brambos

Minimal Raspbian install

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:41 pm

What would be the fastest booting minimal Raspbian/linux install I can get?
For my project I will run a headless Pi B+ which will only need ALSA audio/midi and USB support - and that's it. No network, no GUI.

Is there a minimal image I could use as a starting point, or is it safer to start with Wheezy/Noobs and strip it as much as possible? Or should I have a look at Arch-linux instead?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Minimal Raspbian install

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 pm

raspbian-ua-netinst

mikerr

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 pm

brambos wrote:What would be the fastest booting minimal Raspbian/linux install I can get?
For my project I will run a headless Pi B+ which will only need ALSA audio/midi and USB support - and that's it. No network, no GUI.

Is there a minimal image I could use as a starting point, or is it safer to start with Wheezy/Noobs and strip it as much as possible? Or should I have a look at Arch-linux instead?
On boot times, raspbian will never be the fastest: normally 30 seconds, but I've had it down to 17 seconds with tweaking.
By contrast arch-linux is much faster booting by default, and I've had that down to 7 seconds.
(both times were from rainbow screen to first picture taken - as I had raspistill at the end of bootup)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 pm

I think most of the boot time difference is down to systemd vs sysvinit. It's possible to use systemd with raspbian as well, which should speed things up a fair bit. Not sure I'd recommend it though.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:09 pm

You don't get a choice with Raspbian Jessie. It has systemd whether you want it or not.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gdt

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:50 am

Create a new boot target in the init system, and start only the stuff you need.

This works better than stripping out the packages, as then if you want to do some debugging (eg, and needing a network to do that) then you can simply do a full boot.

This has been done since the earliest production Unix systems, with System V run level 4 booting the AT&T hardware into the Branch Exchange application to do intelligent phone call routing.

rpdom

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:03 am

DougieLawson wrote:You don't get a choice with Raspbian Jessie. It has systemd whether you want it or not.
Not true. None of my Jessie systems use systemd.

systemd is now the default if you install Debian Jessie from scratch on a PC, but if you upgrade from Wheezy you can stick with sysvinit (especially if you disable the annoying installing of "Recommended" packages by default).

I will try switching one Pi or PC to systemd sometime to see what it is like.

Return to “General discussion”