Page 1 of 1

Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 am
by CarlBuddig
Hello Everybody,

I have been reading about the Pi for months. The board is an attractive toy for experimental purposes, however there is a fear that I will plug it in, and not be satisfied with my purchases. I am concerned about over heating and possible explosion. Are there any tips of what to avoid. Can anyone share the safety regulations before I select another board? What guarantee does it come with?

Salutations,

Carl

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:12 am
by BMS Doug
CarlBuddig wrote:Hello Everybody,

I have been reading about the Pi for months. The board is an attractive toy for experimental purposes, however there is a fear that I will plug it in, and not be satisfied with my purchases. I am concerned about over heating and possible explosion. Are there any tips of what to avoid. Can anyone share the safety regulations before I select another board? What guarantee does it come with?

Salutations,

Carl
It is guaranteed not to overheat or explode as long as you connect it correctly. You would have to do things very wrong to get an explosion from a Pi (such as connecting a mains voltage directly to the board perhaps).

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:49 am
by Jim JKla
It's guaranteed to be a cheap computer that will run a wide verity of open source software on a pocket money budget and have a number of display options based on a domestic TV ;)

BTW Satisfaction cannot be guaruanteed without some estimate of your expectations.

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:50 am
by Gert van Loo
Somebody connected 12V to the 5V supply on the GPIO pins.
No explosion, but for some reason it stopped working.
If you are worried about plugging boards on top of it: the Pi does not have enough energy to cause an explosion.
Again, if you connect e.g. a 3V3 expansion board to the 5V supply it is likely to die, but it will not explode.
In the same way you CAN kill your Pi by plugging something weird on top.
Or like I did: plug in a Gertduino and offset the connector by a whole row. It did not like that.
...fear that I will plug it in, and not be satisfied with my purchases
We can not grantee that you will be satisfied with the purchase.

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 am
by Jim JKla
Biggest risk is probably flaky power supplies.

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:27 am
by rgrbic
If you use appropriate power supply, I don't see how RPi can explode. RPi has fuse which is fully opened around 1A.

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:30 am
by RaTTuS
rgrbic wrote:If you use appropriate power supply, I don't see how RPi can explode. RPi has fuse which is fully opened around 1A.
if you put in in a container holding petrol fumes to about 5% and drop metal paper clips on it while powered up you may get an explosion ;)

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 am
by Jim JKla
Sorry just to make sure this is understood I am not saying a flaky PSU will cause the RPi to explode but that there are so many fake PSU's out there that you have a much grater chance you will have an issue with a PSU than you will ever have with the RPi plugged into it.

A PSU bought from a reputable source tend to be ok but there are a lot of bellow standard products out there which are just as likely to cause a problem charging your phone.

The RPi has sort of proved it's stable the jury is still out on some of the wall wart PSU's

@RaTTuS
Semtex and C4 have also prooved to be effective with the correct detonator. :D

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 am
by rgrbic
RaTTuS wrote:
rgrbic wrote:If you use appropriate power supply, I don't see how RPi can explode. RPi has fuse which is fully opened around 1A.
if you put in in a container holding petrol fumes to about 5% and drop metal paper clips on it while powered up you may get an explosion ;)
Or if you put bomb on it and connect the bomb trigger to RPi power supply :)

Re: Safety And The Pi

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:52 am
by rpdom
Jim JKla wrote:Sorry just to make sure this is understood I am not saying a flaky PSU will cause the RPi to explode but that there are so many fake PSU's out there that you have a much grater chance you will have an issue with a PSU than you will ever have with the RPi plugged into it.
There has been one occasion where a PSU was so badly built that the mains voltage arced across to the 5V line and damaged the Pi. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 3&p=513050

Usually you find that these cheap PSUs won't provide enough power at 5V to even run a Pi.

This is the reason not to trust very cheap PSU/chargers bought online. Get one from a reputable company and you will be safe.