mikerr

Re: Who's got their hands on a B+ so far?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm

My first try with B+ existing microSD card booted up with "dead" USB (i.e. old firmware),
also the green ACT LED didn't light up during boot either ?!

So I downloaded a new NOOBS (lite) to the card and after that all is well - LEDs lighting up as expected,
and raspbian downloaded and installed fine.
Last edited by mikerr on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

guzunty

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Just transplanted the card back to the 'B' it was cloned from.

Halts correctly there. Very strange.

@mikeerr, I tried a fresh raspbian image from yesterday and that had working ports but still had the halting issue. Maybe NOOBS is different in some way. I'll give it a try when I get half an hour.

EDIT: I was about ready to take this aside to the troubleshooting sub forum. However, on returning the uSD card to its place in the model B+ both halt and shutdown now working as expected.

I did nothing to the card beyond moving it there and back again.

@Dom, still no 10 flashes of ACT at shutdown, though ACT behaves as it did before at all other times.
Last edited by guzunty on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guzunty: A fully programmable peripheral you build yourself! https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

Burngate

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 pm

[email protected] wrote:the 10 flashes do happen - just on the wrong LED. The "ACT" led changed GPIO pin number from the Bv2 to the CM test board and B+ Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Do you happen to know / where can I find out which GPIO it now uses?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Burngate wrote:Do you happen to know / where can I find out which GPIO it now uses?
You'll see in /proc/cmdline

Code: Select all

bcm2708.disk_led_gpio=47
So, it's GPIO47.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm

The one I ordered via CPC Farnell "after lunch" on Monday arrived in the post today. Fitted some nylon pillars into the mounting holes (in lieu of a case). Used GParted (on my Ubuntu netbook) to reformat etc. a 16Gb Samsung uSDHC, downloaded NOOBS 1.3.9 lite and unzipped it to the card. Plugged everything else in, switched the (shared) monitor to DVI mode, powered up the B+ and "et voila", the NOOBS O.S. selection screen appeared eventually. Selected Raspbian and clicked install. All appeared to be going fine until I got a "... downloading or extracting tarball ..." error pop-up. On clicking "close" this led to filesystem mount issues and a kernel panic. Powered down, waited a few secs. then powered back-up. This time Raspbian was installed w/o any further problems so I guess there was a "network glitch". (I have monitor 'photos of the kernel panic stuff if needed).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

alias_neo

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:17 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:The one I ordered via CPC Farnell "after lunch" on Monday arrived in the post today. Fitted some nylon pillars into the mounting holes (in lieu of a case). Used GParted (on my Ubuntu netbook) to reformat etc. a 16Gb Samsung uSDHC, downloaded NOOBS 1.3.9 lite and unzipped it to the card. Plugged everything else in, switched the (shared) monitor to DVI mode, powered up the B+ and "et voila", the NOOBS O.S. selection screen appeared eventually. Selected Raspbian and clicked install. All appeared to be going fine until I got a "... downloading or extracting tarball ..." error pop-up. On clicking "close" this led to filesystem mount issues and a kernel panic. Powered down, waited a few secs. then powered back-up. This time Raspbian was installed w/o any further problems so I guess there was a "network glitch". (I have monitor 'photos of the kernel panic stuff if needed).
Trev.
In the past, I've only ever come across kernel panics when timing/power issues have caused SD access problems, the kernel panics and switches to read only. I say timing/power because from my experience, it has only ever been caused by the SD card not being powered/clocked properly. SInce the reboot and take 2 fixed it, guess there's little point worrying now.
http://2byt.es - Just my two bytes - RPi - Android - Arduino - Blog

StephanB

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Received four boards yesterday from Farnell
On the old model B we performed
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then moved the micro sd over to the B Plus. Our project which uses GPS, wifi and Iridium satellite comms and is working fine.
Our big issue with the model B is it only has two holes for screwing it down. Four holes make mounting much more solid. Very nice improvements overall, and may I say, sensible improvements. We are now switching to B Plus and will use our old Bs for training.

Burngate

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

dom wrote:... So, it's GPIO47.
Thanks!

AndrewPiEater

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

I have my B+, been looking for a case to fit. Need it to be as minimalist as possible. Does anyone know of one available?

Thanks.

pluggy

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm

One I ordered on Monday from CPC arrived today. Works as expected, tested the USB hotplug with a keyboard that reboots my old boards. No problem on the B+. Much less of a wiring octopus than an old board.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

gordon77

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 pm

AndrewPiEater wrote:I have my B+, been looking for a case to fit. Need it to be as minimalist as possible. Does anyone know of one available?

Thanks.
Take a look on www.cpc.Co.uk they have a case for the B+

[email protected]

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:00 pm

dom wrote:
[email protected] wrote: the 10 flashes do happen - just on the wrong LED. The "ACT" led changed GPIO pin number from the Bv2 to the CM test board and B+ Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Do you have latest bootcode.bin? It should be useing the ACT led for the flashes.
I have the latest from apt-get update/upgrade. I don't use rpi-update.

Just re-checked - and it's not pulled new firmware.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/home/pi# uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.12.22+ #691 PREEMPT Wed Jun 18 18:29:58 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:/home/pi# ls -l /boot
total 9593
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   17824 Jun 19 19:59 bootcode.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     120 Jan  1  1980 cmdline.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    1409 Jul 10 21:10 config.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    2090 Jun 19 19:59 fixup_cd.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    5845 Jun 19 19:59 fixup.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    8822 Jun 19 19:59 fixup_x.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     137 Jun 20 10:33 issue.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3192224 Jun 19 19:59 kernel.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   18974 Sep 25  2013 LICENSE.oracle
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     310 Jan  1  1980 os_config.json
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  512792 Jun 19 19:59 start_cd.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2557720 Jun 19 19:59 start.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3500744 Jun 19 19:59 start_x.elf
if that helps...

The ACT LED works fine in the kernel for the SD card access, but it reverts to the old LED at halt time.

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

StephanB

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Anyone else saw this strange feature. Three of my B+ boards have the following LED action ACT=flashing green and the PWR=red, but on the fourth board, using exactly the same set-up the PWR led is green rather than red. It all works just fine so not a problem just strange.

Photo is not great (Phone camera then squashed to get it on the forum) but you can see top right the PWR Led is red in one board and green in the other. Ignore the ACT green LED as this flashes so its a bit random if its on or off when I took the photo.

I hope the document all the board test points like the RUN test points. May be handy.
Attachments
WP_20140716_001_mod5.jpg
PWR=RED PWR=GREEN
WP_20140716_001_mod5.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Last edited by StephanB on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdb

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 pm

StephanB wrote:Anyone else saw this strange feature. Three of my B+ boards have the following LED action ACT=flashing green and the PWR=red, but on the fourth board, using exactly the same set-up the PWR led is green rather than red. It all works just fine so not a problem just strange.

I hope the document all the board test points like the RUN test points. May be handy.
Can you post a photo?

Edit:

Heh. The LEDs are swapped. Does the ACT LED work at all?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

gregeric

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:08 pm

New B+ is much neater and prettier. There's an obvious increase in engineering thought, time & money gone in to revising it. It's lovely!.

All fine with the Raspbian partition of a previous NOOBS microSD, but the NOOBS software itself appears not to have drivers for the upgraded USB hub/ethernet IC, as I cannot select OS's from the NOOBS menu.

Is there a way to update just the NOOBS boot partition?

lreford

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm

I got one in yesterday from the good fellows at Pimoroni - it's running quite happily with a 64gb Sandisk microsd card.

AndrewS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:55 am

AndrewPiEater wrote:I have my B+, been looking for a case to fit. Need it to be as minimalist as possible. Does anyone know of one available?
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/b-pibow-coupe

AndrewS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:57 am

StephanB wrote:Anyone else saw this strange feature. Three of my B+ boards have the following LED action ACT=flashing green and the PWR=red, but on the fourth board, using exactly the same set-up the PWR led is green rather than red. It all works just fine so not a problem just strange.
You might be able to send it back for a replacement?

AndrewS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:03 am

[email protected] wrote:
dom wrote:Do you have latest bootcode.bin? It should be useing the ACT led for the flashes.
I have the latest from apt-get update/upgrade. I don't use rpi-update.
Just re-checked - and it's not pulled new firmware.
Yeah, the firmware in the repository (installable via apt-get) gets updated at a much slower rate than the firmware installable using rpi-update. I think http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=80023 is aiming to be the best of both worlds ;)
The ACT LED works fine in the kernel for the SD card access, but it reverts to the old LED at halt time.
Yeah, while Linux (kernel.img) is running, Linux has control of the GPIOs. Before or after Linux is running, bootcode.bin has controls of the GPIOs. And the problem is that in the 2014-06-20 version of Raspbian (and the current "apt-get firmware version"), kernel.img has been updated with the new ACT LED GPIO, but bootcode.bin hasn't.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:10 am

Sounds like someone put the wrong reel on the pick and place machine, I suspect there are a few thousand like it.

AndrewS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 am

gregeric wrote:All fine with the Raspbian partition of a previous NOOBS microSD, but the NOOBS software itself appears not to have drivers for the upgraded USB hub/ethernet IC, as I cannot select OS's from the NOOBS menu.
Which version of NOOBS was that? What do you mean by "cannot select OS's" - the keyboard (or mouse) is totally unresponsive, or something else?
Is there a way to update just the NOOBS boot partition?
It's not really recommended, but you could try extracting the files from NOOBS Lite over the top of your current RECOVERY (i.e. NOOBS) partition? Note that this obviously won't update any of the OS installation images, and in versions of NOOBS prior to 1.3.8 not all the OSes are compatible with the Model B+. And if you *do* try this, you'll also need to take the 'runinstaller' option out of recovery.cmdline to stop NOOBS deleting your existing partitions.

Recommended solution is to just backup any files you need, reformat the card, and start afresh with NOOBS v1.3.9 ;)

AndrewS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 am

plugwash wrote:
Sounds like someone put the wrong reel on the pick and place machine, I suspect there are a few thousand like it.
I thought I remember reading that the machines scan the barcode on the reels as they get inserted, to prevent that kind of error?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:48 am

Someone presumablly still has to put the barcodes on the reels in the first place.

mikronauts

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 am

UPS dropped off the three Pi B+'s I ordered yesterday morning around 7pm tonight!!!

Looks great!

Love the extra USB's & GPIO's, and better power supply.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

alias_neo

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 am

Finally got high current mode to work on my Pi. I had to use the "old" style gpio safe mode flag even though I'm running the latest firmware.

For some reason my config.txt is getting wiped on a reboot, and if I try to modify it from the running Pi I get an I/O error on save. I'm hoping it's just a dodgy microSD and [email protected] replace it and try again.

My Portapow power meter should arrive today so I'll do a comparison on my blog of the power requirements etc.

Can't wait.
http://2byt.es - Just my two bytes - RPi - Android - Arduino - Blog

Return to “General discussion”