ScoobyDoo

Cheap battery Ups needed

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:58 pm

I'm currently using my pi as a home automation system running domoticz.
Living in the uk we get the odd power cut during the winter months. Had one last week, when this happens im finding I'm getting sd card corruption.
What I need is a cheap battery Ups solution.
I've seen various options from piups and power banks but no one has said if they work or what's the best one to get.
Can anyone recommend me one? Thanks

mikronauts

Re: Cheap battery Ups needed

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:19 pm

I've used inexpensive generic power banks with good success, however if you want to pay a bit more, the Patriot Fuel+ usb power banks work great - and I believe support being charged & used at the same time, so should work well as a UPS.

Of course you could use a "real" UPS, which would run a Pi for a very long time.
ScoobyDoo wrote:I'm currently using my pi as a home automation system running domoticz.
Living in the uk we get the odd power cut during the winter months. Had one last week, when this happens im finding I'm getting sd card corruption.
I've seen various options from piups and power banks but no one has said if they work or what's the best one to get.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Probably the best bet is to use a small commercial UPS. That way and the circuitry is already built for you and it has surge protection as well. I recently got a 350AH (250W, rated) one for about $40.

ScoobyDoo

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, the USB battery power banks look like what I need. Could someone post a link to one I can purchase in the uk that works?
Thanks

asandford

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:54 pm

I got one of these when they were on special at ~£16, and can keep a Pi going for several hours.

You can read a review of these by Alex of RasPI.tv.The documentation had been updated to say that it could used as a sort of UPS by having both power in and out cables connected.

BMS Doug

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I really like these, I've bought several.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

ScoobyDoo

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm

BMS Doug wrote:I really like these, I've bought several.
Just ordered one, I'll see how it goes. Thanks

davidcoton

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:17 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Probably the best bet is to use a small commercial UPS. That way and the circuitry is already built for you and it has surge protection as well. I recently got a 350AH (250W, rated) one for about $40.
I tried using a commercial (240V) UPS to back up my ADSL router. Problem was that the load was so low the UPS would think everything was off, so it went off to. From memory it needed a minimum load of 10% of its rated load. So the USB power bank route is more appropriate.
Signature retired

ScoobyDoo

Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Just a quick update. I purchased the above powerbank and its been running for the past 5 days and works. Ive pulled the power twice and the battery has taken over and continued to run the PI.
Thanks for the link. A worthwhile cheap battery UPS :D

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:17 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Just a quick update. I purchased the above powerbank and its been running for the past 5 days and works. Ive pulled the power twice and the battery has taken over and continued to run the PI.
Thanks for the link. A worthwhile cheap battery UPS :D
I'm glad you like it, I have been getting good use out of mine and you won't need a WIFI dongle if you have one (Unless using an A or A+).
Doug.

RaTTuS

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I'm currently using my pi as a home automation system running domoticz.
generally in the UK we don't get brownouts unless you live well down the line somewhere
where abouts are you having this sort of issue
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 am

RaTTuS wrote:
generally in the UK we don't get brownouts unless you live well down the line somewhere
where abouts are you having this sort of issue
I get occasional brownouts (very rare, maybe 2-3 a year) in the suburbs of London.
Doug.

davidcoton

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm in a "soft" rural area just south of Cambridge. Likewise we do have occasional brownouts and even full cuts. Two brownouts yesterday morning -- first one too short to affect PCs, RPi not running at the time. Second one, just after I had gone out, took out both PCs.

I'm developing an RPi as a heating controller for a church. I think it will need a powerbank to keep it alive 24/7.
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”