komalpal

Re: How to bring up Raspberry Pi board

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

I have a Raspberry Pi alpha board. And a 2GB SD card without any OS(Blank).
I have never worked board bring up so I have no idea how to run Linux on my Raspberry Pi alpha board. I followed below link:
http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
but it does not describe how to write the image on SD card.
I want to know how do I write image on SD card and which Linux distribution.

regards,
Komal K Pal

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 am

Can I ask where you got the board from? And the best thing to do would be to go back to the person you got the board from and discuss the problem with them.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

komalpal

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 am

@Jamesh .... No that is not possible.

jamesh

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 pm

In that case can you give me the serial number on the board please, and I\'ll see what I can do.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

komalpal

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:41 pm

\"1483658\"
DEV-01588
Assy: 100-122091-0000 REV: P2

jeicrash

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Since all the Alpha boards should be relatively the same you can also ask someone else who has linux installed to send you an image of the SD card, Then you can use something like DD to transfer the image to the SD card.

The other method would be to grab one of the supported distros. Here is debians page for manual installation on special hardware such as arm. http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

It surprises me you have an alpha board in hand but are unable to contact Raspberry for help?

tinoesroho

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Holy cat! The leaks have already began, huh? Don\'t forget to \"accidentally\" leave on in a bar. :-P

bnolsen

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm

@tinoesroho

Marketing stunt. The fun here is that I\'m sure the posted serial number above can probably be traced. I wonder what the fallout will be (if any)?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Possibly a troll, thus not worth feeding?

Perhaps the quoted \"details\" are visible on one of the boards in posted videos.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:21 pm

[quote]Quote from Jongoleur on October 4, 2011, 19:00

Perhaps the quoted \"details\" are visible on one of the boards in posted videos.[/quote]

yup this one http://www.raspberrypi.org/?p=152

jamesh

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks ukscone. I was about to have a look around to see if that was the case. All serial numbers are logged so we know where they all are, and no-one has reported one missing AFAIK.

Not sure of the trolling going on here, it\'s not like anyone could do anything with the SD card image anyway, without the board itself. Just a load of binaries plus an almost standard Debian image. Maybe someone trying to hack the bootloader trying to get in to the Roku2? Won\'t help, for those listening, for reasons I won\'t go in to. All these images will be available in Nov/Dec anyway.

Anyway, if the OP want to post and explain what he wants he\'s more than welcome.
Whether he gets it is another matter, but he can ask!

vgrade

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

sorry missed the serial no

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 pm

I wuz too lazy to go looking.... :D

Trolls are getting frisky because you\'re getting closer to launch and they want to muddy the pools. NAUGHTY Trolls!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 pm

[quote]Quote from jamesh on October 4, 2011, 20:39
Thanks ukscone. I was about to have a look around to see if that was the case. All serial numbers are logged so we know where they all are, and no-one has reported one missing AFAIK.
[/quote]

yes I have a feeling that liz, eben and you know pretty much where they are at all times. probably the hidden gps module :)

[quote]Quote from jamesh on October 4, 2011, 20:39
Not sure of the trolling going on here, it\'s not like anyone could do anything with the SD card image anyway, without the board itself. Just a load of binaries plus an almost standard Debian image. Maybe someone trying to hack the bootloader trying to get in to the Roku2? Won\'t help, for those listening, for reasons I won\'t go in to. All these images will be available in Nov/Dec anyway.

[/quote]

yes you are probably right. that\'s about the only thing I could think of that they could want the sd card image for unless they want to use it with scratchbox2 so they can start building and testing stuff pre-raspi availability
[/quote]

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Actually it would have been easier for him (or her. lets not be sexist) to use the number from this image ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... CF1808.jpg ) rather than pausing the youtube video

komalpal

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 am

I got Debian image with SD card but I didn\'t have the password for \"eupton\" user and that was in text mode so I had format SD card and dd the Bodhi linux on that card. But that didn\'t work.

Please do not post non-technical stuff here and those people who posted video link and image link please recheck that serial number and please please do not post anything again you people are diverting actual topic.

eggn1n3

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:25 am

Try the password \"ifIwasarealdevelopperIwouldknowhowtoinstallLinuxonanSDcard\"

Don\'t waste our time with this.....

komalpal

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

I know how to install linux on SD card but I have no idea about board bring up. I can boot my PC with that SD card but not Raspberry Pi board because of different hardware architecture.

jamesh

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:50 am

[quote]Quote from komalpal on October 5, 2011, 07:43
I got Debian image with SD card but I didn\'t have the password for \"eupton\" user and that was in text mode so I had format SD card and dd the Bodhi linux on that card. But that didn\'t work.

Please do not post non-technical stuff here and those people who posted video link and image link please recheck that serial number and please please do not post anything again you people are diverting actual topic.
[/quote]

Well, now that you have cleared the SD card you are a bit stuffed. You need the image that was on the SD card - a standard Debian won\'t work - lacks various drivers. Did you backup the original SD card image?

What should have happened is that you contact the person who supplied you with the board, and he will have provided you with a password. I\'m not sure why you were unable to do this? Most of the people on this forum don\'t have access to boards yet so won\'t have been able to help. Please contact the person who supplied the board, and hopefully via private email we will be able to direct you to the appropriate download to redo the SD card. Its a 130MBish download.

lwalthour

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Nice catch ukscone.

On topic though, I\'ve never booted from an SD card... once it\'s formatted correctly, can\'t I just copypasta the files onto the card?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:27 pm

[/quote]

actually he is right the video is a different serial number. It is hard to read on the video. however I am still a teeny bit suspicious as it doesn\'t take much to extrapolate a serial number if you have several examples. the lowest number I have seen is 3644 and the highest so far is 3688 so the listed serial number is well within range.

but he/her could have a board although personally i wouldn\'t let someone who doesn\'t know how to deal with sd cards under windows and linux have one to play with unless the aim was to check for all possible ways to break it and as he/she won\'t/can\'t contact the original possessor of the board I am a little wary of whether they have it legitimatly which is concerning as I thought the deal was that the alpha boards were just on loan to the organisations/individuals who received them.

if i am completly off base with this then I apologize but it is suspicious

Svartalf

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:30 pm

[quote]Quote from lwalthour on October 5, 2011, 15:24
Nice catch ukscone.

On topic though, I\'ve never booted from an SD card... once it\'s formatted correctly, can\'t I just copypasta the files onto the card?[/quote]

Not really. It doesn\'t work that way with Windows 7/Vista (You can MOSTLY do that, but there\'s gotchas, etc. in attempting it. Same goes for Linux.)- there\'s special device interface \"files\" that won\'t copy/paste over, along with setups to boot, etc.

The closest thing would be to rsync the filesystem over and do the setups as needed. You\'d have to partition the SD up in a just-so manner, followed by doing the right formatting of the filesystems (First would be a FAT filesystem, second would probably be an EXT2/4 filesystem, and so forth...), followed by the aforementioned rsync and setup.

Svartalf

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm

I got Debian image with SD card but I didn\'t have the password for \"eupton\" user and that was in text mode so I had format SD card and dd the Bodhi linux on that card. But that didn\'t work. [/quote]

Heh...

Someone that\'s attempting this boot pass you\'re claiming would have looked a LOT closer at the FAT filesystem\'s contents as ALL ARM systems have a magic boot snippet or three that reside in the FAT filesystem on the first partition of the SD/CF/etc. At minimum, you\'re going to need the magic sauce in that first FAT partition that was there previously to be able to boot the device at all. Doesn\'t matter if it\'s a R-Pi, BeagleBoard, Igloo, Gumstix, PandaBoard, etc. you need that stuff there- and you needed the stuff that was on the SD before you wiped it out.

dd-ing a Bodhi image...special. What image would this be? There\'s pretty much only one that I know about right at the moment. It was framed in around June this year and it was supporting the Archos Gen8 series of tablets. If you\'re using something like that, it\'s probably not going to work. Hardware layout\'s MUCH different between the two devices- and if they\'ve optimized the stuff, the odds are good that the code\'s optimized around ARMv7 architecture as the original target\'s a Cortex-A8 SoC. This is an ARMv6 architecture SoC. It\'s going to choke on any NEON code out of box. Moreover, the bootloader magic\'s different for it versus the R-Pi.

I\'d be hanging my head in shame instead of drubbing people over missing the Serial Number and not keeping things technical...if it were me... But then, you\'re bold enough to be asking how to fix what you broke on an engineering eval board you\'re really not supposed to have in the first place...so I suppose it fits.

jamesh

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm

It looks like that board was sent out in his general direction, but may not have got to the sort of team we were expecting. Certainly doesn\'t sound like the person is the correct one for the job in hand.

Komal, get in touch with the person who sent the board to you so we can arrange something.

euxneks

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:09 pm

[quote]Quote from ukscone on October 4, 2011, 20:21
[quote]Quote from Jongoleur on October 4, 2011, 19:00

Perhaps the quoted \"details\" are visible on one of the boards in posted videos.[/quote]

yup this one http://www.raspberrypi.org/?p=152[/quote]

Good eye! hahaha

Return to “General discussion”