Proxin

Pi as a Forum host

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi there,
I was working with my Pi to make it into a forum server. However, it loads incredibly slow, even over a LAN connection.

Is this possibly my software that is the issue? I'm using phpbb. If it's just due to Pi hardware, is the Pi not recommended for normal use by multiple users as a server for a forum?

By the way, it's worth noting that I was the only user testing it when it was very slow. It concerns me in the case of too many people using it, or receiving a DDoS or something.

Regards,
- Proxin

ghans

Re: Pi as a Forum host

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:25 am

Well the Pi has the power of a several year old smartphone ... it's just not very powerful.

Have tried a PHP cache and checked if that improves things ? Not that I know
how to do that , just hearsay from some old forum posts.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

StevenP

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:40 am

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the speed of the SD card has a giant influence on the RPI in certain applications. The small file performance is crucial.

I was using cheap Kingston SD cards which worked OK mostly, then I tried a Sandisk Extreme SD card. With XBMC the performance was 15 times quicker. Also internet browsing was much better. For my internet radio there was no difference between cards. Worth checking to see if another card is any different?
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things..."

Forrrge

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

Here's a tutorial for setting up a forum on a RPi

http://www.ducky-pond.com/posts/2013/Se ... um-on-rpi/

Return to “General discussion”