ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Barebone Basic OS needed

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Arch is far from barebones. Barebones would be just the linux kernel and maybe busybox. It doesn't sound like that's what you're after at all. Arch is a regular distro which can scale to a server or a full blown desktop.

exzile

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 pm

I will go with that then, thanks!

1clue

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Don't be snarky. If you find something you need, you can always install it again.

If you're more comfortable with a debian based install you can start with something like raspbian and uninstall things you don't want. It has been mentioned above, but another way is to use 'aptitude' as root, and uninstall things you don't want.

Uninstalling things that are already disabled won't give you faster boot times. It only gives you more space.

As far as boot times, the only time that makes any difference is when you're booting. That sounds silly but if you leave your pi up for months at a time (as in, it's an appliance that sits there and runs) then boot time makes no significant difference and you shouldn't worry about it. If you reboot every few minutes, then boot time makes a lot of difference.

The reason I say that is there are always people who advertise things like boot time or uptime. They obsess about it, I call them boot-time or uptime junkies.

Getting your boot time low is good to a point, and that point is where you sacrifice necessary functionality to get the boot time lower, or use a substandard tool.

Uptime is nice to a point too. Uptime directly relates to availability of a service, but after awhile things get less stable. There might be a memory leak, or you have software updates since the boot. When you boot using the old version, that version continues to be used until the app that's using it quits, which means you could have something running that will no longer work after the reboot. I had a critical Linux box with an uptime of over 2 years, rebooted it and pretty much had to reinstall after that. Software had been updated several times, configuration files became obsolete and it was a mess.

When reaching for an abstract goal like boot time or uptime, make sure you're not doing something silly.

Hanzerik

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:01 pm

pluggy wrote:This is what I use, its my adoption of an old idea - its been around since the dawn of the Pi, run a root bash shell (sudo bash) and point it at this saved in a file somewhere and made executable.

If you're a windows fiend you might want to keep samba in so just comment or remove that bit.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Stephen's Raspberry Pi Mimimalist install from standard Raspdian Image
apt-get update
apt-get purge xserver* -y
apt-get purge ^x11 -y
apt-get purge ^libx -y
apt-get purge ^lx -y
apt-get purge samba* -y
apt-get autoremove -y
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get clean
Just a heads up if you use this method to trim it down...do this BEFORE you have installed and configured Apache and PHP. Did it last night after I had installed and configured php, and this script will remove php5 and libapache2-mod-php5. Its an easy fix to just use apt-get to reinstall them though.

sparticle

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Just my 2penneth.

I had cause to do this on my new B+ I just wanted to mess around and wanted the latest and greatest raspbian but minimal.

I used https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-ua-netinst
The whole process was simple and fast. After writing the 33mb image to my 512mb sdcard I created a installer-config.txt file on the sdcard and copied in the defaults and amended to add nano and htop a static IP and root fs on the USB.

I put a blank 8GB USB in and the sdcard and booted. 18mins later I had a complete system installed and running. First reboot took about 20 secs to the login prompt. I could ssh in and htop showed it using virtually zero % cpu and 15mb memory.

I would recommend this process to anyone as you get the latest Raspbian armhf and firmware and a trivial but very customisable installation script that is unattended.

Fantastic job by these guys.

Cheers
Spart

Return to “General discussion”