?
I was just sayin. Does it take the update to get Minecraft on Raspbian?
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

DirkS
Posts: 10362
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:Does it take the update to get Minecraft on Raspbian?
What update?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23334
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: minecraft

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Mandrewpi wrote:Yes I know but I want to download it on a PC I have
Then why are you asking on the Raspberry Pi forum?
I was just sayin. Does it take the update to get Minecraft on Raspbian?
You can not install the x86 PC version of Minecraft in any Linux/Unix Operating System available for the RPi

Raspbian Wheezy as stated has the Pocket Edition of Minecraft compiled for the ARMv6 architecture of the RPi... ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: minecraft

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:05 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes, it is based of MineCraft Pocket Edition......
It's also a version that's so old it's wearing sandals and has a grey beard. It hasn't been updated since it was first released, the PC version has lots of shiny new things that are missing in the Raspberry Pi version.
As the desktop version is using Java and the Pi supports OpenGL 2.1 on X11 with Eric Anholt's driver, it should be possible to run Minecraft.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39099
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: minecraft

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:15 pm

mimi123 wrote: As the desktop version is using Java and the Pi supports OpenGL 2.1 on X11 with Eric Anholt's driver, it should be possible to run Minecraft.
Best of luck getting that running.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23334
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: minecraft

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:28 pm

mimi123 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Yes, it is based of MineCraft Pocket Edition......
It's also a version that's so old it's wearing sandals and has a grey beard. It hasn't been updated since it was first released, the PC version has lots of shiny new things that are missing in the Raspberry Pi version.
As the desktop version is using Java and the Pi supports OpenGL 2.1 on X11 with Eric Anholt's driver, it should be possible to run Minecraft.
It supports OpenGL ES ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: minecraft

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm

mimi123 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: It's also a version that's so old it's wearing sandals and has a grey beard. It hasn't been updated since it was first released, the PC version has lots of shiny new things that are missing in the Raspberry Pi version.
As the desktop version is using Java and the Pi supports OpenGL 2.1 on X11 with Eric Anholt's driver, it should be possible to run Minecraft.
It supports OpenGL ES ;)
minecraft needs desktop GL, so Mesa is needed.

User avatar
xranby
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm
Contact: Website

Re: minecraft

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:18 am

minecraft work using the new Mesa3D vc4 driver.
a video of it running can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=787240#p787240
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

Return to “General discussion”