AndrewPiEater

Re: Who's got their hands on a B+ so far?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 am

AndrewS wrote:
AndrewPiEater wrote:I have my B+, been looking for a case to fit. Need it to be as minimalist as possible. Does anyone know of one available?
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/b-pibow-coupe
Thank you so much, that could not have met my particular requirements any more perfectly. Well done.

gregeric

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am

AndrewS wrote:
gregeric wrote:All fine with the Raspbian partition of a previous NOOBS microSD, but the NOOBS software itself appears not to have drivers for the upgraded USB hub/ethernet IC, as I cannot select OS's from the NOOBS menu.
Which version of NOOBS was that? What do you mean by "cannot select OS's" - the keyboard (or mouse) is totally unresponsive, or something else?
Files in FAT32 boot partition have datestamps 27/9/13, quite old then... and yes, no USB devices are brought up, so no control of BOOT selection is possible.
AndrewS wrote:
gregeric wrote:Is there a way to update just the NOOBS boot partition?
It's not really recommended, but you could try extracting the files from NOOBS Lite over the top of your current RECOVERY (i.e. NOOBS) partition? Note that this obviously won't update any of the OS installation images, and in versions of NOOBS prior to 1.3.8 not all the OSes are compatible with the Model B+. And if you *do* try this, you'll also need to take the 'runinstaller' option out of recovery.cmdline to stop NOOBS deleting your existing partitions.

Recommended solution is to just backup any files you need, reformat the card, and start afresh with NOOBS v1.3.9 ;)
OK, I'm fine with that, will DD the Raspbian & Raspbmc partitions to an image file. Might attempt the NOOBs update too just for fun.

Peterleroux

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Just curious, for those who got from RS - does it come in the little pink shipping case like the old B?

RichardUK

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Just arrived. :)

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Peterleroux wrote:Just curious, for those who got from RS - does it come in the little pink shipping case like the old B?
No did not receive any extras, though a free T-Shirt would of come in handy.........
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

BillStephenson

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Got mine yesterday afternoon, just 48 hours from when I ordered it from Newark element14.

I hooked up an old MS wireless keyboard/mouse, a WiPi dongle, a Card Reader, and a USB flash drive and it runs them all just fine. This is no small deal, it's an out of the box savings of at least $15 for a decent powered usb hub and huge savings in hassles messing with them.

Douglas6

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:26 pm

'Come to my arms, my 'B'-mish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' I chortled in my joy!

(with apologies to Lewis Carroll)

sportsnapper

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Got mine is 24 hrs from CPC.

Are there any recommended micro SD cards? Speed rather than size?

G

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:44 pm

sportsnapper wrote:Got mine is 24 hrs from CPC.

G
The noobs card from swag store is as fast as anything.

bbodin

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:40 pm

I ordered one yesterday from MCM Electronics. What surprised me was there was no charge for shipping and tax! At an already low selling price, I guess the profit margin is very thin unless the manufacturing cost is very low.
Binh Bui

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Update on my post here of yesterday: FWIW, I've now hacked (almost literally :) ) a 40pin to 26pin adapter cable assembly and checked that it worked with one of my existing "test boards" - some pictures and brief notes can be found at:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... RasPi.html .
I'm intending to re-visit some of my NOOBS "gorilla testing" (esp. composite or HDMI-to-VGA use) once the case I've ordered arrives (hopefully tomorrow, 'twas dispatched today).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jamesh

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Got the B+ (Thanks Emma), just waiting for a Pibow Coupe and nano wireless adapter before create my motorhome wireless hot spot for media consumption whilst on the move (By the children, not the driver...). Reckon I can power my USB HD with all the films on it with the new power circuitry so should make a much easier setup than with a hub - will all run from the vans 12v on the move. . Fingers crossed OpenELEC works out of the box, or I'll have to actually engage brain. Not recommended in this hot weather!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

blachanc

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:30 am

Got two from newark canada (within 20 hours after order):
did a quick physical connection trial:

PIface digital: need stacker, and then is floating a bit. (User could replace the header by a stacking one).
adafruit lcd: ok
gerduino: ok (sorry, no pictures, limited to three per post)

note: since the connector on B+ is more within the board body(to leave room for screw holes),
all addon boards extend over the usb for 5mm (3/16 of an inch for the Yankees :-) )

EDIT: Issue: my logitech k120 would not work at the NOOBS menu (raspian or raspbmc) when noobs is booting on the B+.
I did the recommended update in my old B before putting the microsd card in the new B+).

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux pidevben 3.12.22+ #691 PREEMPT Wed Jun 18 18:29:58 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
I have the noobs keyboard problem in (EDIT) ONLY the B+.
On B+ Keyboard works fine once raspian loads (but cap lock will not light on).
On The B, there is no issue at the NOOBS menu or Raspian prompt (cap locks light works)

I will do a clean NOOBS install on a second card to confirm)

the fab four:
ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 17 23.08.jpg
ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 17 23.08.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
PIFACE digital:
ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 17 23.08.jpg
ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 17 23.08.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Adafruit LCD:
ScreenHunter_06 Jul. 17 23.09.jpg
ScreenHunter_06 Jul. 17 23.09.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Sorry no pict of the gertduino (3 attachment limit by the lovely Forum)

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

StephanB

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 am

dom wrote:
sportsnapper wrote:Got mine is 24 hrs from CPC.

G
====
The noobs card from swag store is as fast as anything.
====
I use Transcend 32GB Class10 SD
Write speed 11.8, 12.7, 13.1, 13.3, 14.5 (Test on old B, I will re-run on B Plus)
Read speed 20.9, 20.9, 20.9, 21.0, 21.0 (Test on old B, I will re-run on B Plus)
I found a reasonable difference in cards speeds and am now sticking with Transcend .
Hope this helps

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 am

plugwash wrote:
StephanB wrote:Anyone else saw this strange feature. Three of my B+ boards have the following LED action ACT=flashing green and the PWR=red, but on the fourth board, using exactly the same set-up the PWR led is green rather than red. It all works just fine so not a problem just strange.
Sounds like someone put the wrong reel on the pick and place machine, I suspect there are a few thousand like it.
We had a call yesterday evening with the factory: you got it in one. We think that only a hundred or so of the boards with the LEDs swapped round got out into the wild (the poor souls at the factory added an extra shift, and worked through last night unboxing and testing 16,000 Pis to make sure no more get out there). So I guess you could look at it as a very, very special edition model!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

g7ruh

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:50 am

Liz, you could consider keeping a few of the "special LED edition" models and auctioning them off for the Foundation funds. I am sure some folks would pay a bit more for one, especially if it helps y'all at the Towers

jamesh

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 am

liz wrote:
plugwash wrote:
StephanB wrote:Anyone else saw this strange feature. Three of my B+ boards have the following LED action ACT=flashing green and the PWR=red, but on the fourth board, using exactly the same set-up the PWR led is green rather than red. It all works just fine so not a problem just strange.
Sounds like someone put the wrong reel on the pick and place machine, I suspect there are a few thousand like it.
We had a call yesterday evening with the factory: you got it in one. We think that only a hundred or so of the boards with the LEDs swapped round got out into the wild (the poor souls at the factory added an extra shift, and worked through last night unboxing and testing 16,000 Pis to make sure no more get out there). So I guess you could look at it as a very, very special edition model!
A bit like stamps or similar that having a printing flaw - worth (lots) more than the normal ones...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mikerr

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 am

The new placement of the LEDs has a big advantage for cases:
they shine right through the thin walls of my case!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 40&t=82051
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

StephanB

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 am

liz wrote:
plugwash wrote:
====
Great job. Will people notice or just assume that is the way it should be? I’m loving my "special LED edition" B Plus :)

liz

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 am

Whether or not most users would notice was something we brought up on the call - my guess is that no, many people wouldn't spot it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Emmadw

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 am

Ordered Tuesday lunchtime; arrived Weds sometime :) (i.e. was home by the time I got in)

Unfortunately, I forgot to get a MicroSD card at the same time (never thought it would arrive that fast ... though hoped it would be quicker than the 6 weeks or so the original one took).

Are there any cards that are problematic - I recall with the first model, not all cards worked.

Cancelor

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 am

liz wrote:
plugwash wrote:
Reminds me of a decree that went out in a place I used to work at .... 'all LEDs must be green' any other colour was seen as negative! lol
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 am

Emmadw wrote:Ordered Tuesday lunchtime; arrived Weds sometime :) (i.e. was home by the time I got in)
Unfortunately, I forgot to get a MicroSD card at the same time (never thought it would arrive that fast ... though hoped it would be quicker than the 6 weeks or so the original one took).
Are there any cards that are problematic - I recall with the first model, not all cards worked.
Given that half of the cards I've used in my previous Pi's** (and the NOOBS pre-loaded cards) are micro-SDHC cards in adapters, I'd be surprised if many (excluding fakes) will have problems. (Famous last words :) ).
Trev.
** FWIW, details here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... cards.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

johnscriven

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am

Mine arrived on 16/07/14.
Unfortunately the micro SD slot wouldn't hold the card in - problem with the slot, not the card.
I noticed in a review that the same thing happened & they resorted to sticky tape :-(

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops- ... l-b-review

Hope this isn't a design fault as the micro slot is flimsy compared to a full size SD.
Awaiting my replacement from CPC....

dom

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:48 am

StephanB wrote: I use Transcend 32GB Class10 SD
Write speed 11.8, 12.7, 13.1, 13.3, 14.5 (Test on old B, I will re-run on B Plus)
Read speed 20.9, 20.9, 20.9, 21.0, 21.0 (Test on old B, I will re-run on B Plus)
I found a reasonable difference in cards speeds and am now sticking with Transcend .
Hope this helps
You want to look at the 4K random access read/write numbers to see how it will really perform. See here for NOOBS card numbers:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p487351

Return to “General discussion”