Shish

Re: what will you name your pis?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:05 pm

As seen in the \"how will you use yours\" thread, I already have ideas for about 20 units - my main problem is coming up with names for them. So far my servers are named after flowers, desktops are tea puppies, and laptops after coffee kittens (see http://www.teapuppies.com/), but I\'m already running out of names from that set, and embedded PCs seems like a new category anyway...

My current thought is using names from My Little Pony, as there are hundreds of them, and it follows the pattern of \"TV shows that I should be too old for\" :P

How will you name yours?

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 pm

RFC1178 has some suggestions and guidelines.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1178

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:21 pm

All the computers on my home network are named after towns and villages in Leicestershire, foxton, oadby, wistow, blaby, thurnby......, One of my work networks uses the names of locations of white horses, uffington, cherhill....., One of the other work networks uses the names of places i\'ve lived and worked, Surbiton, Reigate, Southend, Guernsey.... and others are just named whatever i think of at the time e.g. my Olivetti M15 is called Harriett, Tandy M100 is called Claire, Ultrasparc 5 is called Pam.... hmmmm i think i see a pattern here

obarthelemy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 pm

I guess I lose karma points for using descriptive names.. my current computers are serveurITX, miniITX and HPmini... (I\'m into small stuff these days) I didn\'t even name my first ZX81... The Pis will probably be numbered, or by function, I\'m planing on one to replace the (NAS, Torrent, Web) server, and another to mess with or maybe take over my nettop\'s second screen (though having to use 2 keyboards is a pain).

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

At present I don\'t have a coherent naming system for any of my computers. However, I liked ukscones \"Leicestershire towns & villages\" scheme, so my adaptation of that will probably be locks/flights of locks on the Shropshire Union canal, starting at Ellesmere Port.

Lesseeee.....
Whitby, Dee, Northgate, Hoole Lane, Chemistry, Tarvin Road, Greenfield, Christleton, Wharton, Beeston Iron, Beeston Stone, Tilstone, Bunbury.... And thats just the Broad Gauge locks....

8-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

hippy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:22 pm

I\'m with obarthelemy - descriptive names; what they are or do or where they are physically located. Where there are multiple computers in one place I have a coloured sticker on them and add the colour to the name.

UpstairsPc, DesktopPC, CompanyLaptop, DigitalPictureFrame and the first Pi is likely to be PiBehindTheTv :-)

Chris

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Dasher,Dancer,Prancer,Vixen,Comet,Cupid,Donner ,Blitzen with the main one being Rudolph

tonygo2

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Mine will be Mighty Midget.

abishur

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

The last placed I worked at used Norse gods and planes of existence (Midgar, Valhalla, etc), one placed used the moons of Jupiter (it has 63), on used Greek/Roman gods (same people different names for redundant systems), and my personal favorite, one place actually named them according to what they did. A lot less clever but man was it actually easy to support.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I will name him George and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him ... and pat him and pat him ... and love him and caress him...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on September 26, 2011, 19:54
and my personal favorite, one place actually named them according to what they did. A lot less clever but man was it actually easy to support.[/quote]

I am/was in charge of naming systems on most networks I was/am involved with and when you have multiple systems all serving the same purpose in various locations it\'s easier to go say \"go reboot uffington\" than say \"go reboot the the 5th xmpp server in rack 3 in the trader\'s floor closet\"
We also supply/ied new hires a spreadsheet/printout of name, server type, location and stuck/stick it on the office wall too.

Also i\'m kinda old school (as you all know) and that\'s the way it was always done
wheaties.ai.mit.edu anyone?

Andre_P

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm

For those who do not understand where jamesh is coming from look up
Bugs Bunny and the Abominable Snow Rabbit of course any reference to literature will be purely accidental !

Shish

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

[quote]one place actually named them according to what they did. A lot less clever but man was it actually easy to support.[/quote]
As per the RFC, what happens if one server has two functions, or the purpose changes? :S

I\'ve generally gone with unique names for every box, and then a DNS alias for each service - so marigold is normally accessed via the name \'shell\' or \'web\'; sunflower is normally known as \'db1\', \'dns\'; etc -- that seems to be the best of all worlds, combining uniqueness, descriptiveness, and flexibility :3

Jongoleur

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I just thought.

Is anyone out there named Dave?

Please name your Pi \"HAL\"

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Jongoleur

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Sorry

I don\'t know what came over me just then. :o

Tide

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Settled on picking names from the Dream of the Red Chamber where the desktop machines are named after female members of the Jia family, the Jinling beauties: Daiyu, Baochai, Miaoyu, Tanchun and Yingchun. Portable machines get named after handmaidens: Xiren, Quingwen and Sheyue which makes them easy to distinguish.
ARM machines however, being in a league of there own, are named after masters: Zhe and Paoyu so far. For the Pi I think Lan would the obvious choice as he\'s the son of Paoyu\'s elder brother Zhu (the ARM11 preceding Paoyu\'s Cortex A-8) and goes on to do really well in the Imperial Exams, so a nod to the the Rasp\'s educational target group.
Portables haven\'t been much of an issue here but to keep with the convention I decided using the page boys when naming my phone (Mingyan). Alternatively I could resort to dividing between members of the Rongguo and the Nungguo household. In any case I\'m not going to run out of names anytime soon as there are 30 main characters in the novel and 400(ish) minor ones. Or so they say, haven\'t counted them myself!

MDC

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:09 pm

What about naming them after Teletubbies or members of the bash street kids.

Either that or name them all after as many different profanities you can name.

MDC

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 pm

What about naming them after members of different popular science fiction programmes, like star trek or star wars.

Or name them after all the actors who played doctor who or James Bond.

1:William Hartnell 2:Patrick Troughton 3:Jon Pertwee 4:Tom Baker 5:Peter Davison 6:Colin Baker 7:Sylvester McCoy 8:Paul McGann 9:Christopher Eccleston 10:David Tennant 11:Matt Smith

1.sean connery
2.george lazenby
3.roger moore
4.timothy dalton
5.pierce brosnan
6.daniel craig

emercer

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 am

Here at home all computers are named after characters in the Back to the Future trilogy: DocBrown, McFly, DeLorean (don\'t. the De Lorean IS. A. CHARACTER!) etc.

Back at my cybercafe all computers used to be named after angels: Metatron, Gabriel, Daniel, Uriel etc.

Maybe I\'ll name my RasPis with several different words for raspberries: framboesa (my original idea, since I\'m Brazilian), lampone, hallon, malina, himbeere, ahududu, gerd etc.

abishur

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 am

[quote]Quote from Shish on September 26, 2011, 21:28
[quote]one place actually named them according to what they did. A lot less clever but man was it actually easy to support.[/quote]
As per the RFC, what happens if one server has two functions, or the purpose changes? :S
[/quote]

We used linux and VMware to do our servers, on the few instances where we needed a windows box it was for a specific function. As such there\'s really not an instance where we needed to repurpose a machine, either we were completely done with the machine and deleted it off the computer, or we could just add a new machine.

@UK, eh, I can\'t argue preferences :P for me since I was using VMs I never had to physically go to a machine, I could always remote into the VM server itself and then manage the VMs on the machine.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lob0426

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 am

I usually name by function, but after reading this thread, I think I will go semi military. Lobo stands for Wolf. Wolf 0 = pack leader. The rest will be Wolf 1, Wolf 2 etc..
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

scologic

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:46 am

being on the blackadder it usualy ends up as baldrik , edmund, etc etc..

Otto

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 am

[quote]Quote from emercer on September 27, 2011, 02:42

Maybe I\'ll name my RasPis with several different words for raspberries: framboesa (my original idea, since I\'m Brazilian), lampone, hallon, malina, himbeere, ahududu, gerd etc.[/quote]

I like this idea.

Now what should I name my first one, frambuesa or hallon.....

Archangel5089

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:19 am

I like mine to have a quirk and they are usually named after Ai from games or books from back in the day, I might start on ship names from Ian M Banks novels. \"Not Invented Here\" or \"The Ends Of Invention\" might work but the first would be \"Size Isn\'t Everything\" :)

Jongoleur

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am

@ Archangel5089:

\"Think of the Children\"

*nods*

Wasn\'t there one called \"What are the Civilian Applications\"? \"Excession\" is a rich seam to be mined for names....

Return to “General discussion”