Forrrge

Raspberry Pi Microcomputer Still Selling Like Hot Cakes

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 am

Nice little article and good to see thats its still doing amazingly well

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/12/3-8m-pi/

on a side note Kano is now shipping with their version of the OS being freely available, which they're claiming to be very fast

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/27/kano-ships/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Microcomputer Still Selling Like Hot Cakes

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:23 am

The fastest OS claim is a bit of a red herring I reckon. RISCOS is clearly the fastest OS, but the speed they have got with what is a tweaked Raspbian is down to removing a load of stuff from bootup (It in Raspbian to give more HW compatibility) and overclocking. Once you start comparing like for like (Raspbian at 1Ghz vs Kano at 1Ghz) there is very little difference between the two.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 am

Aye, Kano OS is definitely not any faster.

BMS Doug

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:23 am

Talk about accuracy in reporting:
The UK designed Raspberry Pi microcomputer, which has triggered all sorts of creative single board computing projects — most recently being repurposed as the heart of a DIY computer designed to help kids learn to code — continues to sell in far greater quantities than its creators ever imagined.
how can fulfilling it's original design brief be described as "repurposed"?

I've just read up on Kano and I'm struggling to contain my laughter, I find it incredible how many people are willing pay extra for nice packaging.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mung

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am

BMS Doug wrote:Talk about accuracy in reporting:
The UK designed Raspberry Pi microcomputer, which has triggered all sorts of creative single board computing projects — most recently being repurposed as the heart of a DIY computer designed to help kids learn to code — continues to sell in far greater quantities than its creators ever imagined.
how can fulfilling it's original design brief be described as "repurposed"?

I've just read up on Kano and I'm struggling to contain my laughter, I find it incredible how many people are willing pay extra for nice packaging.
I have not really looked at the product so I could be wrong, but I think the kano idea is to supply everything required to use a rpi in one box(other than a display). I will not comment on value/paying extra/or profits because I am a cheapskate and have never paid for anything without expecting a discount. That said, for beginners the idea is probably a very good one as beginners should not really be expected to know what extra items are required to use a bare rpi.

As far as the blurb in the article, if you have any idea about how that sort of thing works you should know most articles are actually written by the featured product retailers or developers and given to journalists with a small gratuity to hand in as their own work (and the journalist get paid for by the publisher). Articles are often thinly veiled marketing purporting to be about some related field but heavily placing a product with a tenuous link.

Most marketers hype products, they have to because everything else they compete with has marketers also hyping products.

From what I heard the kano guys were cambridge uni business graduates (could be wrong that's just from memory of what I think was on the foundation blog a few months back), I don't think any of them actually have any engineering background (I am probably wrong). Also a lot of crowd funding projects are bought into by VC funds that use the system for marketing more than any real fund raising.

I don't think you should hold the hype against the kano project, they are not really aiming at the geek hackers that are probably the major users of the rpi so far. The easier they make it for beginners to use the rpi the better for everyone as that means more users which means more money more development and a better system.

Correct me if I am wrong, most of what I say is guesswork and reading between the lines.

BMS Doug

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 am

I don't begrudge Kano for making it, good luck to them. As you say the more Pi's in circulation the better.

the Kano kit ($160 dollars) consists of:
  • 1 – Kano Books, illustrated and intuitive
    2 – Kano OS and Levels on 8GB SD card
    3 – DIY Speaker
    4 – Raspberry Pi Model B
    5 – Kano Keyboard Combo
    6 – Custom case
    7 – Card mods and stencils
    8 – Stickers!
    9 – Cables: HDMI*, Mini-USB
    10 – Smart power plug (all region pins available)
    11 – WiFi powerup
A maplin Raspberry Pi starter kit(£69) consists of:
  • Raspberry Pi Model B
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    4 port USB Hub
    WIFI dongle
    HDMI cable
    2.1A Power supply
    4GB SD card containing Raspbian image

as you can see for a beginner, the Maplin kit is a much better value for money although a case is not included.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mikerr

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:22 pm

The maplin kit contains all the hardware, but a beginner may well be lost faced with just raspbian,
you really need a techie/teacher on hand.

Over and above the maplin kit, the Kano kit also includes:

– Kano Books, illustrated and intuitive
– Kano OS and Levels on 8GB SD card
- case

and has alot of hand-holding step by step tutorials - it's pretty well done.

I'm not a fan of the pricing (or the non Pi branding),
but there is clearly a need for this sort of thing.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”