jbudd

Re: How to label those tiny micro sd cards?

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 am

If micros SD cards had existed when I was a kid, I'd have used a sticky label and a 0.18mm Rotring pen.

These days I swap the card out, put it down somewhere and can't see where I put the damn thing. So I buy a new one.

As a system it has it's faults, but at least there are no solvents required.

jardino

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am

And why are they (mostly) coloured black? After they fall on my dark blue carpet, they are gone for ever - until they meet their nemesis, the vacuum cleaner. Why can't they be coloured day-glo orange or something?

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

k-pi

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pm

The first time I got hold of a micro SD card, I knew they'd be trouble, so small that you can hardly handle them. :roll:

So, I use a couple of 64GB for quick back ups, but they stay in their SD card converter, unless I have to insert it into a micro slot.

When I got my first RPi3B, I knew I had to use USB booting on it, so the micro SD card was only used to set the OTB, from then on, I either use a pendrive, (most of the time), or a 2.5" external HDD powered from a USB hub.

I did try using a 3.5" external drive, but it just felt so wrong. ;)

LStreet

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Same as/Similar to Richard TX from 2014...
Brother P-touch, 9mm tape, set margins to Narrow, always use 2 lines of text, type in as much as you want and put ~2mm of tape starting from leading blank margin of tape on top of card (over lump), ~4mm on bottom of card, lined up so you can stick the loop halves together cleanly on top of each other. The printed side (or most of it) will face up when in the Pi and you also have a nice pull tab.

timrowledge

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 pm

I use a bit of masking tape, folded over so it sticks to both sides of the SD card and long enough to make a label area and a very convenient handle for pulling it out of the slot. Or indeed picking it up from the tin I keep spare cards in, or off the floor.
fullsizeoutput_25ef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_25ef.jpeg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Poorly focussed photobooth shop. Reality isn't quite as fuzzy. Normally.
fullsizeoutput_25f0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_25f0.jpeg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Even help identify a running system.

The manufacturers missed a chance to add a tiny hole at the end of the card so that a labe could be attached a bit more easily.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

wizzel

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 am

I don't label them. I put them in an SD-Card Adapter Card and label those.
Topic can be closed. :lol:
Attachments
ZX Spectrum.jpg
ZX Spectrum.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Amiga.jpg
Amiga.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
recalbox (embossed).jpg
recalbox (embossed).jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

0ByteSolutions

Fri May 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Again, I noticed this is an 'older' thread - But I have been fighting this lack in the industry for years.

I could never write that small (or neat), so I created a label template for MS Word (2016) that I can type in, then print to Avery 5520 labels. They are thin, water-resistant and easy to remove (if/when needed). It also works with the 5160 labels, but I find them to be just a little too thick. The only 'hard part' is using the scissors to cut on the dotted lines.

If anyone finds it of interest, I've attached it here:
Avery 5160 - SD + MicroSD Labels.7z
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
. I've included a few 'pre-filled' tables that you can copy to other labels on the template and customize as you like. Throw me a kudo if you think it's useful. ;)
example.jpg
example.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

jschank

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm planning to use a label maker - and fold the label, so that part sticks on the top and bottom, and makes a tail.

emma1997

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 pm

Must be necro-day in Piland.

I find with label on both sides it wont fit many slots. Need pliers to get back out. Too bad we must pull out the microscope to read them.

Color coding the edge with nail polish helps but there's only room for 5 or so dots before you start needing loupe for that too. Here's a pic from a while back before color coding in earnest:

RaspbianUser1

Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 am

Instead of labelling the card, why not buy a case and label a case with adequate space to write on
Running either Raspberry Pi OS desktop Full or Raspberry Pi OS MATE desktop
Overclocked at 2147MHz CPU and 700 MHz GPU with a over voltage of 7, max or nothing
Think before you delete something a stranger on the internet told you to.

rpdom

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:36 am

That's only useful until you take the card out of the case and it gets mixed up with other cards.
Unreadable squiggle

bjtheone

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:56 am

Just need to up your OCD game.... Labelled cases work. Plus worst case I can mount them and check the volume label.

hippy

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 pm

I definitely need to label the cards themselves, and memory sticks. I've got a card in my Pi 4B, another in a USB card reader for USB booting, a memory stick for the same, another card laying in the bottom of the plastic box the 4B is sitting in, and another next to that in an adapter.

At one point, and not so long ago, I knew what each were. Now I haven't a clue.

bls

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Label the case (aka MicroSD to SD adapter) using Avery 6737 labels. Also put a number on each "case", and write that same number on the MicroSD card using a thin point felt marker. Now you can match the MicroSD Card to a Case, and know what it does.

The Avery 6737 labels are a great size for this, but they do tend to be a bit stickier than I'd prefer. That said, they don't stand up to a fingernail or razor blade :lol: (hmm...and just noticed that my as-yet-unopened new pack says "Removable", so maybe my fingernails will get a rest!)
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized-just-for-you SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm
Easily run your network's DHCP/DNS on a Pi: https://github.com/gitbls/ndm
Easy strongSwan VPN installer/manager: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong
Lightweight Virtual VNC Config: https://github.com/gitbls/RPiVNCHowTo

procount

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:28 pm

SDcards.jpg
SDcards.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 366 times
I use Edding 780 white pen that writes on glass, metal & plastic, then use folded over sellotape stuck to both sides to stop it being rubbed off and also serves as an extraction puller.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

fd_

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:21 pm

Thought I'd share my idea as well: I've built a simple device from an Arduino Nano, a microSD interface and a small display as a solution to this problem. It loads the label from a text file named label.txt on the boot partition. The Arduino library I use can only read FAT32 partitions, but luckily the same restriction applies to the Raspberry Pi's bootloader. In addition to displaying the label, the software on the Arduino also retrieves the modification timestamp of the kernel image and shows the values from various card info registers.

Software is all up and running, though I still haven't gotten around to deciding what batteries to power this thing from and how I could fit it into a nice case.

bls

Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:22 pm

fd_ wrote:
Thought I'd share my idea as well: I've built a simple device from an Arduino Nano, a microSD interface and a small display as a solution to this problem. It loads the label from a text file named label.txt on the boot partition. The Arduino library I use can only read FAT32 partitions, but luckily the same restriction applies to the Raspberry Pi's bootloader. In addition to displaying the label, the software on the Arduino also retrieves the modification timestamp of the kernel image and shows the values from various card info registers.

Software is all up and running, though I still haven't gotten around to deciding what batteries to power this thing from and how I could fit it into a nice case.
This is pretty slick! And, it would make a super-nice addon for my SD Card manager. sdm could easily write useful information onto the SD Cards when it operates on them. Interested in a bit of collaboration on this?
Pi tools:
Quickly and easily build customized-just-for-you SD Cards: https://github.com/gitbls/sdm

fd_

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 pm

bls wrote:
fd_ wrote:

This is pretty slick! And, it would make a super-nice addon for my SD Card manager. sdm could easily write useful information onto the SD Cards when it operates on them. Interested in a bit of collaboration on this?
Sure! Let me know how I can contribute! I'd be happy to share my code, though I suspect some quality might have been lost by me squeezing it to fit into the tiny memory of the ATmega168P (it's a cheap Nano V3 clone) I had at hand.

bls

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:37 pm

fd_ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 pm
bls wrote:
fd_ wrote:

Sure! Let me know how I can contribute! I'd be happy to share my code, though I suspect some quality might have been lost by me squeezing it to fit into the tiny memory of the ATmega168P (it's a cheap Nano V3 clone) I had at hand.
Great! Please email me at blsrpf@outlook.com so we can connect directly and discuss in detail. Thanks!
Pi tools:

cleverca22

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:10 pm

fd_ wrote:

neat, and also gives me ideas on other features you can do
you could open up the start.elf file, and find the version of its firmware, and report that on the display
you could report if its new enough to support something like the pi400 (there is a bitfield for that)

emma1997

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Can't we somehow get relays, MOSFETs, or more internet or Bluetooth involved here? Or how about RFID (good enough for dogs so what about us)? This pencil and paper stuff is so 1990's. lol

andrum99

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:06 pm

I use a DiMeCard, which holds 8 micro SD cards and has little bits to write things on: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DiMeCard-micro ... B00ANN99HO

Along with a fine tipped "dry wipe" marker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Not as foolproof as labelling the cards themselves, but good enough for my purposes :D

Return to “General discussion”