gregor3000

Looking for keyboard

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:40 am

I think I need a keyboard.
I am running openelec and I only borrowed keyboard it to install it. i do the rest via SSH. but I see I do not need it in case I need to troubleshoot something directly on the Pi. e.g if I decide to do an upgrade or something.

I am also in the process of installing a new server that has only USB ports so I am thinking about getting a keyboard that is supported by both. my question is do these keyboards that support Pi (e.g. on modmypi) also support Ubuntu upon boot? does anyone know? particulary wireless ones. or is kernel on Pi somehow changed to include driver for these?

also I noticed that buying a larger keyboard means cheper shipping than getting that small remote control sized one. but I guess that is a question for them.

riklaunim

Re: Looking for keyboard

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:32 pm

There is no need for special drivers. I use wireless (USB dongle) Rapoo keyboard (full size, not tablet mini version) and it just works like any other.

DougieLawson

Re: Looking for keyboard

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 pm

The simple rule is any cheap & simple (less than £10, less than €15, less than $15) USB keyboard with no bells, no whistles, no unnecessary functions, no teasmades, no door answering mechanisms or other fancy features will just work. I run two Raspberry Pis and an Ubuntu system with just one keyboard (hot plugged into the machine I'm using).

As soon as you start adding fancy functions your keyboard may need more power than the Pi can supply (this may not be true on the model B+) and will fail unexpectedly.

The main problem folks have with cheap keyboards is when their local, alien layout doesn't match the keyboard layout commonly used in the United Kingdom. Some keys move, some keys disappear.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”