f32mark

Re: Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Can people stop harassing the Foundation about RS' problems? I don't know any of the members but I really don't think they are in cahoots with RS and are deliberately annoying all of us people waiting for their Pi (and that includes me).

RS have really messed up big time, we all know that & I rather suspect they have been victims of the extraordinary interest in the Pi, like the Foundation. The big difference is that RS are a large business who provide many thousands of items to many millions of people around the world and are run to make a profit. The Foundation, as I understand it, are predominately volunteers trying to get cheap computers into the hands of youngsters to light the spark in their minds.

Maybe I'm a bit laid back because I've already had a Pi that died (weak SD card reader is an issue), but I don't see how haranguing the Foundation on here is going to get your delivery any quicker.

PS. I may look like a bit of a Johnny-come-lately on this forum, but I was on here as markb, but my account got messed-up and I've had to rejoin.

Dweeber

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Common sense is many times not so common.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

cutterjohn

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
sgegreen wrote:Seems that RS shipped to Maplin, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 84#p182384 for jamesh's mention of pink boxes.
Good grief - what an assumption to make! Just because Maplin box is the same colour as the RS box you make the link that RS supplied Maplin? Stunning!

In fact, the Maplin box contains a Raspi, a mouse, a keyboard, a wireless dongle, a power supply and cables. And is pink. So very unlikely to be that really rather small pink box that RS supply in.

Raspberries are pink - it seems a logical idea that the box would be....whoever supplies it.
You know what would be truly hilarious?

IF it turned out that Farnell(and sister/subsids) was actually supplying them, along with managing to actually ship individual orders in a few days or so in most cases, meanwhile RS has it's thumb stuck somewhere...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Cotard wrote:
jamesh wrote:people made an incredible leap of imagination
If we had information would not have that problem.
??? Somebody mentioned the Maplin deal, I said it was a good deal and the box was pink. From that, people assumed RS are supplying Maplin. That's what I'm commenting on. I gave you information, people took 2 + 2 and made 5. It's like saying I've got a red car at home, therefore it's a Ferrari!

It's not a Ferrari btw.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

toxibunny

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 pm

f32mark wrote:Can people stop harassing the Foundation about RS' problems? I don't know any of the members but I really don't think they are in cahoots with RS and are deliberately annoying all of us people waiting for their Pi (and that includes me).

RS have really messed up big time, we all know that & I rather suspect they have been victims of the extraordinary interest in the Pi, like the Foundation. The big difference is that RS are a large business who provide many thousands of items to many millions of people around the world and are run to make a profit. The Foundation, as I understand it, are predominately volunteers trying to get cheap computers into the hands of youngsters to light the spark in their minds.

Maybe I'm a bit laid back because I've already had a Pi that died (weak SD card reader is an issue), but I don't see how haranguing the Foundation on here is going to get your delivery any quicker.

PS. I may look like a bit of a Johnny-come-lately on this forum, but I was on here as markb, but my account got messed-up and I've had to rejoin.
I agree. I'm one of the ones that got their Pi before RS ran out of stock though, so I don't have a problem with them. I can imagine that people who ordered ages ago would start to feel more and more resentful as time goes on, and especially when they read about farnell-ordering people getting their pi in days... It's just human nature...

It's a shame. The bitching makes me feel uneasy too, but I imagine when RS sort their act out and catch up, then most people will forget about it, just as most people who have their pi now have forgotten about the many prior delays...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

cjthebrave

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20 am

Aaaaarrrggghhhhhh !!!!
Parcelforce delivered. . . . . after I'd waited 16 weeks for my moneysworth . . . . .but . . . .

We were out !!! Got home to receive a note saying RPi was at Local Post Office - but I was too late, it was shut. Another day to wait now :roll:

Of course, had RS honoured the original delivery date it was the Summer holidays and I could have guaranteed someone to be in all day, any day!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cotard

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 am

jamesh wrote:
Cotard wrote:
jamesh wrote:people made an incredible leap of imagination
If we had information would not have that problem.
??? Somebody mentioned the Maplin deal, I said it was a good deal and the box was pink. From that, people assumed RS are supplying Maplin. That's what I'm commenting on. I gave you information, people took 2 + 2 and made 5. It's like saying I've got a red car at home, therefore it's a Ferrari!

It's not a Ferrari btw.
Your example is not like RS has a delay in shipping orders of 6 months. Now it finally starts to prepare shipments are in a striking pink. While it appears another vendor shipments are apparently in pink packets when any seller until now used for packets that color. People wonder if it will be that RS is serving before those vendors that individuals who have been waiting so long. I only said that if RS had been worried about having a little more informed customers who have already paid their product these things would not happen.

cjthebrave

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 am

Hurrah !!! :D
Finally, exactly 101 days after I placed an order and 101 days after funds were withdrawn from my account, I received my RPi. Not a whisper from RS again, who were supposed to have advised me of shipping etc. But then I've become used to that from them . . .
What does grieve me a little though is that those of us who have put up with RS's abominable treatment of its customers all this time are new being delivered Rev 1 boards, whilst people who ordered only days ago from other (more customer focussed) suppliers are receiving Rev 2's at the same time.
It seems RS have sat on our money, ignored us for months and then as a final whammy, kicked us in the nether reigons just once more for good luck.
Well done RS !! One more 'customer' you can be assured of never hearing from again. :evil:

rew

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:53 am

cj,
Of course they have been producing many rev 1.0 boards in the last few months. You can't just throw them away, can you? Somehow, RS is having problems getting the RPIs into the hands of customers. So it sounds plausible to me that they are now shipping the last few version 1 boards they have.

I don't remember if in the end I ordered a 'pi from RS as well. But I got an Email from them that they ran out of BCM2835 chips. If that's the case, they would have a big pile of PCBs with just one chip missing.... (well two actually :-) ).
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

numanoids

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Remember all that under UK distance selling regulations you've got 7 days to return the item so if you really want to get a rev2, be careful what you do with packaging etc and you can just send it back and order the rev2 from places you know you can get it.

It may not harm RS in any way but it would be a massive vote of no confidence.

jamesh

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Please remember that the rev1 boards are pretty much the same as the rev2's - there is no performance difference between them, just some minor things to help with minor issues that I've never seen anyway. The main thing is mounting holes!
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

simplesi

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm

People ALWAYS want the shiny new thing - not the old model :)
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

sgegreen

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Re performance difference between Rev1 and Rev2 boards:

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that boards with Samsung RAM overclock more reliably than those with Hynix RAM.

My Rev2 board from Sony's Pencoed factory has Samsung RAM.

I've not yet tried Quake, but so far mine is OK using the 1GHz Turbo mode, back-powered from a Belkin F5U701P USB hub, and with no power supply connected to the micro USB power socket.

SD card is 16GB Transcend Class 6 from Amazon.

Of course, this is an entirely unrepresentative sample, so YMMV...

dumbfounded

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am

So we're into the delivery week revised by RS, I remain skeptical as to whether it will turn up but will give it a chance.

I'm curious, have they successfully delivered what they said they would after the timetable changes for anyone else or are they behind again?

jamesh

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am

sgegreen wrote:Re performance difference between Rev1 and Rev2 boards:

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that boards with Samsung RAM overclock more reliably than those with Hynix RAM.

My Rev2 board from Sony's Pencoed factory has Samsung RAM.

I've not yet tried Quake, but so far mine is OK using the 1GHz Turbo mode, back-powered from a Belkin F5U701P USB hub, and with no power supply connected to the micro USB power socket.

SD card is 16GB Transcend Class 6 from Amazon.

Of course, this is an entirely unrepresentative sample, so YMMV...
RAM is pretty much irrelevent. The current sample is about 20 people, with about 66% using SS ram - completely unrepresentative. In addition, there is no correlation between board revision and RAM manufacturer.

cjthebrave

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 pm

dumbfounded wrote:So we're into the delivery week revised by RS, I remain skeptical as to whether it will turn up but will give it a chance.

I'm curious, have they successfully delivered what they said they would after the timetable changes for anyone else or are they behind again?
Hi Dumbfouded, yeah RS did meet the revised delivery 'week' they advised me of (last week, w/c 24th), however there was never any notification from RS that it was on its way as they originally promised, the first I knew about it was a Parcelforce e-mail that indicated to me that there was a parcel on its way.

Rev 1 board - manufactured in China - security seal broken on 'pink' box (though it works perfectly), and I assume the Pink Box is RS's as it has an RS logo moulded into it. Other comments re pink boxes and Maplin etc only hold water if there are RS logos on them.

Give them a chance, but don't expect RS to advise you of anything direclty - thery're a total waste of space as regards this project.

TheToothbrushMan

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Am getting more and more fed up with RS, and now that I hear Maplins amongst others are now stocking Pis only makes the frustrations worse. Its like there were two queues for the pi, one for Farnell and a second for RS. Only the RS queue stopped moving whilst you're despondently watching the Farnell queue move seemlessly.

And then, to add insult to injury, another Maplin desk opens up and that queue also moves quickly!

Why couldnt the Raspberry Pi folks have cancelled with RS and moved all of us to the head of the Maplin queue before anybody else?

wiggis

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Chaps & Chapesses,

Vote with your feet! Do as you would do with any other business. If you are not happy with the service, then go elsewhere. Want to get a RPI before the weekend and start playing? You can make that happen. There are loads of places on-line who will supply a new Revision 2 board with next day delivery, and ebay is awash with the accessories, including nice cases for a couple of pounds a piece, compatible nano wifi dongles for less than five pounds, etc.

Given that RS offer an option to cancel and get your money back relatively painlessly (OK - they might take 3 weeks to do it!), I see no reason other than pure masochism why anyone would continue to sit it out and wait with them for a moment longer.

Here's what I've done with my 1st RPI. I converted an 'old' 4:3 LCD monitor into a useful computer with the aid of an RPI (£30), nano wifi dongle (£4.50), HDMI cable (£2.30), an HDMI to DVI converter (£1.60), and an old wireless keyboard and mouse that I had retired from my main PC (free). I even managed to power the RPI using the USB connector built into the monitor. A bit of velcro, and the RPI is stuck to the back of the monitor, nicely out of sight. I think I will call it an iRaspberry :lol:

Now ...... if I'd waited on RS delivering my order ........

Dweeber

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm

TheToothbrushMan wrote:Am getting more and more fed up with RS, and now that I hear Maplins amongst others are now stocking Pis only makes the frustrations worse. Its like there were two queues for the pi, one for Farnell and a second for RS. Only the RS queue stopped moving whilst you're despondently watching the Farnell queue move seemlessly.

And then, to add insult to injury, another Maplin desk opens up and that queue also moves quickly!

Why couldnt the Raspberry Pi folks have cancelled with RS and moved all of us to the head of the Maplin queue before anybody else?
I doubt seriously that Maplin got their boards from RS... I'm pretty sure they came from a Farnell channel... That is where everyone else that has them has been getting them from.

There ARE two queues.... one is RS which has had serious problems and Farnell which has been on top of things. They are two separate companies with their own manufacturing and parts acquisition. The "Raspberry Pi Folks" have no control over these independent companies.

Many have been canceling their RS orders and ordering from Farnell or others with stock in hand. Not sure why most have not followed.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

kspn

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Personally I didn't cancel my RS order because I decided to just wait it out, I have already got 3 RasPi's from E14 and the additional one is simply icing.

So for me it was easier to wait for RS to finally get around to doing the delivery and whenever it turned up I get a nice surprise (assuming that it works), however all my future orders will be avoiding RS, whether it is a RasPi, or something else, I will be avoiding them. (I also haven't really bothered whinging about it, it is annoying, but meh)
No Coffee, No Workee

dumbfounded

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 am

The foundation chose to ally itself to RS and continues to do so by making it possible to order from RS despite them failing at every step. They're great guys though, and we should be feeling sorry for them because they're in barbados laughing their backsides off.

I'd cancel but according to RS it'll be here within the week.

f32mark

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 am

dumbfounded wrote:The foundation chose to ally itself to RS and continues to do so by making it possible to order from RS despite them failing at every step. They're great guys though, and we should be feeling sorry for them because they're in barbados laughing their backsides off.

Bull.

Like you I'm waiting for a pi from RS, but I think that's where the similiarity ends.

snomis

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:53 am

dumbfounded wrote:The foundation chose to ally itself to RS and continues to do so by making it possible to order from RS despite them failing at every step. They're great guys though, and we should be feeling sorry for them because they're in barbados laughing their backsides off.

Has your been dispatched??? RS said mine was dispatched on 27 September - but no tracking email has been sent, this would be DHL.
Keep trying to get an answer from RS - guess what NO RESPONSE - NO ORDER

dumbfounded

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 am

which bit?

dumbfounded

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 am

I have no idea if it has or not. they won't answer emails and have not communicated at all since the delay

Return to “General discussion”