adetheprince

Openpctv Raspberry Pi SD Card

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:23 am

Hello there first of all i am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but beleive it or not i have used the search and even 5 to 10 pages google search but didnt get any answer so finally i decide to register here and see if i can get help,
My issue is the OpenPCTV that i have download it from here. http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpct ... spberrypi/ its promised to work out of the box and i have also tested the x86 version that can be found on the same site which is usb and it worked with my PC, but no lack with my Raspberry PI since it never shows any tutorial that a noob like me can follow.
Now the issue is the readme.txt or the how to was only for x86 pcs not ARMs no raspberry's nothing , and as i said i have no clue in linux so searching on google brings me this website http://www.shumeipai.net/thread-19937-1-1.html , some members are saying it works but the site and tutorial is in chinese, using google translate didnt help but i manage to follow until i got so many errors :D .
Can anyone who have knowledge of how to make an sdcard bootable using these files i downloaded help us to make one ?a good step by step of what we need to do, or at least what programs for noobs to make sdcard from tar.bz2 please ?
I have tested win32diskmanager,lili usb creator,7zip,etc, all that usually works with the raspbian or any Rpi images are working but not this. :? I have changed the extension to zip,img,iso,rar but no lack. just error after error,i also copy all files and folder but syslink errors+many more i dont know what are they.
There is a file called make-sdcard, i am sure this is what i need to make it bootable but how?.
Please Help.

adetheprince

Re: Openpctv Raspberry Pi SD Card

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 pm

So far so good!!
I have just uploaded the entire Folder/Files with 7zip to the SDCard, and copied all files in boot folder to the main directory, the system boots with HDMI connetced but with lots of text and erros :x ( I guess i need to learn about symbolic link? )
I hope some test this as OpenPCTV for other board like the Cubieboard are working and have lots of support, I am surprised Raspberry PI dont have any info on this great App.

ghans

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 am

I think most people use RasmBMC together with other
applications instead. You also might be able to recreate
OpenPCTV directly from source (on top of Raspbian).

In short : If nobody from the OpenPCTV team steps up to make
an image specially for the Pi (i don't see why they they should)
you will have to do lots of work. People here seem to prefer
the existing XBMC distros , so you won't get that much advice
on porting OpenPCTV either.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

adetheprince

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 am

ghans wrote:I think most people use RasmBMC together with other
applications instead. You also might be able to recreate
OpenPCTV directly from source (on top of Raspbian).

In short : If nobody from the OpenPCTV steps up to make an
image specially for the Pi (i don't see why they they should)
you will have to do lots of work. People here seem to prefer
the existing XBMC distros , so you won't get that much advice
on porting OpenPCTV either.

ghans
Thanks ghans fro your reply but indeed this image i downloaded is for Raspberry Pi. But the writing to the SDcard is the main problem for noobs.
You said i can recreate it any easy steps i can follow please ?
XBMC and Enigma are different, Enigam boxes are sold 200.00 Pounds like Dreambox but xbmc are cheaper to get like the android MX for 40.00 pounds. now if raspberry do what enigma boxes does it is a big bonus for me since i travel a lot and this little board will be useful. :lol:
Thanks again for your quick reply and am sorry to ask a lot but i want to make a use of my RPi and hopefully i will succeed.

adetheprince

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Ok here is the only tutorial is found on the net for OpenPCTV on Raspberry PI. Its google translate from Chinese to English.
Can anyone please explain how a step by step.
I tried but got just script showing on the terminal that everything went OK but the card is empty :cry:
Is this correct ? after this progress do i need to upload all the files on the zip to the SDCard?

Installation and Use
Please download the two files at the bottom of the link: make-sdcard and openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2, will you prepared SD card reader into your computer and into the Linux system (not yet released the direct use dd to write into the image)
chmod 755 make-sdcard # make your scripts have executable permissions
./make-sdcard / dev / sdb openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2 # If your card reader device is / dev / sdb, then, after the prompts.
Plug raspberry pi, plug in all the peripherals, power!

Here is what i did..

1- Download those 2 files ( openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2 and make-sdcard ) from my ubuntu machine and save them on the Folder called Openpctv ( on the Desktop )
2- Insert a clean Fat32 SD Card ( wiped all and reformatted to fat32 ).
3- Opened terminal and typed : cd .home/ubuntu/Desktop/Openpctv ( then once i was there i typed chmod 755 make-sdcard ) all ok and permission is changed.
4- ./make-sdcard / home / ubuntu / media / sdb openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2 ( i got a bunch of text saying the default machine for this will be Raspberry PI and others names of many boards.( and thats it, in less then 1 second )
Nothing uploaded to the SDCard just still plain empty like before so what next.?

propagandhi

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 am

Format the SD card to Fat32.
Untar openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2.
Copy the openpctv.iso files to the SD card.
Then make the SD card bootable. (I suspect that the make-sdcard file might do that.)
A bash script can make the SD card a linux bootable disk.
Maybe something like:
mkdir /tmp/iso
mount -o loop/where/is/you/openpctv-.iso /tmp/iso
cp -a /tmp/iso/ /media/usb
cd /media/usb
bash bootinst.sh

EDIT: If you are on Ubuntu, you could use "USB Startup Disk Creator."
Because it keeps on working, don't make it right.

adetheprince

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:45 pm

propagandhi wrote:Format the SD card to Fat32.
Untar openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2.
Copy the openpctv.iso files to the SD card.
Then make the SD card bootable. (I suspect that the make-sdcard file might do that.)
A bash script can make the SD card a linux bootable disk.
Maybe something like:
mkdir /tmp/iso
mount -o loop/where/is/you/openpctv-.iso /tmp/iso
cp -a /tmp/iso/ /media/usb
cd /media/usb
bash bootinst.sh

EDIT: If you are on Ubuntu, you could use "USB Startup Disk Creator."
Hi propagandhi

Many thanks for your howto, But!! Still no joy.

You said untar the openpctv-devel-20140101.raspberrypi.tar.bz2 thats done, then Copy the openpctv.iso files to the SD card, Here where i am going wrong, there are no iso files in there, I only see lots of folders and 1 file (config ) i believe these folder are the OS Files/Folders, but its not a single iso file like other Raspberry PI distro.
Here are the names:

bin
boot
dev
etc
firmware
lib
media
mnt
proc
root
run
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var
video
config

Now i have copied all these folders/files to the SD Card then used the make-sdcard to make it bootable using the first tutorial but it didnt work, not booting anything. I even extracted the tar file to test folder ,then used powerISO to make it into iso called it openpctv.iso and copied that iso to the sd and used make-sdcard but no lack.

so I am now trying the other method you mentioned using bash bootinst.sh, But i believe this is the same tutorial as for x86 machines not arm, as stated on the FS website, so there is no bootinst.sh on this iso or the tar. Do I need to create one? If so what should i write in there?

Finally i am going to test USB Startup Disk Creator, If this work then i salute you my friend. :D
Thanks.

adetheprince

Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:25 am

Ok i have tested many of the programs mentioned on how to create a bootable USB/SD but none of them worked.
If any one knows an easy way to create the bootable, Help me please.
So far i have tested these:

1 - WinDiskImager
2 - USB Startup Disk Creator
3 - Fedora ARM Installer
And many other :?

propagandhi

Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:09 am

Grab the openpctv image file from here.

Unzip this file.

Launch WinDiskImager.

Use the browse button to browse to the location of the .img file.

Insert a SD Card and select its drive letter.

Click the Write button and the image will be written to the SD Card.

You should see a "Write Successful" message.
Because it keeps on working, don't make it right.

adetheprince

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 am

propagandhi wrote:Grab the openpctv image file from here.

Unzip this file.

Launch WinDiskImager.

Use the browse button to browse to the location of the .img file.

Insert a SD Card and select its drive letter.

Click the Write button and the image will be written to the SD Card.

You should see a "Write Successful" message.
Wooow finally this img worked as its the right img file not iso/ tar/bz2 etc.
But the one you post it here does not include Enigma or VDR. its just a plain XBMC.
The main reason i wanted this Openpctv for Raspberry Pi is for Enigma OS.
Thanks for your help and yes WinDiskImager did the job nicely as i knew i was playing with the wrong file that is not released for DD/WinDiskImager/etc.
Now we all have to wait until the full version img is released since this one dont even have an option to install or run like the x86 i tested with my PC, it have everything and fully loaded, even the top downloaded one for Raspberry PI i tested with Virtual Box and it have Enigma and fully working but WinDiskImager wont work on this version :? .
Can you anyone take the tar and converted to img then make it work?. :cry:

JulianXhokaxhiu

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 am

It's just more simpler than you may think.

Download both the latest image (.tar.bz2) file of OpenPCTV and make-sdcard in the same directory then:

- chmod 755 make-sdcard
- ./make-sdcard /dev/<your_device_here> openpctv-devel-20140129.raspberrypi.tar.bz2

for exampe in my case was:

Code: Select all

./make-sdcard /dev/mmcblk0 openpctv-devel-20140129.raspberrypi.tar.bz2
Be careful that this will destroy any data on that device (since partitions and all the stuff will be created).

enjoy :)

Snakeeater

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Hello,
It's the first time I install an openpctv system and I have never played around with vdr before. I found that the system runs smoothly on a raspi2 so I decided to burn an image to a SD and try it.

I have bought a dvb-sky s960 dvb-s2 usb tuner to test the system.

The OS boots and I managed to go through the setup and decide some configs such as tvheadend as backend running over kodi...

What I can't achieve is to watch live TV...I went in the settings menu and enabled both tvheadend add on and live TV service but a splash error comes out continuously telling me that connection was lost (first) then no stat path found (after managing to acces the webaccess page of tvheadend).

Another useful info is that my SD card has a fat32 filesystem and that my satellite is pointing sky Italy orbit. (Should be hotbird 13..am i right?)

Anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong?how can I find channels?how can I look at logs to solve the problems?how can I watch live tv and then run oscam as a cccam client?

Many thanks

adetheprince

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 am

If its Enigma OS that you have on your RPi then go to :
Menu/Setup/service Searching/Tuner configuration/ ( if your DVBS is showing then is installed ) and chose Hotbird 13.0E on your satellite list, then exit.
Again:
Menu / Setup/service searching/Automatic Scan and scan the entire satellite. ( Green in DM ).

archimedepitagorico

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 am

hi,i'm a new customer to use raspberry Pi,i don't know anithing of this and world of linux but i want to install Openpctv in it to use enigma2,i have wrote all post but sorry i don't yet understand how i can install it,for example:

- chmod 755 make-sdcard
- ./make-sdcard /dev/<your_device_here> openpctv-devel-20140129.raspberrypi.tar.bz2

what is your device to insert in your_device_here?after insert device,wher i can write this command?
i must install before Rasbian and then Openpctv?
thanks to who write a step to step guide for new user...

archimedepitagorico

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 am

JulianXhokaxhiu wrote:It's just more simpler than you may think.

Download both the latest image (.tar.bz2) file of OpenPCTV and make-sdcard in the same directory then:

for exampe in my case was:

Code: Select all

./make-sdcard /dev/mmcblk0 openpctv-devel-20140129.raspberrypi.tar.bz2
Be careful that this will destroy any data on that device (since partitions and all the stuff will be created).

enjoy :)
what i must insert in "your device"?
where and when i must write this command?
- chmod 755 make-sdcard

Jefken

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi All,

I have a Raspberry Py 2, downloaded; https://sourceforge.net/projects/openpc ... pberrypi2/
copied it via dd command (linux) on my sd card and it is working, starting nicely up. I have bluetooth dongle, wifi and/or ethernet acces, but how do I configure things, tried with usb mouse, usb wireless mouse, bluetooth keybord.., please need some help, I 'm stucked on screen with language choice.
thnx in advance, Jefken.

Return to “General discussion”