Boeeerb

Re: Pi B+ won't shutdown? Tying pin 28 to GND seems to solve

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

I don't suffer the spontaneous reboot problem, but out of curiosity just had to try the halt and finger touch restart - And so it does!

I don't use noobs, purely as I run headless using WiFi/USB-TTL cable so I just want to just SSH straight in to Raspbian, so cd /boot and sudo wget (renaming the old one first) and restart then half worked.

Glad to see the 10 flashes are back, I missed them from the my time with the A/B.
Find me on Twitter - @Boeeerb
Website - http://www.boeeerb.co.uk

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:47 pm

guzunty wrote:Thanks guys. I'd be curious to know what was changed to effect the fix.
The rev1 board used GPIO1 to wake up.
The rev2 board used GPIO3 to wake up.

Bootcode used to be unaware of the board revision, so would accept either pin.
Now B+ board should use GPIO3, but it also exposes GPIO1 to the header without an external pull-up, and this is the pin that is falsely triggering.

So, bootcode needs to check board revision and only look at single, correct GPIO (that has an external pull-up).

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 pm

dom wrote:
guzunty wrote:Thanks guys. I'd be curious to know what was changed to effect the fix.
The rev1 board used GPIO1 to wake up.
The rev2 board used GPIO3 to wake up.

Bootcode used to be unaware of the board revision, so would accept either pin.
Now B+ board should use GPIO3, but it also exposes GPIO1 to the header without an external pull-up, and this is the pin that is falsely triggering.

So, bootcode needs to check board revision and only look at single, correct GPIO (that has an external pull-up).
Ah, that's good. If bootcode is integrated with gpioman in some way or otherwise detects the platform, it would also solve the problem of gpio16 pulsing at boot time on the compute module and b+.

guzunty

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 am

Curiosity satisfied. :)

Thanks Dom.
Guzunty: A fully programmable peripheral you build yourself! https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

ke82

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

I've had the exact same problem with my new RPi B+. I had it lying on the floor in the anti-static bag I've got it from Farnell. Nothing was attached except the WiFi dongle so I could log in via SSH. I was nowhere near the GPIO port, literally 1.5 m away from the Pi and I was not able to shut it down properly (via sudo halt or sudo shutdown -h now or sudo shutdown -h -P now). It was restarting every time, I've tried about 10 times, always the same result.

After downloading bootcode.bin from Dom the problem is FIXED and the Pi correctly shuts down.

kiloleader

Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi,

I have a similar thing on pin 21 (BCM). I am connecting the GPIO pins to IR sensors (powered by Pi) which seems to cause a reboot on shutdown. In addition, if I try to set up an GPIO.add_event_detect on pin 21 it fails with 'RunTimeError : Failed to add edge detection'.

Any ideas?

rpdom

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 pm

What revision Pi have you got?

The early Rev 1 boards used BCM pin 21, most boards use BCM pin 27 on pin P1-13.

Try changing your code to use 27.

badadd

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Im new here, but just thought I would post my findings.

I was bought a B+ for my Christmas present. Never used Pi's before and have limited tech knowledge.

I am still in the early stages of setting up my Pi but when I have a USB mouse plugged in, one of the ones with a red LED on the bottom, I get this issue. Unplug this and I don't get the issue, no matter how close I get to the pins.

Hope this helps.

Return to “General discussion”