use a phone ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

numanoids

Re: Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:18 am

Looking through this and other threads, RS Phone customer services don't provide updates to Pi orders as they seem to treat it as a separate part of the business.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm

dumbfounded wrote:The foundation chose to ally itself to RS and continues to do so by making it possible to order from RS despite them failing at every step. They're great guys though, and we should be feeling sorry for them because they're in barbados laughing their backsides off.

I'd cancel but according to RS it'll be here within the week.
A post full of fail I'm afraid. And please keep your Barbados opinions to yourself before someone has a quiet word in the libel direction.

The Foundation is not 'allied' to RS. RS and Farnell were both chosen as manufacturer/distributors for the Raspi, and there are contracts in place with both of those companies. You know, those contracts that companies have that means people cannot just drop out of deals without cost implications? Heard of those?

As someone above has said, let your feet do the voting.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

dumbfounded

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm

jamesh wrote: A post full of fail I'm afraid. And please keep your Barbados opinions to yourself before someone has a quiet word in the libel direction.
what's the lead time on that?

thomaspriv

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I just cancelled my order from RS and ordered from NewIT.
Lets hope for a fast delivery and a fast refund from RS :D

TheToothbrushMan

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm

... and in the meantime we all get to watch the the Raspberry Pi folks jet around the world, telling everybody how great everything is and reading magazines publishing articles on the groovy things you can do with a Raspberry Pi.

It's starting to smell like a scam. I know that the Pi folks are a charity and are driven by good motives and all, but come on - blaming your suppliers is the bottom of the barrel. They are your customers as much as the Raspberry Pi folks are ours and if we are cancelling our orders then given the reputational damage to the Raspberry Pi organisation surely the Raspberry Pi folks should think about cancelling their account with RS?

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:42 pm

You know, those contracts that companies have that means people cannot just drop out of deals without cost implications?
Are you seriously telling us that the foundation didn't negotiate certain terms and conditions in those very same contracts in order to protect the image and reputation of the charity? My firm had a contract with IBM, IBM failed to live up to the agreed conditions of the contract, so we binned them.

jamesh

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 pm

numanoids wrote:
You know, those contracts that companies have that means people cannot just drop out of deals without cost implications?
Are you seriously telling us that the foundation didn't negotiate certain terms and conditions in those very same contracts in order to protect the image and reputation of the charity? My firm had a contract with IBM, IBM failed to live up to the agreed conditions of the contract, so we binned them.
I am not privy to the exact detail of the contract.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 pm

dumbfounded wrote:
jamesh wrote: A post full of fail I'm afraid. And please keep your Barbados opinions to yourself before someone has a quiet word in the libel direction.
what's the lead time on that?
Keep this up and it'll be pretty soon.

jamesh

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 pm

TheToothbrushMan wrote:... and in the meantime we all get to watch the the Raspberry Pi folks jet around the world, telling everybody how great everything is and reading magazines publishing articles on the groovy things you can do with a Raspberry Pi.

It's starting to smell like a scam. I know that the Pi folks are a charity and are driven by good motives and all, but come on - blaming your suppliers is the bottom of the barrel. They are your customers as much as the Raspberry Pi folks are ours and if we are cancelling our orders then given the reputational damage to the Raspberry Pi organisation surely the Raspberry Pi folks should think about cancelling their account with RS?
You mention the S word once more and I will be forced to ban you. Also, any implication of misappropriation of charity funds will also result in an instant ban (for your own benfit as well as the Foundation). Just for the record, there is nothing scam like or untoward going on. Farnell and RS were given the same information by the Foundation - how the distributors then used that information was up to them. They used it in different ways, Farnell well, RS not so well. How is that the responsibility of the Foundation? The blame for any RS failure lies entirely with RS for not taking on advice given by the Foundation, and the Foundation is in no position to force they multinational companies to do anything they don't want to do.

As far as I know, cancelling the contract would cost the Foundation a LOT of money, so is not an option. Even if there was a reputation damage clause in the contract (I don't know if there is or not), the legal costs of enforcing it would be catastrophic to a charity, and there would the added problem of trying to prove reputational and economic damage - not an easy task.

dumbfounded

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:05 pm

do you represent rs or the foundation? or are you a concerned citizen?

if rs did what they said they would do or even responded to enquiries we wouldn't all be moaning about it. so don't threaten people it does not reflect well on the foundation when you do that.

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 pm

The blame for any RS failure lies entirely with RS for not taking on advice given by the Foundation, and the Foundation is in no position to force they multinational companies to do anything they don't want to do.
Ok so perhaps there is no option to cancel the contract/agreement in place but if you look at the continued length of this thread and the sheer number of disgruntled RS customers, the very least the Foundation can do is A) put some pressure on RS to communicate more effectively with those of us who are still waiting for our deliveries, and B) if the RS response isn't good enough, make a public statement regarding RS inability to satisfy orders and suggest anyone looking for a unit to look at the myriad of alternative suppliers who have popped up.

I'm absolutely certain any other charity who allow firms to manufacture their goods with their brand presence would do similar with anyone who is hurting the fundamental goals of the charity due to shoddy management, customer service or whatever else has claimed to have happened to result in this situation.

thomaspriv

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Ok now I'm really suprised.

Ordered this morning at 10AM and this is the status now at 16:21

Order Management
Order ID Date Status Tracking Number Grand Total Details
xxxx 2012-10-02 10:13:50 Order Shipped RJ683585560GB £61.15 click here

Almost time to play with my slice of pi xD

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm

thomaspriv wrote:Ok now I'm really suprised.

Ordered this morning at 10AM and this is the status now at 16:21

Order Management
Order ID Date Status Tracking Number Grand Total Details
xxxx 2012-10-02 10:13:50 Order Shipped RJ683585560GB £61.15 click here

Almost time to play with my slice of pi xD
You haven't said where you ordered this from but I'm presuming its RS Components?

Pi-Scan

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

My raspberry pi ordered from NewIT.co.uk has arrived today.

They resell the element14 raspberry's. Came in the original element14 box

jamesh

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 pm

dumbfounded wrote:do you represent rs or the foundation? or are you a concerned citizen?

if rs did what they said they would do or even responded to enquiries we wouldn't all be moaning about it. so don't threaten people it does not reflect well on the foundation when you do that.
I'm a moderator on this site, and therefore represent the Foundation in that respect. I also work at Broadom with Eben, and am familiar with many of the behind the scenes issues.

Reminders of whose website this is are only necessary when people overstep the mark. Please read the forums rules, and remember that there is a contract between the Foundation and the distributors and therefor people overstepping the mark here need to be reminded where the line is such that there can be no comeback on the Foundation.

TheToothbrushMan

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Jamesh. Who are you ? Are you a moderator ?

In all the posts I am reading, I can see unhappy customers, and suggestions, and questions - but I can see no bad language, no swearing, no abuse. Anywhere.

And yet you are threaten me (and others) with litigation. For using words you yourself use in your own threats.

This is a moderated forum - all submissions are checked for abuse before posting. If my words are so objectionable, then why are they appearing online, having already been moderated? This simple fact makes your threats of libel moot.

If you do indeed represent the Foundation (and you are not answering this question as posed by others), and the Foundation does proceed with libel proceedings against me, then I feel obliged to point out that such proceedings would be i) futile, ii) costly and iii) reputationally catastrophic for the Foundation.

Which is strange because these are the very reasons that you're giving us for not breaking off the contract with RS over their shoddy service.

I can only conclude that the Foundation are not happy with breaking the contract with RS for reasons of futility, cost and reputation, but are quite happy to sue their own consumers, whatever the futility, cost or reputation. Most odd.

The overall impression given is of the passengers on a sinking ship, being punished for merely suggesting that it may be a good idea to transfer to another ship.

If you do represent the Foundation, can you tell me why I have not received a Pi despite having registered in May, when others are receiving theirs having registered more recently than May? Does such inconsistency give the Foundation cause for concern with RS?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 pm

TheToothbrushMan wrote:Jamesh. Who are you ? Are you a moderator ?
Ever notice that jamesh (and a few others) have their names appear in green? Ever pause to wonder what that meant? Yeah, he's a forum mod.
In all the posts I am reading, I can see unhappy customers, and suggestions, and questions - but I can see no bad language, no swearing, no abuse. Anywhere.
You've been suggesting that a major distributor of Raspberry Pis has been engaging in illegal practices in public. You don't need to worry about the Foundation taking action. You need to worry about the distributor taking action against you for defaming the company.

The Forum Mods sitting on you is because the Foundation doesn't want to be seen as a party to your assertions. In the Mods place, I wouldn't either. You've been given plenty of rope and you appear to be intent on hanging yourself.
This is a moderated forum - all submissions are checked for abuse before posting. If my words are so objectionable, then why are they appearing online, having already been moderated? This simple fact makes your threats of libel moot.
Sheesh... The only prior checking is done on the first few posts to make sure they haven't attracted a spammer. Other than that, moderation is done after the fact.

Just read the forums for a while and it should be obvious how it's being done.
If you do indeed represent the Foundation (and you are not answering this question as posed by others), and the Foundation does proceed with libel proceedings against me, then I feel obliged to point out that such proceedings would be i) futile, ii) costly and iii) reputationally catastrophic for the Foundation.
It's NOT the Foundation you need to worry about. Besides...if someone took action against you over what you've said, I--for one--would cheer them on. Their reputation would be that of a company that stands up for itself and won't tolerate slurs that damage its reputation.

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm

But basically treats thousands of customers in a completely disrespectful fashion? Possibly breaks UK selling regulations in their actions by holding onto cash when they haven't been able to supply goods within the period advised? (whether their actions break regulations outside the UK I'm not bothered about, its a UK entity I'm dealing with therefore I'm covered under UK law).

I personally would welcome them taking anyone to court over the whole matter and thus thrusting the pitiful treatment into the public eye. So much so that I've already notified some news websites of this thread so hopefully will result in the right amount of negative publicity for RS.

simplesi

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 pm

The trouble with trying to get RS name further into the mud outside of our little circle is that undoubtedly, mud would end up sticking to the Foundation as well and to the good name of the RPi itself which isn't a good idea in the long run :(

There's little doubt that RS did things bad(ly) and then handled the mistake even worse and they have won the world record for how far you can stick a companies name into the ground

Its hard to imagine anyone in UK RPi community purchasing anything from them in the future (until of course we forget about it in 6 months time when something cool is only available from them :) )

In the UK, I believe that they have returned money to people who cancel their orders with them (or was that in a dream????) so just cancel, get your money back and order elsewhere.

regards
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Ok I've waited 14 weeks already, yes I'm going to cancel and start waiting for it again and then have to wait another 2 weeks for a refund when I *should* be hitting the top of the waiting list. Perhaps not.

I think the fact that there are plenty of other threads complimenting the likes of CPC/Farnell New-it and other suppliers shows that others can do the job right and the problem is solely with RS so I refute your suggestion it harms the foundation to be showing a supplier's inadequacies.

simplesi

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 pm

so I refute your suggestion it harms the foundation to be showing a supplier's inadequacies.
I call your refute :)

You've read stories in the papers where you know the true facts? - Yes?

So what is going to happen if some "not worried about the true facts" big journalist start writing about this?

You think the headline is going to read "RS are a ......" - no - its will read "The RaspberryPi Foundation ......." :(

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

numanoids

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:01 pm

simplesi wrote:
so I refute your suggestion it harms the foundation to be showing a supplier's inadequacies.
I call your refute :)

You've read stories in the papers where you know the true facts? - Yes?

So what is going to happen if some "not worried about the true facts" big journalist start writing about this?

You think the headline is going to read "RS are a ......" - no - its will read "The RaspberryPi Foundation ......." :(

Simon
Again you presume to know who I've submitted to, perhaps you shouldn't jump to assumptions.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm

TheToothbrushMan wrote:The reputation of the Foundation is suffering fast through no fault of it's own. This is my concern.
Then why aren't you contacting the supplier you ordered from? The orders don't flow through the Foundation.
And with such scandalous treatment of the customers and ever delayed shipping - it's only natural that folks are going to think something untoward is going on. Hence my comment.
Your beef is with the supplier. Whinging about it *here* isn't going to resolve your problem. You need to contact the supplier.
And now I am being threatened with libel?
Only if you keep bad mouthing the supplier *here*...where no one has the ability to do a thing to help you.
Consider my order cancelled.

A waste of 17 weeks.
Tell that to the *supplier*. No one here and no one from the Foundation can process your order cancellation.

Now...I understand why you're upset. I understand your frustration and why you're lashing out. However, I also understand how the present situation developed and I understand that neither Foundation, nor anyone on the Forums can fix the whole thing, let alone your, personal, problem.

To recap... The Foundation *told* the suppliers to expect a lot more orders than one would normally expect is this sort of situation: a new, untried product that is decidedly weird compared to their other products. One supplier took that advice to heart and has managed their supply chain very well.

The other supplier, probably reasoning that a bunch of engineers having no clue about marketing products, were wrong and they--as a company with a lot of experience in sales and marketing--had a better grasp of the realities of the situation used their own judgement about like sales volumes.

This time, the engineers were right, and that second supplier got caught flat-footed by the demand. Since there are long lead times from order to delivery for the SoCs (roughly 6 months, from what I've been told), the early mistake has propagated though all that time.

The condition that caused the problem was NOT made by the Foundation. The Foundation can't fix it. Blaming the Foundation won't fix it. Only time will fix it....and that time mediated fix is starting to percolate through.

Really...anyone who was paying attention to delivery lead times last July would have seen the best way to order and not gotten caught in the mess.

Flixi555

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm

So I thought I would go onto the rasp pi forum to check out the order updates from RS.
I am not happy to see that kind of fighting going on here and the way the moderator responds is kind of unprofessional.
Please delete those posts and lets go back to people posting their order number and when it was shipped.

P.S. I'm pissed about RS too, but it's being discussed in EVERY thread now and that's just f***ing dumb!

Return to “General discussion”