karl128k

Deleted

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Deleted
Last edited by karl128k on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchadwick

Re: Anyone tried the Mednafen emulator?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 am

Mednafen likely supports OpenGL, but not OpenGL ES. While an OpenGL ES 2 port should be mostly trivial, it is still work to be done.

That just affects blitting speed, however. Some other things that might affect speed are audio resampling (if you're using software floating point, best use a fixed point resampler like the one in Speex) and actual CPU emulation (this is much harder to solve, as you begin to hit hardware limitations.)

scottscreations

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Tried it last night. NES Teenage mutant ninja turtles. Performance was okay. I wouldnt use it though until the GPU is working under X. THEN if performance still sucks, consider rewriting some of the mednafen for opengles.

I have the same dreams though, rasp pi + emulator all my roms == super fun.

For some reason I could not get mednafen to emulator snes roms....i need to try that on my main linux machine to see why.

normalocity

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm very interested in this as a possible command-line driven solution (mednafen), because it should be possible to use the fact that X (and a framebuffer drive) is already part of the kernel, and effectively setup mednafen as the start applition, thereby turning your Pi into a console that is always plugged into your TV, and has "turn on and play" functionality.

My early work with mednafen on the Pi (just this morning really) has hit some hurdles. I'm going to keep digging. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to make this work.

Right now I'm working on trying to find OpenGL accelerated drivers and such to address the frame rate issues. Currently I also have FCEU installed and it's working out of the box, but without sound. Hoping to get the graphics drivers stuff resolved, then switch over to mednafen and try to get sound working. When I load up mednafen I currently get no video, and something that's clearly trying to be sound, but doesn't sound anything like the actual games I'm testing.

normalocity

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 am

Best I've got so far is passing the option `-soundrate 9600` to mednafen. This doesn't get the sound really working, but you can sort of hear it playing at about 1/2 speed. Tried playing around with other audio sample rates, but no luck yet. If I specify no sound options at all, what I get is a bunch of not exactly static, but something like a steady and fast blast of audio pops.

Also tried `-sounddriver "sexyal-literal-default"` because I found on the mednafen site the release notes (http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/releases/) specify that the default driver, "hw:0" is not alsa's default. However, (a) that didn't change the symptoms I was looking at, and (b) when inspecting the output from starting mednafen, it looks like it's already using this driver.

Other options my include the oss-alsa and oss-compat stuff I've read about, but I haven't had any better luck with those, at least not yet.

Still no video. Tried `-vdriver opengl` and -vdriver sdl` - neither works, and works, and all I get is a black screen with either option.

It seems clear, especially when I get the sound half working, that the emulator is definitely loading the rom and trying to do something. I'm confident that the ROMs I'm testing against work, because I can load them up in FCEU (video works on FCEU perfectly, and fast, but no audio there either).

POPEYE

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

Cannot get sound only clicking noise.
Video is a little bit choppy, especially, when sound is enabled, but playable (I am using sdl and scaling 2.5 to 2 to stretch image).

normalocity

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Are you married to mednafen as a solution? I'm starting to prefer retroarch as part of a long-term plan to build a cheap emulation box. I'm experiencing the same sound problems in mednafen and other emulators, so I suspect the problem is driver/config related, and not necessarily mednafen specifically.

If you're interested in collaborating on a fix, and you're comfortable (or want to learn) to write shell scripts, I'd love your help over on this github project: https://github.com/normalocity/retroarc ... aspi-build

This offer goes out to all devs who want to build a standard box, by the way. :)

petrockblog

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

normalocity wrote:? I'm starting to prefer retroarch as part of a long-term plan to build a cheap emulation box. I'm experiencing the same sound problems in mednafen and other emulators, so I suspect the problem is driver/config related, and not necessarily mednafen specifically.

If you're interested in collaborating on a fix, and you're comfortable (or want to learn) to write shell scripts, I'd love your help over on this github project: https://github.com/normalocity/retroarc ... aspi-build

This offer goes out to all devs who want to build a standard box, by the way. :)
Hi,
seems as if we are following the same idea :-) You might be interested in what the >>RetroPie project<< and >>Setup Script<< have achieved so far. You can find a thread about that >>here<<. A bunch of people is working on different components (front-end, themes, drivers, scrapers, hardware, installation) that can be installed with that script. Currently, there is quite some drive in the development. Everyone can contribute!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

normalocity

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh, RetroPi sounds interesting. Thanks for the link.

Return to “General discussion”