Joe Schmoe

sshfs for Windows

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 am

There was a recent thread here about sshfs, that got me thinking. I apt-get'd sshfs on the Pi and was able to play around with it some. It is pretty cool - as JoJo said, it is good that it works as a plain user and does seem pretty secure.

Does anyone know of a free & good client for Windows?

FWIW, I had ExpanDrive's "SftpDrive" product in the past - bought it (paid a license fee) and everything. It worked pretty well, but of course, now I can't find either the installer for it or my license code. And their web site seems to have gone off the rails - seems it is all about cloud this and that - I can't figure out if they still have a product that works (in my traditional sense of that word) or if they've gone all apps-happy.

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised there doesn't seem to be a port of Linux sshfs to Windows. Does Cygwin have one? (Haven't looked into Cygwin in some time now).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

riklaunim

Re: sshfs for Windows

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:05 am

To big differences between systems. You can use Linux in a virtual machine (or native)... or use some SFTP code deployment script, or use something that is a microcontroler and not a second computer that can't be as cool in "remote" programming on a master PC. :twisted:

Joe Schmoe

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:15 am

I have no idea what you just said. Yes, it is English, but …

Care to translate? Thanks bunches.

riklaunim

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:21 am

There is no good SSHFS solution on Windows, as this feature is quite Linux-specific. You can check https://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/ but it looks like it's not actively developed any more. If that won't work you will have to look for other alternatives.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 am

OK - got it.

But do please note that the ExpanDrive (commercial) product to which I referred did work.

So it *is* possible.

ghans

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 am

I used BDrive Netdrive. You have to search a bit to set the connection protocol from FTP/FTPS to SFTP , but then it works.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”