liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Who's got their hands on a B+ so far?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm

I've got one, obviously...who else has had one delivered today? Did any of you manage to get one of the Farnell icecream truck freebies?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

RaTTuS

Re: Who's got their hands on a B+ so far?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 pm

no - one is on it's way to me from the folks at cpc...
and I'm not n london so could not get anywhere near there ;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

PiGraham

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes, I have one, thanks to you lovely people at RPF and Farnell.

What's this icecream truck freebies? Have I missed out? :cry:
Never mind, the B+ is my gift.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:29 pm

sparkfun were doing something with pickup & ice cream yesterday too unfortunately they are several states away so i couldn't take advantage

g7ruh

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 pm

I got one today via the Royal Mail letter post and Farnell. Sure looks cute and those LEDs on the Ethernet connector are the business!

liz

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

This was the e14 ice cream giveaway: http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... b-giveaway

(We were very, very sad they weren't doing it in Cambridge...)

SteveSpencer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:35 pm

I had two delivered at lunchtime, but mine came from RS, not Farnell, so no freebies.
On the other hand, of course, they did both work straight out of the box with the micro-SD cards that I had been using in model B's up until last night - as you'd expect.

Like the new layout, although my 4-pole connectors don't arrive until tomorrow, and of course, none of my existing cases fit. But then, I have more B Pi's than B cases anyway, and with the mounting holes, I can stack them :)
They overclocked and stress-tested well up to 1GHz.

I've seen elsewhere (including comments on the blog) about it being kept a secret. I think of it more as a surprise :) and fully appreciate the commercial reasons for not sharing earlier.

Obviously, my existing boards haven't become obsolete overnight; my trusty rev 1 256MB model Bs are still happily running, with an occasional firmware update. All of the software I use will run on any of the models, and any new stuff will too.

Although not in education, as anyone who's been next to me when I begin talking about RPi and the Foundation would vouch that I could probably cut it as an evangelist for them, and as my 14 year old will testify, I'm all in favour of their use to improve real computer knowledge (and enthusiasm) as opposed to the watered down ICT stuff. I'm impressed that we have access to a small family of compatible products, rather than suffering from "you need to upgrade to model XYZ" with the usual re-tooling that goes along with it.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

liz wrote:This was the e14 ice cream giveaway: http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... b-giveaway

(We were very, very sad they weren't doing it in Cambridge...)
should have sent an intern with a cooler bag to get a few servings. would only have taken about 8 hours there and back

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Ordered 1 from RS yesterday and delivered today, great evolution, thanks RPF 8-)
Retired disgracefully.....

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:05 pm

liz wrote:I've got one, obviously...who else has had one delivered today? Did any of you manage to get one of the Farnell icecream truck freebies?
According to mum mines been delivered but I'm at work at the moment so I won't get my hands on it until the evening :/

Mettauk

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Just arrived via RS along with a Pi Noir camera module.... :D
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 pm

SteveSpencer wrote:I had two delivered at lunchtime, but mine came from RS, not Farnell, so no freebies.
Me as well !
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

rpdom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Ordered from Farnell yesterday afternoon. Arrived this morning while I was at work. No freebies and I wasn't in London :(

mikerr

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Mine arrived today, now working on a 3d printed case for it
will stick it on thingiverse when done of course ;)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

liz

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Brilliant - drop me an email when you're done; it'd be nice to share it.

Mortimer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Ordered from RS, arrived this morning, a bit squished, but hopefully OK. It will be a few days before I get a chance to try it out now, as something else has cropped up which is being a bit demanding of my time.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

mikronauts

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:23 pm

I ordered four from MCM yesterday - minutes after getting an email from them saying they have it in stock. Supposedly they will ship USPS today :)

Since that will take about a week to arrive, I checked Newark today - and they finally fixed their issues with ordering B+'s!

As I ordered some from Newark before noon today, I should have three Raspberry Pi Model B+'s in my hands tomorrow!!!!!!

I plan on posting photos showing how RoboPi, EZasPi and Pi Jumper fit on the Model B+ as soon as I can.
liz wrote:I've got one, obviously...who else has had one delivered today? Did any of you manage to get one of the Farnell icecream truck freebies?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

MaxK1

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm

I just picked one up from Microcenter - - They had "a bunch" about an hour ago. And I haven't even had time to void the warranty yet! ;-)
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Jessie

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 pm

ukscone wrote:sparkfun were doing something with pickup & ice cream yesterday too unfortunately they are several states away so i couldn't take advantage
I wish I had known that, they near Denver I could have driven a couple hours to get one. Alas, today I'm too busy.

g7ruh

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:07 pm

mikerr wrote:Mine arrived today, now working on a 3d printed case for it
will stick it on thingiverse when done of course ;)

AH! just what I need, I have a 3d printer on order and a brace of B+ needing a good home :D

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Been doing some B+ power measurements today. Another 3 hour upload and we should have a little vid/blog tomorrow. In the meantime, there's this in the power thread...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 03#p578103
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

guzunty

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:24 pm

I got one courtesy of Farnell, working great.

One thing I noticed though, I expected to just put an existing image onto a micro SD and go. It didn't happen that way. My image, made with dd booted ok, but the USB ports were not powered up, so no wi-fi, keyboard or anything else.

Works fine with a fresh install of Raspbian, so I'm wondering if there are some config settings somewhere that get set up on first boot. Anyone in the know? I'd sure like to know where/what they are. I didn't see anything unusual in the config files in /boot.

TIA,

Derek
Guzunty: A fully programmable peripheral you build yourself! https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 pm

guzunty wrote:I got one courtesy of Farnell, working great.

One thing I noticed though, I expected to just put an existing image onto a micro SD and go. It didn't happen that way. My image, made with dd booted ok, but the USB ports were not powered up, so no wi-fi, keyboard or anything else.

Works fine with a fresh install of Raspbian, so I'm wondering if there are some config settings somewhere that get set up on first boot. Anyone in the know? I'd sure like to know where/what they are. I didn't see anything unusual in the config files in /boot.

TIA,

Derek
That's due to older firmare which didn't support it yet. I would hope that the firmware in the repo is recent enough and you can fix it by running apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade, but if that's not the case, rpi-update or the nightly firmware packages should do the job.

repton

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 pm

I got one from Farnell.

Just need to redesign the PCBs for the expansion boards I make to suit it now...

Paul
UK Supplier of 1-Wire components, kits and modules:
http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/

guzunty

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I would hope that the firmware in the repo is recent enough and you can fix it by running apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade, but if that's not the case, rpi-update or the nightly firmware packages should do the job.
Great, thanks for that advice. I can boot it on an older Pi and try that.

best,

Derek
Guzunty: A fully programmable peripheral you build yourself! https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

Return to “General discussion”