XBMCantgetenough

Raspberry Pi DOES NOT cost $35

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 pm

RS online
£24.35 (excluding VAT) = $41.49 discrepancy ($41.49 - $35) = $6.49 (£3.81 shipping ??)

cpc.farnell
£22.87 (excluding VAT) = $38.97 discrepancy ($38.97 - $35) = $3.97 (£2.33 shipping ??)

I love my Pi, don't get me wrong but the facts are facts and I don't like being told its one thing when its not. The foundation says a vendor can't sell above $35, but look above. I've used the price without VAT (since this is the norm in USA, but NOT in UK). In UK when we ask for a price we want the price we pay after VAT is added. But I'm sure the quoted price of $35 is meant to be without VAT.

Even without VAT they go above $35, with RS charging $41.49!!!

Both RS and cpc.farnell say its free shipping, if it is free then its simple they are not adhering, to what the Foundation asked, can't charge above $35. but for argument sake, say they include shipping with the free price so thats why its bumped up (then dont say free shipping) that still doesnt explain why the price is so high. MASSIVE companies like those above send millions of items and will have MASSIVE discounts on Shipping, I'm sure its no where near the £2 mark.

First are the distributors allowed to charge this much? and second do NOT say its a $35 computer

In RS case its a $41.49 BOARD thats 18.5% overcharge

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi DOES NOT cost $35

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

What exchange rate have you used? Since the exchange rate is constantly changing, and it's not possible for Farnell/RS to be constantly changing their UK prices, they have to pick a price that in effect compensates.

The other point is that there's not such thing as free shipping. It's incorporated in to the price of the product, which is another reason they will be seemingly above $35. And its not just the cost of shipping, but packaging and handling as well. Someone has to be paid to put the box in a jiffy bag, stick an address on it and so on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

IBTL
but
22.87 UKP current cost is 38.95 dollar

the cost is always quoted before tax and shipping
current exchange rates do fluctuate
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

septantrionalis

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:20 pm

I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have a Microcenter literally a few blocks away that always has them in stock -- $29.99. I could stop by right now and pick it up for less than $35, lol.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4145 ... Pi_Model_B

MrEngman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:21 pm

+1 XBMCantgetenough

The dollar prices are quoted without local taxes and shipping, fair enough. But add 20% VAT and well.

In proportion prices for the model A are even worse.

For the B+ the price charged by CPC would require an exchange rate of approx $1.53 to £1, and for RS and Farnell, yes Farnell is charging more than CPC which surprised me, an exchange rate of approx $1.44 to £1.

Take a look here http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange ... M=0&MM1Y=1 and see when the pound was anywhere near those rates - almost never unless you go back to before the Pi was even thought of.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Richard-TX

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

The last two Raspberry Pi I bought cost me $35 each plus $5.56 for shipping. I got them from Allied.
Last edited by Richard-TX on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Richard-TX

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

septantrionalis wrote:I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have a Microcenter literally a few blocks away that always has them in stock -- $29.99. I could stop by right now and pick it up for less than $35, lol.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4145 ... Pi_Model_B
The next time I go to Microcenter I am going to pick up one. Sales tax will negate some of the savings however.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

XBMCantgetenough

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 pm

jamesh as MrEngman has explained the exchange can't explain the price difference. and yes MrEngman I dont even want to bother with the maths to work out the true price of model A, I know its NO WHERE NEAR $25.

jamesh when a company or agent advertises that a product will cost x amount of $, they take into account packaging cost do they not? if thats not the case then its misleading.

Apple announce a product as $499, they dont just charge for the iphone and say its costs $5 for the box. And I've ordered countless Pi's and the packaging they come in will cost the sellers IM SURE about 10p. and again the shipping for them will also be not much. I've just ordered a b+, so im not hating on the Pi. Iove them!! but they are not $35, the facts speak for themselves. Also why is that USA get it way cheaper than us, its made in the UK!!!

jamesh

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 pm

XBMCantgetenough wrote:jamesh as MrEngman has explained the exchange can't explain the price difference. and yes MrEngman I dont even want to bother with the maths to work out the true price of model A, I know its NO WHERE NEAR $25.

jamesh when a company or agent advertises that a product will cost x amount of $, they take into account packaging cost do they not? if thats not the case then its misleading.

Apple announce a product as $499, they dont just charge for the iphone and say its costs $5 for the box. And I've ordered countless Pi's and the packaging they come in will cost the sellers IM SURE about 10p. and again the shipping for them will also be not much. I've just ordered a b+, so im not hating on the Pi. Iove them!! but they are not $35, the facts speak for themselves. Also why is that USA get it way cheaper than us, its made in the UK!!!
Apple charge for that iPhone to be put in a jiffy bag or postal box, then sent to you (if they don't then that is taken care of in the price). I'm not talking about the box Pi box, but the postage box. They all cost money, as does the person who has to pick up the box from the storage shelf, and put it in the postal box. None of that is in the headline price.

However, I will flag your comment up to the Foundation to see if they have any further comment, but tbh, once you take in to account exchange rate, tax, postage and packing, you are pretty damn close to $35.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

BMS Doug

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Have you ever tried to actually get the exchange rate when changing currency? I've never managed to, there's always commission or something else to pay.

The suppliers can't strictly tie their price to the dollar, they have to tie it to the rate that they can get on the day they purchase the components for the boards.

today you can buy $35 for a total cost of between £20 and £30(depending on who you exchange it through),
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

rpdom

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Let's see. My Pi B+ was £24.35 from Farnell including delivery, plus £4.87 VAT.

I think that is pretty reasonable for next day delivery.
[edit]Not plain first class post, but guaranteed delivery within 24 hours.
Last edited by rpdom on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbodin

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Some of us across the pond, including myself, should consider ourselves lucky. I got my Pi B+ from MCM for exactly $35 (free shipping, no tax charged).

I also live close to Microcenter. I could go there and pick up another Pi B for $29.99 if I want to. With 6% sales tax, it's still less than $35.
Binh Bui

MrEngman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Many companies have their own dollar accounts to avoid the problem of exchanging currency, don't the?. And anyway even if they don't they're not likely to go to their local travel exchange to exchange their currency are they?

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

rpdom wrote:Let's see. My Pi B+ was £24.35 from Farnell including delivery, plus £4.87 VAT.

I think that is pretty reasonable for next day delivery.
[edit]Not plain first class post, but guaranteed delivery within 24 hours.
You should have bought it from CPC, £22.87 + £4.57 VAT. You would have saved £1.80 :D

The prices are reasonable so why is so much emphasis placed on the dollar price when it just isn't true. And trying to use variable exchange rates as an excuse, well :?

MrEngman

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 pm

MrEngman wrote:Many companies have their own dollar accounts to avoid the problem of exchanging currency, don't the?. And anyway even if they don't they're not likely to go to their local travel exchange to exchange their currency are they?

MrEngman
It would seem that the OP is using currency rates for the general public like xe.com

Agree MrEngman Big Business have diffent banking / exchange rates, as I have found out with AliExpress and such like........

Also one must take into account the price paid at the time for stock which was not today......

IMO these posts are deragatory and unseemly and make the RPF look bad, which they are not.

At the end of the day nobody is forcing anyone to buy at the price, I bought a new Pi B last year for 21.00 inc P&P on fleabay !
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:[

It would seem that the OP is using currency rates for the general public like xe.com

Agree MrEngman Big Business have diffent banking / exchange rates, as I have found out with AliExpress and such like........

Also one must take into account the price paid at the time for stock which was not today......

IMO these posts are deragatory and unseemly and make the RPF look bad, which they are not.

At the end of the day nobody is forcing anyone to buy at the price, I bought a new Pi B last year for 21.00 inc P&P on fleabay !
Quite. Thread closed.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jessie

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

XBMCantgetenough wrote:jamesh as MrEngman has explained the exchange can't explain the price difference. and yes MrEngman I dont even want to bother with the maths to work out the true price of model A, I know its NO WHERE NEAR $25.

When Apple charges $499 for a product there is at least $200 of padding on that price. Apple can afford to take a hit in some regions. They just announeced something like a $8B cash dividend being paid to stockholders.

I do wish these suppliers would just pick a whole number like £22 and stick to it so these occasional threads wouldn't pop up.

Living in the US I have had no issue getting them for $35, however they have raped me on shipping a few times my Rev 1 cost me $11 in shipping. But shipping is what it is if they weren't so hard to get ahold of back then I would have just ordered from another supplier.

Return to “General discussion”