JeroenDNR

Raspberry Pi B+, is it up for the task?

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:30 am

Dear all,

I am new to these forums.

My company is looking for a small embedded PC that is able to monitor 1 blinking LED and 2 triggers.
The triggers must be monitored on the fly. Meaning as soon as 1 of the triggers is on, an alert must pop out within a seconde.
The monitoring of the blinking light is to see if the status of a unit is good or bad. We don't want streaming because of the data usage. We will make a screenshot every few minutes and then do image processing. The system must be able to run on Unbuntu. We will use remote monitoring through a webportal.

The system will have 1x USB in use for the camera, 1x door trigger, 1x led status trigger, 1x wireless dongle to have it connected too internet. It will run have to run on Unbuntu.

Now we already purchased another embedded PC called the Nano PC T1 from FriendlyArm.
Sadly this embedded PC is not up for the task. The system is very unstable, and it's slow. Takes around 30sec to load up the monitoring page etc.

Now my question is, will the Rapsberry Pi B+ be able to match our requirements?

Kind Regards
Jeroen

Jessie

Re: Raspberry Pi B+, is it up for the task?

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 am

The Pi doesn't run Ubuntu.

ame

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:28 am

Your system sounds like it is very poorly designed. You should start from basic requirements, not from "I'm going to need WiFi and a webcam".

JeroenDNR

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 am

ame wrote:Your system sounds like it is very poorly designed. You should start from basic requirements, not from "I'm going to need WiFi and a webcam".
So how you suggest I start?

I know my requirements that I need, but that is about it.
What you mean with starting at the basics?

I am just looking for an embedded system (small factor size) that is capable of supporting wifi and an external usb camera + 2 triggers.

Enlight yourself

JeroenDNR

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:57 am

Jessie wrote:The Pi doesn't run Ubuntu.
Thanks for the fast response. I have to look for another embedded PC then...

ame

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:00 am

Ok, you wrote "My company is looking for a small embedded PC that is able to monitor 1 blinking LED and 2 triggers."

That's easy.

Then you talked about streaming, cameras and screenshots, without describing what they were for or why they were necessary.

So, instead, please describe what you want your system to do. Then people can suggest how to do it on the Pi. Or maybe they will say it's not possible, and why.

JeroenDNR

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 am

ame wrote:Ok, you wrote "My company is looking for a small embedded PC that is able to monitor 1 blinking LED and 2 triggers."

That's easy.

Then you talked about streaming, cameras and screenshots, without describing what they were for or why they were necessary.

So, instead, please describe what you want your system to do. Then people can suggest how to do it on the Pi. Or maybe they will say it's not possible, and why.
The embedded PC:
- It needs to monitor 1 led light (green blinking led means the battery life of the device we are monitoring is in good status, if the led turns to red then there must be an alert saying that the status = bad)
- The device with the led that we need to monitor is in a panel. This panel has a door sensor, as soon as the door opens, this must alert with status= door open.
- It needs to be connected to the internet (not wired), so we can do monitoring from a webportal.
- Optional function = streaming (not required)

I asked if The Raspberry Pi supported Unbuntu, because we have another project were we have a mini PC (it is to big for this project), that is connected through the internet by using a dongle and has 2 camera's connected to monitor a mass volume.
Would be easier for our software developers if we could just use this software as the base.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 am

I am far from a Linux expert, but FYI, the Pi's recommended OS is a Pi version of Debian called Raspbian - probably not a million miles away from Ubuntu.
It would be a shame to discount the Pi just because of the OS requirements - are they so strict?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:22 am

JeroenDNR wrote: I asked if The Raspberry Pi supported Unbuntu, because we have another project were we have a mini PC (it is to big for this project), that is connected through the internet by using a dongle and has 2 camera's connected to monitor a mass volume.
Would be easier for our software developers if we could just use this software as the base.
Ubuntu is Debian with some fancy wrapping. Raspbian is Debian with lightweight software, such as for the GUI (which you shouldn't need) and such, and tuned for the Pi.

If your code will run on Ubuntu, you're probably just a re-compile away from running on a Pi.

Heater

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:31 am

This sounds backwards. I would never consider using Ubuntu for any product. Ubuntu is just Debian taken by Canonical and endlessly broken in interesting ways.

Better idea would be to switch your other developments over to Debian.

Either way it makes little difference. If you developers can build their code for Ubuntu they can build it for Debian/Raspian with little or no extra effort.

The Pi has a camera module so that web cam is not required. Might make a smaller more reliable system.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

RaTTuS

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:33 am

JeroenDNR wrote:..
- It needs to monitor 1 led light (green blinking led means the battery life of the device we are monitoring is in good status, if the led turns to red then there must be an alert saying that the status = bad)
- The device with the led that we need to monitor is in a panel. This panel has a door sensor, as soon as the door opens, this must alert with status= door open.
- It needs to be connected to the internet (not wired), so we can do monitoring from a webportal.
- Optional function = streaming (not required)

I asked if The Raspberry Pi supported Unbuntu, because we have another project were we have a mini PC (it is to big for this project), that is connected through the internet by using a dongle and has 2 camera's connected to monitor a mass volume.
yes the RPi can do this
can even stream with the RPi camera over wireless

an arduino can also do this [without the webcam bit]
whatever code will have to be re-compiled for the Rpi -
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Forrrge

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:35 am

I would say the RPi is easily capable of all that you have asked, take a look at the automation and sensing forum http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=37 there are way more complex projects going on, with some of the projects described there adaptable to your own.

There have also been projects which compare images, so the LED changes shouldn't be an issue, but maybe its possible to use some type of light sensitive switch instead ?

JeroenDNR

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:05 am

Wow lovely forum here. So many helpful replies.
I just got back from a customer site, that is the reason I reply so late.
I will forward the idea to my software developers, and ask them to look into Debian/Raspian.
It seems Debian/Raspian is a much lighter OS to run, which is exactly what we need.

Our old embedded PC (NanoPC T1) was running on Unbuntu, but was very slow. This can be a good reason for us to make the switch to the lighter/faster version a.k.a. Debian/Raspian.

@ Forrrge: I will look into that forum this weekend. I come back on everyone on Monday/Tuesday.

Everyone already have a nice weekend. Talk to you guys next week.

hippy

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 am

Monitoring a couple LEDs and a door sensor and responding in a timely manner would not appear to be onerous tasks. It is not clear why the NanoPC T1 wasn't up to the job as it seems a comparable offering to a Pi. If the T1 was too slow it would be worth identifying what the issues were as those might also be issues for a Pi.

pluggy

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

To all intents and purposes Rasbdian is Identical to Ubuntu at the command line level.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “General discussion”