KeithSloan

Basic wiki on Pi - No SQL

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Is there some light weight wiki software that is available for Raspberry Pi WITHOUT having to use SQL?

DougieLawson

Re: Basic wiki on Pi - No SQL

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Uncle Google is your friend. That took me less than a minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DokuWiki
http://superuser.com/questions/472252/d ... spberry-pi
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 pm

KeithSloan wrote:Is there some light weight wiki software that is available for Raspberry Pi WITHOUT having to use SQL?
Ummm...Why the objection to SQL?

KeithSloan

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:47 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
KeithSloan wrote:Is there some light weight wiki software that is available for Raspberry Pi WITHOUT having to use SQL?
Because SQL is over engineering for the sort of wiki I need.
SQL is not fast on the Pi
It add complications
makes backup and recovery more complicated

nr.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 pm

I use Dokuwiki in a few instances - it's pretty cool. Reasonably lightweight if you use lighttpd rather than apache, and well supported. Well worth a look.
--
nr.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:20 pm

KeithSloan wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Because SQL is over engineering for the sort of wiki I need.
SQL is not fast on the Pi
It add complications
Shrug.... Okay. I doubt that it's SQL itself that is too slow and complex (I actually do run MySQL on a Pi with no problems), and I can understand that a general language may be overkill for a specific application. I was just curious as to the reason.

scruss

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:20 am

KeithSloan wrote:SQL is not fast on the Pi
It add complications
SQLite can be screamingly fast on a Raspberry Pi. The database is just a binary file which is easily backed up. No server required.

If you're looking for small, there's always TiddlyWiki
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

KeithSloan

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am

scruss wrote:
KeithSloan wrote:SQL is not fast on the Pi
It add complications
SQLite can be screamingly fast on a Raspberry Pi. The database is just a binary file which is easily backed up. No server required.

If you're looking for small, there's always TiddlyWiki
I tried SQLite when I tried OwnCloud on the Pi. Did not have a good experience and found MySQL was better. Maybe a default SQLite needed some tweaks for OwnCloud but life is too short. I just don't like adding extra layers of software when not needed as always adds inefficiencies in my experience that comes from 40 years working in IT.

ilguargua

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:10 pm

MoinMoin should work for you, written in python and use no sql or other db at all.

Cheers, Ale

nobbit

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm entirely with you on the "don't add it if you don't need it" side of things; one more component is just one more thing that can crash.

DokuWiki is nice. I run a few instances of it (not on a RasPi, but it's not very demanding so it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a large number of active users). Only good things to say so far.

scruss

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:56 pm

KeithSloan wrote:I tried SQLite when I tried OwnCloud on the Pi. Did not have a good experience and found MySQL was better. Maybe a default SQLite needed some tweaks for OwnCloud but life is too short. I just don't like adding extra layers of software when not needed as always adds inefficiencies in my experience that comes from 40 years working in IT.
I think something must've been set up wrongly, as MySQL is a great big lumbering thing compared to SQLite. SQLite runs on phones and embedded systems.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

riklaunim

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:34 am

scruss wrote:I think something must've been set up wrongly, as MySQL is a great big lumbering thing compared to SQLite. SQLite runs on phones and embedded systems.
Maybe the SD card had bad random I/O performance or other processes were doing I/O or CPU work. That would slow down SQLite a lot.

Return to “General discussion”