FlangeMonkey

Success: Smooth Video and DTS playback

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 am

Ok, I just needed to post this because I'm surprised.

I used the Pi a while ago for XBMC and had bad problems with playback on DTS encoded audio files. I therefore had to move away from the Pi for media playback and always intended to kick off a couple more projects. I still don't have time for these projects, but today I was looking at the nice new device on Kickstarter called Slice, which is a Media Center using the Pi compute module. I therefore had questions relating to DTS and the device appears to do DTS decoding in software but does have pass-though. It appears to function very similar to a normal Pi. I therefore assumed that playback on the Slice might be bad for myself, because hardware DTS decoding still isn't available and appears to abandoned (someone correct me... please!).

I started to look into it and although I checked from time to time regarding hardware decoding I missed the FAQ peace that stated "Software DTS audio decode was initially problematic, but works quite well in recent builds. TrueHD audio is CPU intensive and may require overclocking.".

Optimistically, this made me pull out my trusty Pi and update OpenElec and XBMC. Unfortunately playback still sucked... I therefore decided to update the firmware and alike using 'rpi-update' so I pulled out an old Linux build and cranked up some firmware updates.

WOW... so far smooth playback with DTS encoded 1080p content... Lets see if I'm too optimistic on how I'll push it.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Success: Smooth Video and DTS playback

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Yeah,

There were some very clever guys who spent a little bit of time looking at the DTS codec for the ARM and made it go twice as fast

Isn't it amazing what you can do with a little bit of time!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Return to “General discussion”