Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 am

I"m going to name after parts of this website for my 5:
Error
establishing
a
database
connection

Note I could only get to page 2 of this thread, hope it"s original

Oh my original point was going to be my GF names all the devices in the house. So tablet is Adam (model name, bit odd saying I"m going to bed with Adam), the old desktop was called fudg (Fujitsu Siemens brand), latest computer is called DIY (as I built) and the very nice Sony Laptop she called "Mine".

HB

Re: what will you name your pis?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm

My naming convention is anime characters. Wherever practical, I try to pick a character who is fitting for either the nature of the hardware or its intended purpose. Half the time though I end up just picking the character I like most from something I've been watching recently...

For my Pi, I'll go with a character who's very small. Probably Midori.

maven

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Well, my laptop is named deathstar, and my android is mfalcon, so for the rpi I"m thinking r2d2

narcotic

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 pm

I use Simpsons characters… and you will almost never run out lol

paulie

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Just found this topic, and the earlier post about the random name generator.
Endless fun for anyone writing their own device drivers.
"hamject error on device 0x3f0a......"
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

andri

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Esperasp Pi

(from Esperanza Spalding)

ReCreate

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I always name all of my electronics RE_<number> (RE is my short name, or two letter identifier), starting at 0. Incrementing by 1 at each new device/computer. Appending a letter for each type. So RE_06S for a server, VS for virtual server, V for just virtual machine, T for TabletPC, L for laptop, etc, Though, Nothing for a regular desktop. As you can see, I'm not very creative. x3

davidgoodenough

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

maven said:

Well, my laptop is named deathstar, and my android is mfalcon, so for the rpi I"m thinking r2d2

My RepRap (3D printer) is called r2d2, because when the servo motors move the extrusion head around - especially when going around corners - they sing.  When I first notices this I called my wife in and she said "That's R2D2".

Luny

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I will call my Pi the same name I call all my computers.

'Bloody work, you bleeding b'stard. C'mon, that should compile, what is wrong with this thing.'

Luny

o19

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 pm

marvin

johnbeetem

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:18 pm

o19 said:

marvin

Great name!  "Here I am, GPU the size of a planet, and they ask me to emulate a VT100.  Call that job satisfaction, 'cause I don't."

MarshallBanana

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:33 pm

liz said:

We like the idea of bingly bingly bip boot sounds. Perhaps a boot sound competition once the logo competition is done would be a nice idea - anyone remember the Brian Eno Windows noise?

i think i'd like to have this t=34 sound at startup...

entering the grid now

hmmm, where to get that thingy to do a high quality recording....

as for naming my pi, i guess i'll go with something silly like CutiePi or PiFighter or MiniPi or the like...

psergiu

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I'll name mine xn--1xa

And when i get more of them:

xn--1-tmb

xn--2-tmb

and so on ...

Lynbarn

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 pm

MarshallBanana said:

liz said:

We like the idea of bingly bingly bip boot sounds. Perhaps a boot sound competition once the logo competition is done would be a nice idea – anyone remember the Brian Eno Windows noise?

No (although I've just reminded myself via Youtube!), but I"ve set my PC to say "Welcome!" and Goodbye!" when I boot and shutdown, in a voice not dissimilar to that of Joanna Lumley (any Englishman of around my age will know who I mean!) She also says "You have post" when email arrives. Courtesy of AOL UK. Very British.

Luny

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Lynbarn said:

No (although I"ve just reminded myself via Youtube!), but I"ve set my PC to say "Welcome!" and Goodbye!" when I boot and shutdown, in a voice not dissimilar to that of Joanna Lumley (any Englishman of around my age will know who I mean!) She also says "You have post" when email arrives. Courtesy of AOL UK. Very British.

That is a bit spooky, I was just watching an episode of Sapphire & Steel prior to reading this post...
Luny

FollowingGhosts

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Hmmmm, pretty fly for a raspi but I'm sure I've seen that around somewhere before so apologies to anyone if I stole it.

I think function is going to come first, my Desktop is called Beast and my netbook Akoya, then an old Windows tab which happens to be a Q1 Ultra is called Q1Ultra, inventive I know. Hmmmm RaspServ, ServPi, and if I have one next to my bed then it can be named SleepyPi. I am tempted to go for some obscure network naming system but at the same time, the effort of re-configuring printer shares and iTunes shares and network mounts would be less than fun.

mobeyduck

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Even tough i would probably consider Liz, Eben and Eden (as in Eden the perfect world)

I would probably call it some thing lame like nr1 raspberry1... especially the first 5 times I install it

Best name i can think of is "Pit" as in the pit of a fruit and in dutch theres the saying that some one/thing has pit, that its a strong feisty person/thing.

macemoneta

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:08 am

Buffy.  :)

n3tw0rk5

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:22 am

I'm calling the ones for home Bert & Ernie, as for the ones I have planned for work they will be called after my favourite t shirt designs.

One of the places where I used to work, named there servers after cartoon characters.

Nagase

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 am

Would it be wrong to name one thats dedicated to NES gaming the PiNes?

My Linux Flash drive is name PoNY because the drive is made by PNY

tawalker

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Most of our home network devices are named after characters in Tenchi Muyo! (it's a long story) - I usually try and choose hostnames with some kind of "nod" to where the characters resemble the device in some way. For example, my Eee 701SD netbook is "sasami" (small and cute), our nettop PC is "washu" (OK, the naming/characteristics thing fell down a bit there), and our Synology NAS box/home server is "tenchi" (centre of the household!).

Any fans of the series here, may guess what I'm planning to call my first RasPi: what else, but "ryo-ohki"? (Haven't decided whether to include the hyphen, for compatibility reasons, but it just reads better than "ryoohki" to me.)

Also, if I ended up buying a second RasPi, I think I'd have to call it "ken-ohki"...
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

HB

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 pm

tawalker said:

Also, if I ended up buying a second RasPi, I think I'd have to call it "ken-ohki"...
I was expecting "Fuku", actually. Well, I guess if you wind up with a third one...

tawalker

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 am

HB said:

tawalker said:

I was expecting "Fuku", actually. Well, I guess if you wind up with a third one...

I haven't seen the third Tenchi Muyo! OVA yet (nor any of the movies, nor GXP)... I just don't have the time these days!
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

ArborealSeer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am

MiPi?  MyPi? Berry?

Plus, I tend to call 'headless' machines Motoko (G.I.T.S fans will get that)
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

HB

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15 am

ArborealSeer said:

Plus, I tend to call 'headless' machines Motoko (G.I.T.S fans will get that)

I've always intended to use that if I ever put together a persistent USB thumbdrive install of Linux to take from computer to computer. Lately there's been no point to it though, since I've got more computers than I know what to do with and carry a laptop wherever I go.

Return to “General discussion”