User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Would we still be having this discussion if the "firmware" of bootcode.bin and start.elf were read from an EEPROM instead of from the SD card? :?

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:25 pm

No, because then it would be firmware.

Going back to the original problem, I did a trial - I burnt a September 2013 Raspdian image onto a micro SD card. The B+ wouldn't entertain it at all, power light but nothing else whatever, presumably it was too old to recognise the memory in the B+. Stuck it in an adaptor and shoved it in my B original release. Fired up no problem.

Then just did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade.
shut it down, stuck the micro SD back in the B+

Straight up, no problem. The "firmware" is updated with the OS, without the rpi-update run around.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15574
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:55 pm

pluggy wrote:Going back to the original problem, I did a trial - I burnt a September 2013 Raspdian image onto a micro SD card. The B+ wouldn't entertain it at all, power light but nothing else whatever, presumably it was too old to recognise the memory in the B+. Stuck it in an adaptor and shoved it in my B original release. Fired up no problem.

Then just did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade.
shut it down, stuck the micro SD back in the B+

Straight up, no problem. The "firmware" is updated with the OS, without the rpi-update run around.
Your point being?
In the early days of the B+ the firmware might not have been available via apt-get, so you would need to use raspi-update. You might still need to do that for the odd little problems (like a recent one with the camera software).

Things change on a daily basis.

User avatar
AndrewS
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm

rpdom wrote:In the early days of the B+ the firmware might not have been available via apt-get
It was ;-) The scripts that build Raspbian get their files from the repository, which means the repository (i.e. the files installable with apt-get) has to be B+ compatible, before asb is able to build a B+ compatible version of Raspbian. :ugeek:
need to use raspi-update. You might still need to do that for the odd little problems (like a recent one with the camera software).
Yup! Theoretically the 'apt-get' version is the stable version, and the 'rpi-update' version is the 'bleeding edge' version. Although in practice it seems the apt-get version only gets updated at the same time as asb is building a Raspbian release?
Things change on a daily basis.
Yup! :D https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commits/master

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:35 pm

AndrewS wrote:Would we still be having this discussion if the "firmware" of bootcode.bin and start.elf were read from an EEPROM instead of from the SD card? :?
No, because then we would have a "classic BIOS", because that is what the code that "smoothens the difference between slight hardware variations" in fact is, at least in a classic IBM-PC. Point is, that a new release (with hardware differences) on a normal system comes with a small piece of permanent code that "takes care" of those differences, and classically we call this the BIOS. As the PI lacks that permanent memory it uses a different solution, a piece of code that knows about the differences between all the previously released systems, and knows how to detect on which release version it runs, so it can make the necessary adjustments.

glossywhite
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Gosh, we seem to have a rather pedantic bunch in here, eh? :lol:

User avatar
solar3000
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:23 pm

what happened to the original poster? I guess he couldn't type after all.

I'm using raspbian and the only problem I've experience is the the june version wont boot -- unless I do a rpiupgrade.
Antikythera

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 pm

Yes, the june version was the last version that did NOT program the fast clock generator to output a 25MHz signal.

The OP probably stopped reacting to the thread because he simply used a later version of NOOBS, and it worked.



Still thinking about a naming convention, how about calling it a "Universal Integrated BIOS", or UIBIOS, or what about calling it simply PIBIOS?

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

glossywhite wrote:Gosh, we seem to have a rather pedantic bunch in here, eh? :lol:
Of course we're pedantic, we're geeks, it goes with the territory..... ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11064
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Faulty USB ports on pi B+

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

glossywhite wrote:Gosh, we seem to have a rather pedantic bunch in here, eh? :lol:
Is it pedantry when one insists, for the sake of clarity, that technical terms be used according to their definitions?

Return to “General discussion”