Osurne

Pi and Mathematica`

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:04 am

As we all know (I hope anyways) Wolfram Alpha is a great piece of of the internet for most college students because if you have a subscription it will provide you with step by step solutions to problems of all sorts. I read that a pi Came with Mathematica for free with the NOOBS package. Which is freaking awesome, but what is the cheapest way a college student could come out with a fully functional decent encased pi that can use Mathematica?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pi and Mathematica`

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:21 am

http://www.raspberrypi.org/the-wolfram- ... i-for-free

http://www.raspberrypi.org/mathematica-10

Actually it is included in Raspbian Wheezy and it is not alpha AFAIAA

Regards cost I bought a RPi B+, Case, USB Keyboard & Mouse, 8GB SD Card and WiFi Dongle for around £65.00 with careful shopping........
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

AndrewS

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:51 am

Of course you may already have a USB keyboard and mouse you can re-use with the Pi. Or you could run the Pi 'headless' ;)

And more Mathematica resources can be found here.

ejolson

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:52 pm

RobertSmith13 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:10 pm
Yes, but not fully. There are some Mathematica application features (certain Add-Ons, Links, and other components) that can go for free.
Welcome to the forum! In case you didn't notice, the post you found and replied to is 6 years old. Also, it appears you may have added a spam link when you quoted it. At the same time, the original question is a valid one.

Mathematica is a fantastic program that generally costs much more than a complete Pi setup. Now with the 4GB version of the 4B, it runs really well.

Note, however, that running the computer algebra system called Mathematica on the Raspberry Pi is different than looking up answers to homework questions using Wolfram Alpha online. In fact, it's a whole programming language in which algebraic expressions are primative data types that can be manipulated using a wide variety of built-in functions that perform things like integration, plotting, polynomial root finding, substitution and differentiation among others.

Again welcome! If you are not yourself a spam robot, you may want to check your computer for viruses that are.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Poster was a spammer so banned.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”