Mequa

Re: Questions regarding 1080p 60fps video and Model B+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 pm

1080p 60FPS video is silky smooth here in Kodi running on Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, with the following overclock settings in config.txt:

Code: Select all

h264_freq=500
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
arm_freq=1000
over_voltage=6
And if you don't mind losing your warranty:

Code: Select all

force_turbo=1
Upgrading to a 2A power supply does help in terms of stability, too.

If a particular video does not play smooth in [email protected] on the above settings, it may be possible to re-code the video to the same resolution and frame rate using slightly different settings using software such as HandBrake, and see if that plays smooth.

Mequa

Re: Questions regarding 1080p 60fps video and Model B+

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:12 am

If you are using HandBrake to re-code a [email protected] video (I'm using my Windows 7 PC to do the conversion), the following options might be useful to make it play smoother on a Raspberry Pi, in addition to the above overclock settings which work on Pi 2 ("h264_freq=500" is the crucial one):

Under the "Video" tab:
Set Video Codec to H.264 (x264)
Select "Fast Decode"
Select "Constant Framerate"

I've yet to test "Constant Quality" vs "Avg Bitrate" settings. The default value is Constant Quality: 20, which is high quality - increasing it to 22 will produce a smaller file with lower quality.

I'd like to see some experimentation done as to producing optimised [email protected] videos to play back on an overclocked Raspberry Pi (1 or 2), with performance testing. At a push, it looks like the Pi may be capable of playing any [email protected] video which has been suitably converted with fast decode and other settings.

I've got hold of a few videos in this resolution and frame rate which do not play smoothly on the Pi, even with h264_freq much above 500 (which made my Pi unstable at around 800 and above), so I'm seeing if I can convert and optimise them for playback using the above settings. I may do some more experimentation here.

HandBrake looks like good software to try to optimise these videos for the Pi. I'm currently trying a large video conversion, and will report back when it's done.

Return to “General discussion”