Hakase

Re: Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Excellent work on Farnell!
- 24.9 I cancelled my order from RS.
- Yesterday, 25.9 I ordered from Farnell
- Today, 26.9 Item is shipped!!

I'll probably order another one from Farnell for my dad =) Never using RS anymore..

cjthebrave

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm

wiggis wrote: I think most of us accept your point that this is not a foundation issue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Well said, and heartily seconded wiggis. The whole problem here is the way in which RS have failed to communicate with what they must laughingly call 'customers'. I for one wouldn't be in a job if I treated my customers the way they have theirs, and I can assure anyone reading that were it not for the shoddy refund process, I too would have walked away (and may yet do despite of it) without RS getting any business from me at all.

The way they have treated customers is despicable, they hide under a stone, popping out occasionally to offer false hope and clearly misguided (to be polite) responses to peoples queries about lead times and missing orders - presumably in the hope of sitting on their hard earned cash for even longer.

The fact that they are sitting on so much money that belongs to those potential customers only increases the frustration felt by those it belonged to some 4 months ago (Wiggis and I included).
I have said this before, but will reiterate, it seems eminently possible that RS have actually contravened some trading regulations in doing what they have done and I'm surprised that nobody has challenged them on this front.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has experience of the laws and rules of trading regarding this seemingly odd practice of taking monies from customers when you clearly can't honour the orders, failing to respond on the whole to queries regarding the order process, delaying the refund of monies to those who decide to cancel by what would seem an unreasonable length of time, and the perpetual silence that surrounds the whole process when one would assume a responsible and customer focussed organisation should be updating customers and making a loud and clear apology to those who have the determination and belief to keep hanging on.

Unfotunately both RS and the Foundation (though it is I believe beyond their control) will be suffering a dip in reputation which is unhealthy for both.

Pi-Scan

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

There is accually one right question to RS.

When will you receive the new batch of chips?

dumbfounded

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm

James noone said it was the foundation's fault and furthermore there's no need for you to be an RS apologist - you make it sound like they're the victims.

I sure wish I had set myself up a website claiming to be able to take orders for a Pi and absconded with the money.There's probably a name for that kind of behaviour. Yes I could probably cancel but having waited since june what is the point?

RS seriously if you can't do it just fess up and give the money back don't horde the ill gotten gains and give us that next month rubbish because frankly I would be amazed if it ever turns up. It's all gone quiet again and we all know that means there's no chance of them meeting even their delayed shipping dates.

Come on RS do what you said you would do and I will come back on here and apologise profusely.

sgegreen

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm

It will be interesting to hear reports from Maplin RPi buyers as to which card version they receive and when, it might indicate whether their supplies were from RS or Farnell...

kamac495

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 pm

I've just made an order by RS, but I spotted this thread now... Should I cancel my order on RS and switch to Farnell :(? Would I get a money refund that way?

... Or shall I wait?
My site
http://www.motionstruct.com

cjthebrave

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm

dumbfounded wrote:Come on RS do what you said you would do and I will come back on here and apologise profusely.
Please dont hold your breath dumbfounded it just aint worth it :D
I think we all appreciate the frustration here, and clearly shouting at RS normally fails to get any response - I wonder if the organisations heirarchy (RS that is) actually know how bad the feeling is out here regarding the perception of their company in the big wide world.
I wouldn't mind betting a few seats of pants would get a damn good kicking (or have had aleady) if the whole truth and a few URL's were to magically appear on their desk . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . now where did I put that pen :twisted:

wiggis

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 pm

The CEO is a gentleman named Ian Mason. He runs the parent company of RS / Allied.

He can be seen talking about "doing the right thing" here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11553093

I believe an email to [[Mod edit - please don't post people's email addresses here without permission]] would do the trick.

Personally, I'd had enough of RS for a lifetime.

cjthebrave

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 pm

wiggis wrote:I believe an email to ian.mason@electrocomponents.com would do the trick.
I love your style wiggis, if thats the right address I can't wait to see how long it takes the sneaky RS crew to request it's removal. Get it in your address books quick for when they do :D

Watched the "do the right thing" video - laughable - I wonder how long it is since he paid for something and then waited for 4 months, being fed either a long line of excuses about it's failure to appear, or simply being ignored, without kicking off?

Obviously, if his almost biblical "Do onto others as you would like done onto you" approach is to be believed, this must be the way he handles his purchases on a day to day basis . . . . . . . or . . . . . . . its just another load of lies from RS, simply saying what they think the customer wants to hear (when they actually say anything at all).

OR . . . . . . . perhaps he simply doesn't know his own comany's trading practices as well as he thinks he does . . . . . . . . one never knows!!

wiggis

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 pm

kamac495 wrote:I've just made an order by RS, but I spotted this thread now... Should I cancel my order on RS and switch to Farnell :(? Would I get a money refund that way?

... Or shall I wait?
It's your call obviously, but why would you wait 3+ weeks when other places have it in stock ready to ship?

See : http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail. ... aspberryPI

You can cancel anytime prior to shipping and get your money back (as far as I recall).

Pi-Scan

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 pm

I just cancelled my order with RS. ( or atleast i sent them an email about it)

Ordered with "New IT"
Payed with paypal but no confirmation yet.... Not even an automated email.

Is this normal?

Pi-Scan

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 pm

My fault. Got and email but went in my spam box...

irishgypsy

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 am

I too cancelled my order in June. I have 3 emails, June, July and August stating that my credit card refund will be processed immediately. Still waiting...

scrutz

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:47 am

Just a quick update from yesterday;

I now have a confirmation email from RS that my order has been cancelled.

Just had a text from my Girlfriend letting me now that a package from CPC has arrived. :D

Any of you continuing with your RS orders, good luck and I'll see you outside the shipping forum in a couple of months.

Toirtín Súcraobh

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 am

wiggis wrote:James

I think most of us accept your point that this is not a foundation issue.

That said, what has been most annoying about RS is not their lack of forward planning (bad though that has been), but their complete and abject lack of communication, and the fact that they blatantly 'lost' roughly 10,000 orders in their systems, and as a result have been fulfilling orders 'out of sequence'. They knew about my interest in March 2012 and of my order in June 2012 and yet they still managed to screw it up. People will happily form an orderly queue, right up until the point that they see other much shorter queues, or worse people jumping the queue that they have been stood in for months on end - either accidentally, or by design.

What I and I think others would like the foundation to do is for it to register with RS (at high levels in their organisation) that their lack of communication and general shoddiness in their handling of these orders is tarnishing their own reputation, and by reflection that of the Raspberry Pi brand.

Now damage to the brand is something that the foundation should take seriously.

Thank you.
This is exactly the problem, well said. I have just e-mailed RS again about my missing order. The Foundation would do well to listen to the frustration of their customers. It's a Raspberry Pi I ordered, not an RS Pi. We would really like to know that the Foundation is at least calling RS to account over this fiasco. We were really excited about the Raspberry Pi when we first heard about it, but the long wait first to even "express an interest" in ordering, then the long gap until we were "invited" to order and now the disaster that is delivery has completely taken the gloss off our excitement.

In the meantime, we see others who have ordered multiple Pi's receiving them, we see people flogging them on E-bay and we see them being offered by other sellers. I don't understand. When I first went to order there were only two companies that were processing orders. Nobody could order more than 1 board. As I see it, it was and still is in the Foundation's interest to ensure that those who supported the project from the beginning and complied with the Foundations rules and restrictions on ordering should be served before others. I find it hard to believe that the Foundation has no leverage with RS.
I am a Raspberry Pi Foundation customer, and a disappointed and disgruntled one. RS are merely their agents, so my frustration is with both.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 am

Well, for a bunch of people agreeing that the delivery is not a Foundation problem, you do seem to write a lot about delivery on the Foundations website....;-)

My reply above was aimed at some people who were having a go at the Foundation - that's what I was answering to. And I certainly wasn't apologising about RS -they made the decision, it's their problem.

And as to those say the Foundation really should be talking to RS about the brand damage. Which do you think is more likely...

1) Foundation see all the RS problems, then completely ignores them and doesn't do anything
2) Foundation see all the RS problems and talks to them all the time to see what can be done.

(Hint: it's number 2)

On the whole, this whole situation isn't great, the Foundation is doing as much as it can to sort stuff out, but they don't run RS and can only make recommendations. RS can choose to ignore whatever advice they get.

My advice? Well, guess.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

dumbfounded wrote:James noone said it was the foundation's fault and furthermore there's no need for you to be an RS apologist - you make it sound like they're the victims.

I sure wish I had set myself up a website claiming to be able to take orders for a Pi and absconded with the money.There's probably a name for that kind of behaviour. Yes I could probably cancel but having waited since june what is the point?

RS seriously if you can't do it just fess up and give the money back don't horde the ill gotten gains and give us that next month rubbish because frankly I would be amazed if it ever turns up. It's all gone quiet again and we all know that means there's no chance of them meeting even their delayed shipping dates.

Come on RS do what you said you would do and I will come back on here and apologise profusely.
Have RS actually taken money? Or do they charge on dispatch as they should do in the EU?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

dumbfounded

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am

It's so long since i ordered I might be mistaken but I'm fairly sure they took the money at the time of ordering like it says they do on their website.

I note the recent update thread with interest, but will believe it when I see it.

Toirtín Súcraobh

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am

[

Yes, RS charged my credit card on June 22, the day I placed my order.

It's a bit disingenuous for you to say just order it somewhere else, tbh. If RS communicated honestly with us and gave us a truthful and realistic estimate of shipping date, maybe we'd be in a position to do as you advise. If RS hadn't already charged our credit cards, maybe we'd be in a position to take our business elsewhere. Many of us are between a rock and a hard place. I believed RS when my Pi didn't turn up after the requisite 10 weeks and they said it would definitely be shipped by the end of September. I presumed (perhaps wrongly) that my order, along with the others in the batch, would be a priority for RS (and for the Foundation) to sort out. I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I thought the Foundation would put the pressure on them to sort it out. Clearly I was wrong on both accounts!
I'm not giving the Foundation a free ride here, by the way. I think the buck stops with the Foundation. The fact that their agents RS have screwed up so royally here reflects as poorly on the Foundation as much as on RS, unfortunately.

I will hang on for RS to deliver my Pi, but my view of both RS and the Foundation has suffered by the lack of ability of both to manage this situation and resolve it adequately and quickly.

numanoids

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 am

I'm afraid I can't help but agree that the Foundation could at least notify customers of RS of any discussions or information that they have managed to glean from RS senior management. If that results in a distancing from RS as a supplier then so be it.

RS are certainly to blame in the first instance - they took cash from all of us and have yet to supply the goods despite plenty of other sites apparently being able to - whether this is an error on their part, I don't particularly care, I ordered an item, money was accepted for said item therefore a contract of sale has been formed and RS are now entirely in breach of said contract by failing to provide the goods, at the very least they should be contacting those customers to offer them a refund or at least refunding their money until the stock comes in and then asking to charge again once that stock has been allocated. (i'm sure plenty will say they don't need to or that they order based on how many orders received etc etc but considering the waiting times I'm pretty sure they'll sell whatever stock they finally get their hands on).

I'm pretty sure RS would be found to be in breach of a few other UK (and possibly UK) trading laws as a result of this, too.

Dweeber

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:34 am

Toirtín Súcraobh wrote:I will hang on for RS to deliver my Pi, but my view of both RS and the Foundation has suffered by the lack of ability of both to manage this situation and resolve it adequately and quickly.
??

I clearly don't get this at all.

As soon as I found out there was an alternative source for the same product I would not hesitate to cancel and order from the other source.

I see no point in continuing to wait for a product from a company that clearly doesn't have a handle on what they are doing. And I certainly would not be giving the Foundation a hard time because one of their distributors screwed up especially when I could get a Pi in the hand in a matter of days.

Simple supply and demand issue...

I'd rather be playing than complaining...
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Pi-Scan

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

Well, if we had decided to cancel our order sooner, we would now own a version 1 board in stead of a rev.2 board.

Toirtín Súcraobh

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Dweeber wrote:
Toirtín Súcraobh wrote:I will hang on for RS to deliver my Pi, but my view of both RS and the Foundation has suffered by the lack of ability of both to manage this situation and resolve it adequately and quickly.
??

I clearly don't get this at all.

As soon as I found out there was an alternative source for the same product I would not hesitate to cancel and order from the other source.

I see no point in continuing to wait for a product from a company that clearly doesn't have a handle on what they are doing. And I certainly would not be giving the Foundation a hard time because one of their distributors screwed up especially when I could get a Pi in the hand in a matter of days.

Simple supply and demand issue...

I'd rather be playing than complaining...
Good for you if you're able to afford to order the Pi from multiple sources. Some of us can't.

And as I said, the buck stops with the Foundation and they need to be able to manage their agents better. Why couldn't they insist that RS pass some of their orders on to Farnell for instance, to take some of the pressure off RS's inability to manage their order list? Have they no clout in this at all?

Dweeber

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Pi-Scan wrote:Well, if we had decided to cancel our order sooner, we would now own a version 1 board in stead of a rev.2 board.
1) When you ordered your board how many weeks ago now, there were no Rev2's.
On top of that, You have NO assurance you will get Rev2 from RS or that you will actually get a unit anytime soon either. Their track record is pretty clear on that.

2) Both of mine are Rev1... One is a an ECN0002 the other an ECN0003
In the States Farnell is not shipping Rev2 boards yet. They are ECN0003's.

While I could use a Rev2 for another project (has a mounting hole), it isn't enough to wait for one for anything else I am doing.

However, if you are ordering from Farnell in the UK, you get both a Made in UK and a Rev2 board with assurance you will actually get it.

Playing vs Waiting is much more fun.
Last edited by Dweeber on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

snomis

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Success at last - Order number 82*** ordered June 20

email received from RS today - ORDER DISPATCHED

Hopefully this will be a light at the end of the tunnel for everyone thats been waiting so long.. :D

Return to “General discussion”