spectrum123

<ANSWERED> What is the new power plug called on the model B+

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello, I have a Raspberry Pi B+ and was wondering what the name of the jack and plug used to power the pi was called. On the A and B models, I believe those to use micro USB jacks, but the new pi is different. The reason I want to know is so I can wire a power switch into the extension while still maintaining the plug from the power supply.
Thank you in advance,
Lewis Anderson.
Last edited by spectrum123 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirkS

Re: What is the new power plug called on the model B+

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:54 pm

The B+ uses the same micro USB connector as the A and B.

Gr.
Dirk.

spectrum123

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:04 pm

DirkS wrote:The B+ uses the same micro USB connector as the A and B.

Gr.
Dirk.
Thank you for your quick response. This has proven very useful, but after some consideration, I think it may be better to wire a new plug onto it.
Thanks once again, Lewis.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 am

spectrum123 wrote:

Gr.
Dirk.
Thank you for your quick response. This has proven very useful, but after some consideration, I think it may be better to wire a new plug onto it.
Um...why?

Do you mean that you intend to remove the microUSB connector and replace it with something else? Or do you think that the RPF should redesign the B+ to use a different power connector? In either case, what connector would you suggest that is near universally recognized and available?

(I should note that barrel connectors are like the old joke about standards, and the Cubieboards, which use a barrel connector, perforce com with a USB to barrel connector cable. This has the knock-on effect of being generally unable to pick your own--single--cable length. One could use a USB male A to female A as an extension, of course, but then you have multiple connection points to go wrong.)

spectrum123

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:57 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
spectrum123 wrote:

Gr.
Dirk.
Um...why?

Do you mean that you intend to remove the microUSB connector and replace it with something else? Or do you think that the RPF should redesign the B+ to use a different power connector? In either case, what connector would you suggest that is near universally recognized and available?

(I should note that barrel connectors are like the old joke about standards, and the Cubieboards, which use a barrel connector, perforce com with a USB to barrel connector cable. This has the knock-on effect of being generally unable to pick your own--single--cable length. One could use a USB male A to female A as an extension, of course, but then you have multiple connection points to go wrong.)
I was going to cut the end off the supply and add another connection between the power supply and its connector to solder a power switch onto it. This is because I would like to make a completely separate box with a power switch. Using the same power plug would help replace the power supply if it was lost, broken, etc. The picture below may help to explain it. Having an extension means I could use the same power plug. The extra wire could be this as it would plug into the pi and to the supply and allow for a switch to be soldered to the wire. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-B-5 ... 4ad8c422c8
Attachments
Pi power diagram.png
Pi power diagram.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 757 times

fruitoftheloom

Re: <ANSWERED> What is the new power plug called on the mode

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:15 pm

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

BMS Doug

Re: <ANSWERED> What is the new power plug called on the mode

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Amazon sell solderable micro usb plugs you could use this to make a connector as desired.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”