mkmiles

How long is the wait?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 pm

If i order another unit how long is the wait right now?

JeremyF

Re: How long is the wait?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I'd say late August - early September if you order today. But that's my rough estimate.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

abishur

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

much less time than if you wait for the backlog to clear before ordering

Also much less time than if you had been waiting since before the forum was in existence ;-)

It's hard to put a hard time frame on things. There are around 1000 new pi made every day, with something like 85K out in the wild right now. The two distributors are working on increasing production even more and I believe Liz made the statement that they hope to have something like half a million out and about by September. So all of this is just to say there are a lot of variables involved in the whole supply/demand issue and getting a firm date will be difficult ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Joe Schmoe

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

What you say is actually rather encouraging. It appears significant progress towards normalcy is being made.

So, since I have not been paying much attention to all the ins and outs over the past few months, can you give me a URL to order from (in the USA) ? I was in fact, quite encouraged by another posters note that it only cost about $45 total for US delivery. I had assumed it would be much more than that.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

JeremyF

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:What you say is actually rather encouraging. It appears significant progress towards normalcy is being made.

So, since I have not been paying much attention to all the ins and outs over the past few months, can you give me a URL to order from (in the USA) ? I was in fact, quite encouraged by another posters note that it only cost about $45 total for US delivery. I had assumed it would be much more than that.
$42.16 / nitpicking

I ordered mine through http://newark.com/raspberrypi (US)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

abishur

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:What you say is actually rather encouraging. It appears significant progress towards normalcy is being made.

The two people to order from in the use are either Element14 (Newark [Farnell] ) or Allied Electronics (RS Components)

Joe Schmoe

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 pm

JeremyF wrote:

$42.16 / nitpicking

OK - thanks for that.

But it looks like it is still "Register your interest" - which sounds like "whenever" - right?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

yertiz

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:47 pm

abishur wrote:much less time than if you wait for the backlog to clear before ordering

Also much less time than if you had been waiting since before the forum was in existence ;-)

It's hard to put a hard time frame on things. There are around 1000 new pi made every day, with something like 85K out in the wild right now. The two distributors are working on increasing production even more and I believe Liz made the statement that they hope to have something like half a million out and about by September. So all of this is just to say there are a lot of variables involved in the whole supply/demand issue and getting a firm date will be difficult ;-)
I hope you have got your sums wrong by a factor of 10. If they are only making pis at a rate of 1,000 a day then it will take nearly 17 months to produce 500,000. 10,000 a day sounds more realistic to me.

Yertiz

abishur

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
JeremyF wrote:

$42.16 / nitpicking

OK - thanks for that.

But it looks like it is still "Register your interest" - which sounds like "whenever" - right?
It really does, which has been a personal pita for me, but the honest truth is that registering your interest is the method they've chosen for creating a queue. So go ahead and "Register Interest" as it gets you your spot in line. Once your turn comes up they'll take your order information ;-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm

yertiz wrote:
abishur wrote:much less time than if you wait for the backlog to clear before ordering

I hope you have got your sums wrong by a factor of 10. If they are only making pis at a rate of 1,000 a day then it will take nearly 17 months to produce 500,000. 10,000 a day sounds more realistic to me.

Yertiz
Yes, it's considerably more than 1k a day!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

abishur

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

jamesh wrote:
yertiz wrote:

Yertiz
Yes, it's considerably more than 1k a day!
:oops: my bad

mkmiles

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks guys and gals :)

Return to “General discussion”