squeaky3

MuseScore anyone?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 pm

I am quite new to Debian/Linux. I am trying to install MuseScore, without much success.

The file I used was 'musescore_0.9.6+dfsg.orig.tar.gz' from the Debian Squeeze section.

I followed the README to unpack the file, and this all seems to go ok, but when I type

$ make release

As specified in the README, I get errors:

/bin/sh: cmake: not found
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/musescore-0.9.6/build'
make[1]: ***No rule to make target 'lrelease'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/musescore-0.9.6/build'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/musescore-0.9.6/build'
make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory 'home/pi etc etc
make: *** [release] Error 2

It's even worse if I try and install as root, I just get a whole list of

Can't cd into build

and then the whole system hangs.

Any clues? What am I missing?

louisb

Re: MuseScore anyone?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am

OK I am trying to work out what is going on it looks like you are completely new to this.

If you haven't done this already instal and run hexxxs rpi updater. Google for "rpi-update" for instructions. It makes the pi run much faster!

Then install the "synaptic package manager" <- Google for the instructions.

The steps for installing software as follows.

1. First use synaptic to search for and install the software you want. The chances are is the software you want is already there.

2. "Compile from source" <- Google it. It is *much* easier than you think!

I suspect you are trying to install an Intel binary that won't work on the ARM CPU. In fact most ARM binaries won't work in the rpi unless it has been compiled specifically for the rpi. (You also did not have cmake installed-- use synaptic to search and instal missing programs)

maribu

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 am

Hey, squeaky3!

You are missing cmake. I think in Debian (I only use Arch Linux) you can install it with something like:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cmake

The first one will update your database, the second one will install the package. You should regularly update your software. You can do this with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

But as louisb said: Probably there is already a precompiled package of MuseScore you can install. If you don't like the console, you probably will prefer synaptics over apt-get (as louisb mentioned).

Cheers,
Maribu

AndrewS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 am

Yes, there's a precompiled package of musescore in Debian http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/musescore but for some reason there's not an armel version available.
There is an armel version for wheezy http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/musescore so the easiest option for now will probably be to use the beta Debian http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435 and then just "sudo apt-get install musescore"

squeaky3

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes I am COMPLETELY new to this, but willing to learn!

After posting in a few other places...

I think the problem is I am trying to install x86 things on an ARM chip and it doesn't like it, I just hit an x86 type error. (command line option "-m32")

Not only was I missing cmake, but also QT core and Doxygen and a few other things..... I went for a later build because people were asking me why I was installing such an early version of Muse (0.9.6) - it was because that was the only listed in the Squeeze section. So I will try the wheezy one, and see if it works.

Thanks for the help so far....

AndrewS

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah, the versions of packages in Debian stable are always really old - that's the price you pay for stability ;)

pmiller056

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Just tp reinforce what has already been said. Update the Rpi kernel and everything else. Then use 'sudo apt-get install musescore' which will install it. It appears to load and run ok. I have loads of sound related error messages and it just clicks. I also have sound problems using other software, so it's not just Musescore. I'm using analog and not hdmi sound.

Regards

Peter

madtom1999

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:36 am

Anyone got this working?

DeeJay

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 pm

madtom1999 wrote:Anyone got this working?
Got what working, specifically?

As the previous poster said -

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install musescore
will install MuseScore V1.2 on a Raspbian system. (V1.3 was a bug-fix release with no new features.)

This was tested on a 'headless' networked RPi, so I haven't tried audio out or midi keyboard in.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

David Chatterton

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:11 pm

I have installed Musescore v1.2 under Rasbian on a Pi 2.
It appears in the menu under Sound & Video.
It seems to play the musical examples well enough through the speakers built in to my HDMI monitor.
The processor load shows ~ 12% when playing a piano solo such as Fur Elise.
It seems to cope with Peer Gynt - In the Hall of the Mountain King - four part saxophone - quite well. (Processor load up to 21% when synthesising all four parts at once.)
Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumble Bee for solo piano drives the processor load up to 33% at times but mostly it is sitting at about 15%.
I have not tried it on the Pi but, once you have a Pi 2, there's no going back!

RenatoVerasBaptista

Wed May 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Musicscore installed.
No play. Disabled (grey)
Any suggestion?
thanks.

RenatoVerasBaptista

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:06 pm

I just need to go to preferences / I/O and select ALSA as a sound provider. Now it works fine. Thanks!

Renato

RenatoVerasBaptista

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:07 pm

I just need to go to preferences / I/O and select ALSA as a sound provider. Now it works fine. Thanks!

Renato

Return to “General discussion”