appdev007

Compute IO Board Cost

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... w-product/
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dule-space

The official page says the module will cost $30 per 100 units, but it doesn't mention the cost of the IO board. Element14 is listing the bundle at $215; so let call the worst case per single unit cost of the module $40. That would make the IO board $175! That seems to be out of proportion to the cost they are building PI model B for. I'm using the model B as an example because it shares components with the IO board (some size of circuit board, RJ-45, USB, ...). I realize the DIM slot, extra pin headers, those big chips in the middle, and a bigger board cost more; but that much?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Compute IO Board Cost

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm

The I/0 Board is aimed at the Embedded Market not Consumers and at the $230.00 price point is extremely cheap for a development kit, it is not made in huge numbers and therefore manufacturing costs are far higher, as well as the cost to produce schematics must be factored in.

The RPF expect that 3rd parties will offer a range of I/O Boards with various features, therefore eventually one will be able to buy a board to suit their needs.

Though as stated it is aimed at the Embedded Market !!!
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi,
appdev007 wrote:That would make the IO board $175! That seems to be out of proportion to the cost they are building PI model B for.
There are three variables in equation which defines a computer (IT product) selling price: quantity, quantity and quantity.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

appdev007

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I'll put my money on the fact that at least 78% of the people who wanted a model B instead of an A are also going to one a computer module and I/O board. They have to know this and know they are going to sell plenty of them. I wonder what the ratio of private to commercial purchase is for the regular PI boards. This one my tip the scale toward commercial, but I bet not as much as one might think.

rpdom

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 pm

appdev007 wrote:I'll put my money on the fact that at least 78% of the people who wanted a model B instead of an A are also going to one a computer module and I/O board. They have to know this and know they are going to sell plenty of them. I wonder what the ratio of private to commercial purchase is for the regular PI boards. This one my tip the scale toward commercial, but I bet not as much as one might think.
Most average users will be happy with their Model A, B or B+.

The really keen hobbyists will want a CM and IO board to play with.

Commercial producers will initially want a CM and IO board, then if it suits their purpose they may order a small number of IO boards and large numbers of CMs, possibly many thousands or more.

Killertechno

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi to all, I'm taking a look to Compute IO boards on RS: version 1 it's 20 euro while version 2 it's 113 euro (6 times greater).
At first look to schematics I can see only microSD card (absent in v1 board), so why so expensive?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:25 pm

The original IO board was >$100 IIRC, so its the original that is discounted, not the new one that is expensive.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Killertechno wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm
Hi to all, I'm taking a look to Compute IO boards on RS: version 1 it's 20 euro while version 2 it's 113 euro (6 times greater).
At first look to schematics I can see only microSD card (absent in v1 board), so why so expensive?
The CMIO3 also handles enough power for the CM3. This is like the difference in power requirements going from a B+ to a Pi3B.

What is probably going on is that they are trying to get rid of any remaining CMIO1 boards, since a CMIO3 will handle a CM1 just fine, but the reverse is a bit dicey. If you are only using CM1 modules, then take the opportunity to get extra CMIO1 boards if you think you'll need them.

Killertechno

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am

handles enough power
What?????
I mean, does CM3 really needs so much power than CM1?
I'm migrating from Zero (reading from serial port and writing to a second serial port using USB to serial adapter, just this), battery powered application to CM due to flexibility of CM board on OEM applications.
So for comparison with Zero I think I'll take CM1 and CM1 board....

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:12 pm

CMIO is intended for development only as people interrested in using the Compute Module tend to develop their custom I/O(base)board with the size and functions their commercial application needs.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 pm

appdev007 wrote:
Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 pm
http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... w-product/
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dule-space

The official page says the module will cost $30 per 100 units, but it doesn't mention the cost of the IO board. Element14 is listing the bundle at $215; so let call the worst case per single unit cost of the module $40. That would make the IO board $175! That seems to be out of proportion to the cost they are building PI model B for. I'm using the model B as an example because it shares components with the IO board (some size of circuit board, RJ-45, USB, ...). I realize the DIM slot, extra pin headers, those big chips in the middle, and a bigger board cost more; but that much?
As a compute module user, you are expected to roll your own "application board", which should end up costing only a fraction of the IO Board, when you create them in much larger numbers than the IO Board, also because they should only contain the components that are essential for your application, and nothing else.

Return to “General discussion”